Author Topic: Harry for the Job  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Harry for the Job
« on: June 28, 2010, 21:53:57 PM »
I was going to say on another thread that I listened to Arry on a programme over the last couple of days and he was being really coy and I thought (as we do up Norf) Ay Ay - whats Arry up to - seems to be leaving 'is options open

Then I saw this tonight:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8243534.Is_Sandbanks__Harry_Redknapp_in_line_to_take_Fabio_Capello_s_England_job_/

We could do worse - a few quid in the right hands at the next world cup - nudge nudge wink wink - know what I mean :D :D

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 22:49:38 PM »
If Fabio goes, then surely there is only one man for the job and that's Roy Hodgson. I would have thought he ticks every box on every level.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 23:05:18 PM »
So did Eriksson, so did Capello.

Hodgson can't do it either.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 23:18:35 PM »
Disagree - I don't think that either Eriksson or Capello had managed a national side prior to their appointment as England manager.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 23:42:17 PM »
You can disagree all you like. Managing Finland, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates won't help him one bit!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 00:09:57 AM »
Beckham has a good shout! You never know  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 00:41:27 AM »
I can't see that anyone can come in and get more from the players than Capello. Since we're paying for him we may as well run with him - he's probably learned a lot from the last few weeks and that's a good thing.

One thing he still needs to learn is that we don't have a natural wide left player. It isn't Real Madrid, you can't just choose a good one and go and buy him. We have a very unbalanced team, and have had for a generation. What Capello needs to understand is, if you are lacking a natural wide player on either side, the one way to expose this weakness is to play 4-4-2.

Another thing he needs to do is decide who won't be at WC 2014 and say goodbye now.

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Harry for the Job
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 07:27:21 AM »
In spite of my opening comment - you have to seriously consider Harry - his approach to the game is good / entertaining - he knows his stuff and is more tactically astute than people give him credit.

I have to say I was hugely disappointed when Capello brought on Heskey at the time he did - does anyone else in the football world think that a work horse was the right option at that time when we obviously needed a little bit of speed and / or something different!!!!!

Tactically the man blew it totally for me in that one move.

They always say you can determine the real mettle in a crisis - well sorry but that showed him to have lost his head / nerve etc. :-\

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Harry for the Job
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
Tactically, bringing on Heskey is difficult to fathom in any situation but I guess the thinking was that we were being pulled apart at the back because we were losing it so cheaply at the front. I assume with Heskey being the mythical king of holding onto possession, this was the idea. I actually think it was a good idea, apart from the fact that Heskey isn't as good at it as people think. For me even Crouch does it better, and with him you get the bonus of a few other skills as well.

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Harry for the Job
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »
Does it matter that much who is manager because at the end of the day England does not have the players that could win the World Cup.The Premiership is touted as the best league in the world not because of the quality of English players but it is down to the quality of foreign players. The premiership management is happy because the rule of capping the number of foreigners has been scrapped. Look at the biggest clubs and it is foreigners that dominate them. Not only foreign players and managers but also foreign owners.

It has been said for years that English football needs to go back to grassroots. Kids in the UK are no different to kids in Brazil.So why can Brazil produce a team that is always considered a genuine serious contender.Take a second to think but could anyone name a quality side to represent England where all the players are say 25 or younger.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf