Author Topic: All of Turkey is now in Asia  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
All of Turkey is now in Asia
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »
My husband bought me an Iphone so I could keep up with my emails when in Turkey.  I did some net surfing whilst in Calis and was flagged up with a message that I was going to incur charges.  I stopped immediately.  
My husband just rang Vodafone to check the bill which was high. He was told this was correct as the phone was used in Asia, and it's much more expensive to use my phone in Asia.  My husband said we had been in Calis, Turkey which is in Europe.  He was then informed that as far as Vodafone are concerned they class all of Turkey as Asia!!!
It seems Vodafone make up there own Geographic destinations rules to suit themselves. [:(!]

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
Yet for travel insurance, Turkey is listed under European. Don't forget if you turn off roaming you can still check your emails on iPhone using the free wireless offered by many bars etc there.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:51 AM »
Turkey is geographically, politically and officially part of two continents - Europe and Asia. The smaller northwestern portion (Thrace) is part of Europe, while the larger portion (Anatolia) is part of Asia.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/tr.htm

I had the same problem with o2. They class Turkey as being in Eastern Europe for charging purposes so costs are much higher.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:41:01 AM by stoop »

Offline Jim Fraser

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
It would be good to know if any UK mobile provider does do cheaper roaming in Turkey.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »
O2 have started a new system that restricts roaming charges to a maximum of £40 in any one month. You also get a warning when you reach £10 (I think). £40 isn't cheap obviously but is when you compare it to some of the incredible bills people have racked up. Also in some places it isn't always easy to find free wireless and paid for ones are not always cheap - especially if you are needing to connect a few times a day over a week or a fortnight.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Yet for travel insurance, Turkey is listed under European. Don't forget if you turn off roaming you can still check your emails on iPhone using the free wireless offered by many bars etc there.

Vodafone charge £1.00 per mb in Europe and £3 per mb in Asia.  The phone was really handy for me to contact customers, but I feel we have been ripped off for the charges.
Thanks for the information Keith, will remember that next time we go abroad.  ;) :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:37:33 AM »
I'm able to switch off the connection on my phone but still use the wireless and sat nav - so that's what I'll be doing in future when I go abroad. I'm not risking losing all my credit like the last two times I've been away and seemingly accidentally connected to the internet through my 3gs connection. I might even take the sim card out just to be sure  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
On iphone you switch off roaming in settings -> general -> network (switch off roaming and also change 'Enable 3G' to No) and also in settings main page/list switch off any notifications you may have, and particularly switch 'Location services' to No.

Ideally have it unlocked and buy a Turkish sim card if possible for use throughout your visit.

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
DO the Turkish phone Company's not still block un registered phones used with Turkish sim cards?

Offline loz

• Prolific Member
  • Black Bin BAG
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 13:14:45 PM »
Yes, we were there for 3 months, it was not until the day we were leaving that it suddenly dawned  I HAVE a Turkish mobile with a UK sim, so I could have easily have put in our Turkish Sim. DOH!!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf