Author Topic: to move or not to move?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline busybee

to move or not to move?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:25:39 AM »
Have to agree with all the above, just a suggestion why dont you rent your house in UK and rent over here for a while.  This would top up your husbands income and give you a fair chance to see if "life in Turkey" is for you both.  Renting here is very inexpensive and if you find its not for you then you would have your home to go back to.

Offline mrkeith

to move or not to move?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 06:56:24 AM »
I would definitely recommend renting for a year to give yourselves chance to have a look around at different areas of Calis and Fethiye. Rents are not expensive here and it would be a few grand well spent that your money would accrue here over then year anyway

Offline posleeds

to move or not to move?
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »
 :)Go for it Girl :)
I agree with some of the other suggestions-try renting your house out in the UK - then at least you will keep a foot on the property ladder if things don't work out here.
There are plenty of Turkish families (and English I'm sure) living quite happily on considerably less than you are proposing - so you should still have a good standard of living.
As Scunner says - it certainly does make life a lot easier having a Turkish significant other half - they know the ropes, the language & what is expected!
Don't look back in years to come thinking "What if....."
Life is short...make the most of it!
Good luck with your decision
PS-meet you for coffee if you do move over  :)

Offline Fastlady

to move or not to move?
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »
I saw your post on the other forum and, like you, was disappointed with the replies.
I would definitely say 'go for it' otherwise you'll always wonder 'what if'.
I know the financial side of life is very important but you must also consider the quality of life for yourself, your husband and any future little ones...
I wouldnt want to bring up a child in the UK today.  I lived in what was classed as a high-class, gentile town on the south coast but even there the scumbags infiltrated and life was very stressful.
My children are grown up now so I am in a different position to you but I have lived in Turkey for over 3 years and still feel very privelidged to be here - even the days when it rains and the leccy is switched off :D
As the other poster said, even when you have a child, you won't need to make a decision to return to the UK for it's education for 5 years or more....plenty of time to enjoy the delights and freedoms that Turkey has to offer.
Good Luck whatever you decide

Offline booo

to move or not to move?
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:06:20 AM »
I agree with the posts about trying to just rent out your house in the UK,
If your mum already lives here then it will be so much easier for you, the hardest part is missing family.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:07:58 AM by booo »

Offline scouser2

to move or not to move?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:10:21 AM »
I would definately do it.I agree about renting at first. When my wife and I discussed moving to Turkey, I really did have some doubts, But I have to say it's the best thing we have done.I am so much more relaxed, and I don't stress over things that would have sent my blood-pressure through the roof in the U.K.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:17:24 AM by scouser2 »

Offline Julesp

to move or not to move?
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 09:41:43 AM »
I moved here 5 years ago after my husband died, I was so depressed in the UK and whilst here on holiday on my own weeks after the funeral I impulsively bought an apartment and 3 weeks later moved to here. Ive never regretted a thing. Ive now met a lovely Turkish man we have been together for over 2 years and he definately makes life easier for me here, so you having a turkish husband should have no major problems.
When I first moved here I was quite isolated but still enjoyed living here more than in the UK, after I met my boyfriend he encouraged me to find something to do with my time, so now Im involved with FiG and have a new circle of friends and interests,
Go for it, Its wonderful here, but I would do as suggested first rent out your home in the Uk and take your time looking for your ideal home here

Offline cicek girl

to move or not to move?
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »
Why not go fot it. this life is not a practice. this is it. Turkey is a wondeful place and very family orientated. But the flights do go both ways if you want to pop back now and then

Offline kizkucuk

to move or not to move?
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 15:54:38 PM »
Nice idea to rent your house in the UK - you can definitely live on your husands income - and if you are coming this way house hunting or moving drop me message I'd be happy to meet up for a cuppa and a chat - not an expert by any means but have been there and done it  :-)

Offline PKHUGHES100

to move or not to move?
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »
Reading this thread makes me feel like moving in the morning instead of 2 years time but alas!

Really impressed by Julesp bold move and so great to hear it turned out so well.

Here is to my move in a couple of years!

Kevin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf