Author Topic: Rip off man  (Read 8670 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »
no it's in Fethiye Heather

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 10:05:15 AM »
Oops!! that is why I had trouble placing a bank :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
If he stayed at your villa why didn't he just say who is is and that he stayed at your house? I'm not comfortable with rwr, and wasn't from his first post believe it or not. Once again someone who gives no details, i.e. no name, no introduction, hotmai/yahoo type email address, the ususal vague profile thinks they can snipe with anonymity.

The rules are you can be controversial, but you should provide details so people can at least know who you are.

I am suspending rwr until he provides his real name, real email address and decides to make his next post his introduction. As he won't be able to post in the mean time, he will need to contact me - admin at calis-beach co uk.

I'm not anti-anything, I think those with something to snipe about should tell us who they are. You don't even have to make an introduction post on CBF these days, but if you are going to become aggressive or controversial you will be sent there to do so. Then you can be aggressive or controversial if you wish, within the usual guidelines.

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 13:02:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by karenr

We have used this chap in the shop for the last three years....I can honestly say that we have had the money exchanged at the correct rate and never been ripped off. He counts it out infront of yoy....and believe me I recount it and do not leave the shop until I am happy. I am surprised at the topic about him. Im sure each and everyone of you are right but I must say we have had no problems in the three years :)

I think the fact that he has been made the subject of previous posts should demonstrate that he is not 100% kosher. It's great that you dont appear to have been ripped off but like I've said previously, I would not consider changing my money with someone who may or may not  attempt to scam me. There have been far too many reported instances of this being the case for me to want to cross his threshold.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 13:10:42 PM »
My feeling too, I've never been ripped off by him, I've never used him - but I've read (and heard) of plenty enough incidents to ensure I never will.

Offline littlereddevil

Rip off man
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 13:37:04 PM »
Me too, I don't even go in his shop to look at the clothes.

Offline xxbilleigh-joxx

Rip off man
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 16:16:00 PM »
in reply to karenr's post, i too have always used this man..

HOWEVER...

what you see on the calculator and what you actually recieve IS usually correct (unless he's trying to con you twice, which apparently isn't unheard of)...

the con is, as has been mentioned, you don't recieve the board rate but slightly lower (dont quote me but i think he says the board rate is for credit cards).. this isnt ususally mentioned unless you ask and his fingers go that fast over the calculator keys, it is easy baffling to those who arnt too great with exchanging and foreign currency. my mum has been coming to calis for 10 years and still cant work out lira to sterling.. bless her!

another way he works it, as i believe has been mentioned on here before is that if the board says for example 2.90ytl/£ (two nine) he offers to round it up to 2.10ytl/£ (two ten.)
again, that can easily sound like a better deal to those who arn't aware.

I have always double checked and have only had to argue the rate once, after informing him that i used to work in exchange and told him i had no porblem taking my business elsewhere if he wasnt going to play fair, he relented.

I now change my money in calis, even though he's never managed to con me, i dont see why he should get my business when so many others arnt so fortunate. I urge others to do the same....

he should have "qualified con artist" on his desk rather than "trainee millionaire"!!

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 21:36:50 PM »
My friend who is well known to Scunner. Used this guy one day last week with no problems as he had calculated how much he should receive back. However on going back a week later he was short changed by 90 TL. When pulled up about it he said"oh yes sorry" and gave him 50TL. At this point my friend told him very firmly that he wanted ALL of what he was owed and what was offered. Maybe This guy thought he had lulled him into a false sense of security the week before.Big mistake trying to con a Yorkshire man.!!

Offline minxer

Rip off man
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 22:34:30 PM »
i have changed money with the guy in fethiye,, he tries to confuse you by counting out the money extremely quickly with lots of hand gestures and chat inbetween to confuse you. if you actually work out exactly what you should get b4 you go in for the change, and then count it back to him B4 you leave the counter you can actually come away better off,as he cannot go back on the exchange rate he advertizes wich is always higher!! as he doesnt bet on people doing this. i agree though for the unsuspecting tourist/visitors he is on a winner.
i also recommend gurbuz from onur jewellers or the guy who hangs around the dondurma icecream palour on calis beach front.. never been given a bad deal by either of these men. :)

Offline Jukebox

• Leeds, UK
  • Prolific Member
Rip off man
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 23:40:31 PM »
Can someone please explain WHY they go to change money with this bloke when they know he tries to rip them off? I dont get it. It's one thing giving advice on how to avoid him scamming you but why the feck do you go to him in the first place? Am I missing something here?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf