Author Topic: to move or not to move?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline mrs caglar

to move or not to move?
« on: October 14, 2010, 20:35:36 PM »
to move or not to move

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys
im in such a tizzy
me and my husband(turkish) live in the uk, he has a good job here but of course his hearts in turkey
our house if for sale here and we cant decide either to downsize here mortgage free or buy in calis/fethiye mortgage free with about 30'000 in bank

my heart says turkey, my head says england
england has the free health care good education
but relly high bills ( £700 a month for us thats without food)
i dont work and we want to start a family, question is here or there???

help
please can you let me know how you enjoy living in calis, dowsides , do you regret moving there or should i just bite the bullet and move to turkey

Offline PKHUGHES100

to move or not to move?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 20:40:00 PM »
Bite the bullet, you can always come back to the UK, we are just waitng for the children to start uni in 2 yrs and that is it, I am selling up and moving to the place I love .. Turkey.

Kevin

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
to move or not to move?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 21:03:51 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by mrs caglar

please can you let me know how you enjoy living in calis, dowsides , do you regret moving there or should i just bite the bullet and move to turkey

I would say bite the bullet and go. We lived there for 5 years and returned to the UK for a wide variety of reasons a couple of years ago. For me it was a great decision to move there and experience another way of life. I see it now as one of the most important decisions we ever made. As has already been said, if you miss the UK it isn't a life sentence, you can always move back.

I've known hundreds of people make the choice to move there and I firmly believe it is right for some and not for others. Having said that, I haven't met many people who regret trying it  :)

Having a Turkish husband won't half make a difference. Most of the problems people have is not knowing what the hell is going on  ;)

Offline mrs caglar

to move or not to move?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 22:18:16 PM »
thanks scunner
nice to here positives
my husband would have a job there, well in the summer anyway and will get 2000 lira a month for 6-7 months, but with not much heating costa and the interest (small i know) on the £30,000 - £50,000 should help us with the rest of the year.
if we had children we'd send them to private school
my mother and step father live in hisaronu permenantly so will have someone there
i am not planning on working,raising children will be my aim.
i hace been looking at properties and its surprising what you can get for little money
i know calish had a large english community so im hoping it would be easy to make friends
its just the ' what if' s  thats holding me back at the moment

Offline cheers

to move or not to move?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 22:38:55 PM »
Do it Mrs 'C'!  If you don't you may regret it all your life! 8)
What better place to bring kids up away from the confines of the UK!
Even if it doesn't work out (I'm sure it will) at least you have tried it and decided for yourself! 8)

Offline kizkucuk

to move or not to move?
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 23:08:23 PM »
Hi - I did it 12 months ago - no regrets.   On 2000tl a month for 6 months you will be able to save a lump for the winter anyway plus your interest you will be comfortably off.  Your husband will be happier - you will be happy and it is a great place for children they are made so much more welcome than they are in the UK.  There is a new mother and baby group just started in Calis this week and they would welcome you pregnant - so you'd have support and advice about medical care as well as a useful supply of second hand baby stuff.  People are very friendly - you don't say whether you speak Turkish but if not my advice would be to learn a bit - it just makes life that little bit easier.  If the absolute worst comes to the worst and you hate it - you can always go back - even if you were already expecting you've got until your baby is due to start school in the UK to make your final decision - 5 years - no work, nicer weather, cleaner air, better food - you could always rent here initially until you see whether you are 100% sure or not.  That way you would have the option of taking your money and returning to the UK but you will have earned some interest on it whilst you've been here.  I sold off my UK furniture and used the money I raised to buy new stuff here - I shipped the things that were really precious to me like family photos, my cat etc........ but had great fun furnishing my apartment - is it better to regret the things you've done than to regret the things you haven't done.  Your husband has tried the UK maybe it's time for you to try Turkey.  :-)

Offline mrs caglar

to move or not to move?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 23:30:59 PM »
thanks kizkucuk
its really reasuring to here a good story, we've been thinking of it for years and the though of moving to turkey wont go away, to be honest the more i hear good stories the more i sway to turkey. its just here in england alot more people seem rude and unfriendly compaired to turkey,when yusuf first moved here he was asked tp play a game of football with some teenagers, when he got home police wanted to cart him off as a perent had wanted to know what he wanted with their kids, a little over the top,the racism here is stupid. i can see in turkey he will be happy there ( he is here too ) and i feel a slow life there for me would be ideal, i have only just given my job up here due to stress and anxiety and depression and the though of going back to work does not appeal to me, we've been together 7 years so feel its time to start a family.
its just taking that final step
until my house sells here we cant do anything but plan
i too would have to ship things out i cant let go off.
thanks for your imput
i did post a similer thread on another site but have only recieved negatives so this is a nice change and the people on here seem so friendly
thanks agagin x

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
to move or not to move?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 23:47:33 PM »
There is a lot of negativity about on some forums where people who didn't research or prepare for a life in a different culture and country are allowed to continually slate the whole idea. I think we are a lot more balanced here. I found it to be a fabulous place for our kids to have their 3rd to 8th year of life - so much love and freedom for kids of that sort of age. I found a lot of things to be a complete pain - the red tape and paperwork and illogical systems nearly sent me round the bend. Queueing for hours for things etc., paying through the nose for a stupid tin of baked beans :D but ultimately, it taught me more in 5 years than any other 5 years has and I am a different person in many ways for it. It also made a huge contribution towards making my kids what they are today, which is two compassionate, caring and occasionally very sweet young ladies.

Nobody with stress, depression and anxiety concerns that has a chance to try another way should be worried about giving it a go  :)

Offline mrs caglar

to move or not to move?
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 00:05:06 AM »
thanks scunner, im gonna give up on the other forum, hoestly i feel they are talking down their noses to me and trying to insinuta im stupid. i know it wont be easy but life here is not easy either. my husband will get 14000lira a year and say we have the backup of interest of savings also, i will learn turkish and i will gain my kilmik card shortly.
thanks so muck for your comments
i have been looking at your web site at houses , well i did this a few days ago. if and when my house sells i'll be coming over for viewings please x

Offline mrkeith

to move or not to move?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:21:21 AM »
You have just got to do what you want to do, whether its Calis or another part of Fethiye. As long as your old man can find work all will be well and if he makes 2k a month then you should live on that fine.
Don't expect to make too much out of your savings those days are well gone but they will still get you around 10%.
I have been here for around 6 years now and if you mind your own and treat it as life and not one big holiday you will soon realise that it's much better for you than struggling in the UK.
You have to give it a go.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf