Author Topic: thomas cook to charge for films  (Read 2525 times)

Offline littlereddevil

thomas cook to charge for films
« on: June 15, 2010, 15:47:07 PM »
Thomas Cook is to start charging to watch films. £7.50 for a handheld device with a choice of 8 films.
Not from me they won't

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 15:57:16 PM »
How ridiculous, I have such a thing of my own and I can't be bothered with it and that's free :D

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 16:02:49 PM »
So will they charge you to take your own device on ? The Grandchildren always take portable dvds and cartoons which keep them wonderfully quiet during a four hour flight and on more than one occasion have had very favouable comments by nearby passengers on their behaviour :)

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 16:12:49 PM »
No I shouldn't think they will charge you to watch your own !

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 16:13:31 PM »
I can't see how they can - it would mean banning more than portable dvd players - it would have to include laptops, netbooks, iphones etc etc.

Maybe if they charge they might work out that not everyone finds Mr Bean hilarious. I can't see a single person paying £7.50 - sleep is better (and cheaper).

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 17:34:20 PM »
They went round with handheld something on our trip in may.  Still had  films on overhead screen.
On longhaul to carribean they had a card that gave access to other films and music but there were several free films, music and games so didn't feel the need.

Offline tribalelder

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 19:58:42 PM »
The report I saw said the charge would only apply to short/medium haul flights.

Offline poppy50

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 20:43:59 PM »
Hi

On our flight end of May (whitsun) nothing on the overhead tv at all and from what I could see only four had portable dvd players off TC.  Can't see them making much money on this idea.  Whatever happened to customer service.[?]

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 21:21:56 PM »
During our very recent flight, I asked why no films were being shown. They said it was cutbacks!!!!!LOL and I could hire a device for £7.50 if I wanted to watch a film. Nae chance! So I settled down to have a shut eye...Nae chance again. The flight was like "Supermarket Sweep", trying to see how much you could buy and spend in the one flight. Constant overly loud announcements about what was "available to purchse on board our aircraft today". 1st there was the opportunity to buy magazines, (try a sleep again....nope) then scratchcards, (well maybe I can catch 40 winks now....nope) then drinks, (ok, a wee gin will settle me nicely for a quick nap....nope), then Kit Kats and Mars bars, Pringles, and Starbucks coffee. Hidden amongst all that junk was a microwaved cardboard box of chilli" which the flight attendant assured passengers was worth buying for those who hadn't pre paid for a meal. Yuk!. Right, ear plugs out now, eyes closing....LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, WE WILL NOW COMMENCE THE DUTY FREE AND GIFTS TROLLEY SERVICE". OMG, it was never ending. A planned 20 minute break in service brought no respite either as pasengers were encouraged to walk aroung the plane to "stretch their legs". This meant everyone and their Granny hanging over and leaning on other folks seats to talk to their pals/relations who couldn't get a seat beside each other on the flight. Last straw was the final round of drinks, followed by a mad clean up dash as plane was...."Cabin crew, 10 minutes to landing". I was glad to get home for a rest!!!

:o

Offline Jenny1

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 21:58:51 PM »
Toky you are so right, they do this any time of day or night, so annoying! Don't know if it's just me but I can't watch a film, listening to it from something stuck in my ear! I hate flying, it bores me so much! I have books, sweets etc, worse than a fidgety kid!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf