Author Topic: Household Insurance  (Read 2029 times)

Offline mikrik

Household Insurance
« on: January 23, 2010, 19:56:41 PM »
A word of warning - Check the small print on your household insurance.
Friends of mine who were burgled recently got another unpleasant surprise when they submitted a claim to their insurance company. The company only pays 10% of the cost price of jewellery if the items were not kept in a locked safe.

Offline ovaciksarah

Household Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:45:17 AM »
Surely, most people have a safe fitted securely for all valuables even if they don,t live here and just holiday

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Household Insurance
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:29:03 AM »
I cannot understand anyone around your area not keeping valuables in a safe, after reading about all the burglaries by opportunist thieves where jewellery etc., is  taken it would be mad not to have a safe.   Why would an insurance company cover jewellery that is just left lying around a premises waiting to be snatched up?   Even though we only have a holiday home in Calis, we got a safe immediately, and always put valuables in it when we go out.

Offline tillyfloss

Household Insurance
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »

We got told that getting a safe was pointless because thieves will
target it and more than likely rip it out and take it with them anyway.  We were informed this by ex police officers and sure enough it has happened in our village.

Offline friar tuck

Household Insurance
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
Surely the point is if you take all reasonable precautions i.e fitting a safe and putting valuables in said safe you are more likely to have a claim paid than not.  :D

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Household Insurance
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by tillyfloss

We got told that getting a safe was pointless because thieves will
target it and more than likely rip it out and take it with them anyway.  We were informed this by ex police officers and sure enough it has happened in our village.

Ours is a floor standing model, we looked at the small ones but decided if we are going to get one, we will get a substantial one that cannot be taken out of the house easily.   Bought it at Erin Spot, took 4 guys to lift it into the house.  
We have a friend in the Police Force, he told us a determined thief will take anything, but they will always look for the easy option. I  think a house without a safe fits that bill. ;)

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
Household Insurance
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 15:38:27 PM »
You may think it pointless to have a safe but if the terms of your insurance dictate you should don't whinge when you claim does not get paid.:(

Offline Firo

Household Insurance
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 21:02:58 PM »
Also bear in mind a lot of the household policies here will only allow 10% of your contents insurance to cover jewellery ie: 40,000tl contents insurance will give you 4000tl cover for jewellery if kept in a safe.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf