Author Topic: thomsons flights  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Jenny1

thomsons flights
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 06:45:29 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by phil green

when xL airways went bust my brother had paid on hes visa debit card £780 and he lost all hes money!!!

How come? I thought you got your money back if you paid by ANY Visa card?

Offline sue mac

• Liverpool, UK
thomsons flights
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 17:38:00 PM »
i am currently fighting getting my money back from santander, having used my visa debit card.....they have not said they will not pay out, but they are making it damned hard!!!

Offline julesbob0303

thomsons flights
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 18:19:00 PM »
Barclaycard initially told me that they wouldn't pay out for our lost flights through kthy.  I asked for their Head Office address and planned to send a letter to them.

After a further whole evening being passed from pillar to post, I eventually managed to speak to a guy at Barclaycard who told me that there was some hope of getting the money back but not to apply for a refund until after the outbound flight should have taken place.  However, by then, we had already re-booked our flights for a slightly earlier date, so I carried on and sent in my claim (using the standard letter supplied on the Section 75 Consumer Credit Act web page).  I attached as much information as I could and it eventually turned out to be a very fat letter!  :D

We went off to Calis expecting to come back to a letter - and more forms to be completed - from Barclaycard.  Instead, there was a letter informing us that the full refund, including incidental expenses, had been paid.  I received a Barclaycard statement yesterday, and true to their word, the money had already been credited to our account.

You just have to be persistent.   :o :-\ :)

Offline phil green

thomsons flights
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 21:51:13 PM »
That was a good result.my wife has just lost her flight with kiss for october luckly they was atol protected.have been looking for a flight around the same time but they have gone up around £80. i dont know how true it is but a couple of people have told me you can also claim back the extra money you hav spent on top of the price you paid for the company that went bust. is that true?

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
thomsons flights
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 22:04:19 PM »
You can claim it Phil but I would think you have zero chance of getting it. Good luck anyway.

Offline phil green

thomsons flights
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 22:09:13 PM »
Thanks john will give it ago :-]

Offline hillside

thomsons flights
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 22:41:43 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by phil green

i dont know how true it is but a couple of people have told me you can also claim back the extra money you hav spent on top of the price you paid for the company that went bust. is that true?

I looked this up on money expert and it seemed to be that you could claim for additional ESSENTIAL associated expenses. ie having to buy a flight home. I dont think they consider rebuying a flight because you have to go on holiday essential (I know we Turkey addicts do) If you have any success with it please let me know, our August flights after the collapse of Goldtrail cost us another £350!

Offline littlereddevil

thomsons flights
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 10:07:33 AM »
When Globespan went bust mastercard gave us our money back plus the difference in price for rebooking flights

Offline Denise40

thomsons flights
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2010, 15:26:02 PM »
It seems to depend on which credit card company you use - some are paying out without too much fuss and some are not and making it difficult - however, it you go onto www.moneysavingexpert.com it seems it is the law to refund your money. So having a refund on any flight/holiday booked with a credit card over £100 your money should be refunded.

As Quoted from the page
"Thereâ€TMs a secret phrase that turns any credit card into a financial self-defence superhero. â€Å“Section 75â€Â laws means your plastic must protect anything you buy over £100 for free, so if thereâ€TMs a problem or the company goes bust you can still get your money back".  :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 15:28:18 PM by Denise40 »

Offline julesbob0303

thomsons flights
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2010, 16:04:07 PM »
We claimed back the full amount for the new flights (£250 more expensive than the kthy ones) plus the Travelodge we had booked for the evening prior to our early morning flight (which was non-refundable).  This included evening meals for three of us, plus breakfast in the morning.

The only thing I didn't get back was the meals on the new flights, which I only booked the day before flying, and so hadn't put them in my initial claim!  (I could have actually claimed this back as well, as meals were originally included in the kthy flights.)

I was also a bit sneaky, and managed to move my Travelodge booking to a later date, for a £5 fee which I didn't tell Barclaycard about!  We can now have a night there with all meals included for a fiver!   :)

The only other thing we lost was four days at the end of our holiday, as the new flights were a few days earlier.

All incidental additional expenses should be claimed for, as long as you have the receipts, or emails to prove that they had been booked, and were subsequently lost along with your flights.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf