Author Topic: laptop and hand luggage  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« on: July 18, 2010, 16:26:00 PM »
Does anyone know wether I can take a laptop (weighs 3 kilo) and a small handbag as hand luggage am flying with Thomas Cook, or wether if you take a laptop you can only take the one item?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 16:30:09 PM »
Most often TC don't even ask to see hand luggage, although I have heard of occasions when they have and even weighed it. If you are worried, do what we do - take a holdall and chuck handbag & laptop into it  :)

Offline julesbob0303

laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 16:33:11 PM »
Yep, we do the same Scunner.  Only one piece of hand luggage each, but it's big enough to hold numerous things, including handbags, food etc.  :D

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 17:22:03 PM »
oh yes great idea Scunner and Julie thanks for that!

Offline pauline

laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 18:26:17 PM »
I regularly take a laptop, just bung it in my backpack along with handbag and anything else that will fit in!!  Doesn't sem to be a problem but have had to take it out at security for separate scanning.

P

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 22:33:34 PM »
Thomas Cook only allow one piece of hand luugage and it must not be over 5 kilos in weight.  They are very strict, hand luggage is weighed and if it goes over 5 kilos you will be charged £12.00 per kilos.  Had ours weighed going out and coming back. May/June  this year.  Going out my husband's bag was 5.8 kilos he was told to take out the extra and put it in my bag!!!   When we did return we were in a queue for 1 hour while people argued about over weight luggage including hand luggage, A couple in front of us had a bill of over £100 cases were over weight and hand luggage was over 8 kilos each, it was a nightmare.
Put your laptop in a large bag but make sure it's not over 5 kilos. ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 22:36:22 PM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 22:56:07 PM »
Our experience is the exact opposite Jacqui. We have never had our hand luggage weighed. It maybe because we only have one piece between two (not including the present Mrs H's hand bag which is normally a small one).

It drives me crazy when I see some people lugging huge bags on board, stuffing then in the overhead lockers and not going near them till they land at Dalaman. So I would have no problem with hand luggage being weighed.

By the way, what are the rules regarding childern's buggies.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 23:00:59 PM by Highlander »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 23:07:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

It drives me crazy when I see some people lugging huge bags on board, stuffing then in the overhead lockers and not going near them till they land at Dalaman.

The 4 huge bags we used to stuff into overhead lockers were 20kg a time of things we were bringing home. No problem since that IS the entitlement and it is the airlines, not us, who are strangling the weights you can take AND trying to push passengers away from checking in hold baggage and towards carry-on only.

When we go to Ireland we can easily do a very long weekend away on hand luggage alone, when Jet2 and the others are charging us to physically check in anything at all, I'm more than happy to take every gram of hand baggage allowance they give.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 23:08:30 PM »
We had not used T.C. for a while.  Globespan were good no problem. This was our first experience with T.C. for a long time, when we got to the Airport there where signs flashing up on the screens over the checks-in saying "One piece of hand luggage only up to 5 kilos, hand luggage must be weighed" we where amazed, and right enought each piece from all passengers was weighed.  Not so bad going out, but coming back was unbelieveable, I thought a riot would break out with the queue as there was so many people with overweight luggage. Again all hand luggage was checked.  I think it's just another way to make money by T.C.  They are up to every trick in the book.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
laptop and hand luggage
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 23:13:32 PM »
The other extreme of this is to look at Easyjet as an example - you can check into the hold nothing at all as part of your "basic" ticket, but no restrictions on hand/cabin baggage weight as long as you can lift it up into the overhead lockers. They don't want you to check anything in. They want you to print off your own boarding card and the first they see of you is at the gate. BUT, if everyone does what they want, there's no way in this World that it will all fit in the overhead lockers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf