Author Topic: The release of the Lockerbie bomber  (Read 9141 times)

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
The release of the Lockerbie bomber
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 22:03:59 PM »
England,Scotland,USA and others are pleased to see a "closure" to this matter for a lot of reasons.The politicians are just paying lip service at the moment because of the publics outrage.Then,----back to business!!
  :-\:-\

Offline Sharon_Lawtey

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 23:01:05 PM »
why should he be released on compassionate grounds when he didn't show any compassion when he blew that plane up, don't agree with it

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 00:12:20 AM »
BREAKING NEWS.11-40 pm gmt.
Gaddafi's son has just announced that the bombers release WAS linked to a Libya-United Kingdom Trade Deal! (he was on holiday with Mandleson last week).No 10 are denying a deal was done.So much for the victims.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:57:45 AM »
So we are in bed with the devil now thanks to that great chap Brown.

Nice.

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:38:35 AM »
I am very pleased that the Scottish Justice Secretary has properly applied Scottish law in releasing the prisoner on compassionate grounds. He could have courted short-term popularity with voters or kowtowed to the huge threatening power of the US Presidencial apparatus. But he didn't. What Libya makes of it is irrelevent as far as I am concerned; Scottish justice is not responsible for the behaviour of foreign governments and citizens. Nor do I take seriously remarks about mass murderers not showing compassion. Of course they dont; that's what makes them mass murderers. I have no intention of ever basing my own moral judgments and actions upon their example. If a coutry's legal system specifies conditions and criteria for release of prisoners on compassionate grounds then it is these that should determine the decision, not other issues. I heard an American lawyer on the radio saying that people in the US wouldn't understand this as the US legal system has no concept of compassion. Quite, and they can keep it.

For the first time in my life I rather wish I was Scottish - so I could swell with pride that my little country has a legal system robust enough to see the right thing done, according to Scottish law, despite the bullying attempts of a world superpower and crass press barons.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:27:58 AM »
Colwyn

I assume from your post that had Ian Brady had been convicted under Scots Law and was believed to have only 3 months to live, you would have no difficulty in releasing him on compassionate grounds.

Offline mike A

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »
At last, a balanced post on the subject. Thank you Colwyn.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 11:11:13 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Colwyn

I am very pleased that the Scottish Justice Secretary has properly applied Scottish law in releasing the prisoner on compassionate grounds.

The fact that the law allows for release on compassionate grounds surely does not mean that MacAskills decision was correct in this case.

If a coutry's legal system specifies conditions and criteria for release of prisoners on compassionate grounds then it is these that should determine the decision, not other issues.

Does "not other issues", include the degree or severity of the crime

For the first time in my life I rather wish I was Scottish - so I could swell with pride that my little country has a legal system robust enough to see the right thing done, according to Scottish law, despite the bullying attempts of a world superpower and crass press barons.

I'm afraid that presupposes that the decision was taken on compassionate grounds and compassionate grounds alone

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 12:51:32 PM »
Ali Al-Magri was found guilty of blowing 270 human beings out of the sky.He deserves no more compassion than he showed his victims.How much compassion has the Scottish Courts shown to the feelings of the relatives of those victims?Or does it only study the wellbeing of the guilty?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf