Author Topic: House and contents insurance.  (Read 6611 times)

Offline micky mouse

House and contents insurance.
« on: October 31, 2007, 17:07:16 PM »
Hi everyone,is there anyone out there that can reconmend house insurance as mine has yet again gone up.Infact for turkey its very exspensive.I am at present in the UK so a phone number would be helpful,it was due on the 28th,October,but its trebled over the past four years.Many thanks.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 12:07:29 PM by stoop »

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 18:30:05 PM »
baris in fethiye,i will try and find his number

Offline Neil Carey

• Pc Plantpot
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 20:06:34 PM »
Try these two companies: Dask )(www.dask.gov.tr)(Fethiye) 2526144020 not sure of dialing code from UK
Also YapiKredi (Fethiye)(Email rep. address ulkeng@hotmail.com) 2526149856, this one I found very reasonable, however I note this year the company required a tax number before the cover would be issued. Hope this is of some assistance.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 20:13:06 PM by Neil Carey »

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 21:45:53 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by puma

baris in fethiye,i will try and find his number

You'll get all his contact details on his web site: http://www.barisconsultancy.com

He's one of the good guys, will definitely get you sorted.

JF

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 23:34:47 PM »
I used Intasure here in the UK via a post from Scunner and saved about £50 per annum on my previous Turkish insurance.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:15 AM »
Hmm... and where are Intasure if you need to make a claim?

Baris is easy enough to find and, from experience, will fight your corner with the claims dept every time.  Will Intasure do that... I don't think so.

JF

Offline HappyMonday

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 07:24:27 AM »
Not sure how good they are - but they were extremely efficient on the couple of times that I called their contact centre and able to explain clearly what was covered etc. Lets hope I never have to use.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 08:05:30 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by JohnF

Hmm... and where are Intasure if you need to make a claim?

Baris is easy enough to find and, from experience, will fight your corner with the claims dept every time.  Will Intasure do that... I don't think so.

JF

John, it sounds like you have had a negative experience with Intasure- is that the case and is it something you are willing to share?

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
Not had a negative experience as such - but out of curiosity (and to keep Baris on his toes) I've had a few quotes from them for different properties over the past year or so.  Other than one quote, which was a lot more expensive than we currently pay, the others were fairly competitive but not earth shatteringly cheap.  

At the time of one of the quotes I think it was Aviva who were underwriting their policies which makes it all sound like a good deal, on the surface...

However, what they quote as advantages to buying from them I consider to be "disadvantages".

Firstly, they are a U.K. company and all claim handling is carried out in the U.K.  They do *not* have any local agents, you have to deal with a local loss adjuster in the event of a claim - and guess who's interests he will have at heart?  This situation may be fine in the U.K. but given issues like language and different procedures I know I would want someone on *my* side involved in the event of a major claim.

Secondly, if you read the policy document - ok I know not many folk do read the "small print" but there is a very important exclusion in respect of Turkey and earthquakes.  If your property is not built with a "steel concrete carcass" (their words) then you're not covered.  I'm no civil engineer but I do know that not every property in Turkey meets that standard.

Thirdly, stuff like English policy document, pay in sterling, underwritten by Lloyds etc - I can get all that with a local agent.  One of our policies is with AIG - not exactly a small player in the insurance market.  We also have public liability cover - it's just not described as that in the policy document - this type of cover is gradually entering the Turkish market, traditionally it's never been required...

If buying your policy from a faceless UK company makes you feel good then great, go for it.  Personally I prefer to keep my business local and contribute to the local economy by using a local insurance agent, in my case Baris.  He handles all our insurance, including DASK, even for property in Istanbul and is easily contactable by phone or email (and his English is better than mine).

If you do have a claim, Baris (and most other local agents) will help you deal with the insurers and any other official/legal body as required - and he's good at it.

JF

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:52:35 AM by JohnF »

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 18:00:24 PM »
Thanks John, very comprehensive! Gulp!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf