Author Topic: Harry for the Job  (Read 2452 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:57:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ovacikpeedoff

[nutshell]Does it matter that much who is manager because at the end of the day England does not have the players that could win the World Cup[/nutshell]

Offline micky mouse

Harry for the Job
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 11:56:07 AM »
England ladies could have performed better than that lot of over paid idiots, tired? rubbish,to much money,to much carring on with other women,we need young fresh players like walcott etc and thats coming from a staunch fulham supporter.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

You can disagree all you like...

Oh good ;). Here goes then.

Surely his record with Switzerland would lead you to believe that he might be quite useful as an international manager especially if he had had the present English squad of players to work with.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
No! There is no future for "the present English squad of players", there is no comparison between the Swiss National team manager job and the English one, and the press would tie old turkey neck up in knots. I think it's fair to say he was Switzerland's manager during a time that coincided with their best crop of players for a long time and I am also correct in saying that they got knocked out of WC 1994, beaten by three clear goals in the round of 16 after scraping into second place in their group.

Sounds familiar...

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Harry for the Job
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 15:16:59 PM »
I read he was being considered to take over from Fergie now that the special one has gone to Real Madrid. I do think what he has achieved has been magnificent but hate to do this H - but I am going to agree with Scunner [:(!]

I remember him sat in the stands at Blackburn - stone faced - not knowing what to do.

Maybe he has learnt from that but the main reason I would hate to see him take the job is he is far too nice a man.

Now Harry - plays the press - skin like a rhino - knows his stuff and my word we would be in in for some fun and attacking football and after Sunday - I would settle for fun and attacking football!!! :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 15:18:06 PM by Ian »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 15:25:20 PM »
Harry definitely the best man to replace Capello, but the most economical choice is Capello!

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 15:31:08 PM »
But what price can you put on fun - remember Ally's army - Scottish goalkeepers - they have all the fun - there is always a comedian associated with the Scottish team - now we need some after McClaren, Sven and Fabio - I want someone to make me laugh  ;)

Ps Oh - come on Andy !!!!!!

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Harry for the Job
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 17:07:11 PM »
I would give the job to Sam Allardyce. At least his style would put some fire in their bellies. If we have not got the skillful players to win let us at least terrify the opposition. A bit like what Jack Charlton did with the Irish. No one wanted to play the Irish. As Corporal Jones used to say in Dads Army they don't like it up em.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 17:26:21 PM »
Fun - Sam - I've been to Ewood this season :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 20:56:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

Surely his record with Switzerland would lead you to believe that he might be quite useful as an international manager especially if he had had the present English squad of players to work with.

I've been pondering this further.

Why do people think that international experience is a good thing when choosing an England manager? It has nothing to do with it. How about better than previous experience - how about someone capable of WINNING the World Cup?

Now, on the 11th of July do this - look at the manager who's team won the World Cup - maybe Dunga, Maradona, who knows. Whoever it is, ask yourself one question - could England have won the World Cup if they had (whoever it is) as their manager?

Answer = NO

So a couple of years as manager of Switzerland in the 90s? Irrelevant - what chance have we with a manager that could, when we know for sure we couldn't have won it with the manager who DID!  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf