Author Topic: EasyJet - pay as you go aircraft bags  (Read 2455 times)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
EasyJet - pay as you go aircraft bags
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 20:27:18 PM »
NO evidence as such but the first post I think refers to an article in today's Mirror and I am referring to an article in The Sun.

I guess one could be right or both could be wrong  :)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/money/3363879/British-Gas-and-Sainsburys-join-forces.html

Thing is if passengers are not putting luggage in the hold then they are not getting any revenue. Might be better to charge them a nominal amount and at least get some money out of them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 20:29:19 PM by stoop »

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 22:28:23 PM »
Rumour/panic mill.................................. there is no smoke without fire!!!!

work it out for yourself prices are already rising for hold baggage you go and try and book a flight to anywhere that easyjet fly to, and you will see price a difference per destination for hold baggage the same will apply for speedy borders book in london to Dalaman and they will charge you £9.40 one way, book in dalaman for the return trip and it will cost a mere £4.50 at the desk in dalaman airport use another destination ie Izmir and they will charge £18.50 one way so don't me I've got it wrong, I worked in the airline business for a very long time, be that it was many years ago, and it was the same then, screw the passenger for what ever you can get, yes it's rip of Briton it happened then, and it will continue to happen now all the time we as customers put up with it, my post was to say look out this will happen to you, and no I did not see it in the mirror or sun newspaper I got from the industry.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 00:04:45 AM »
gunna - if they are charging for hold luggage and everyone uses hand luggage then they are losing out and flying planes with empty holds that could be filled with the luggage that everyone tries to fit in the overhead lockers. If they reduce the price of putting luggage in the hold then more people might do so and thus they would earn more money and waste less time trying to get all that hand luggage in the overhead lockers.

Makes sense but when did that ever apply to the airline industry?

Here's the Mirror story that seems to be exactly what you are saying will happen but quite opposite to what The Sun reports

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/city-news/2011/01/21/easyjet-poised-to-launch-price-per-mile-baggage-fees-115875-22864202/

Offline peecee

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:06:32 AM »
But, on the other hand, if the aircraft has 200 suitcases at 20kg that's an extra 4000kg in weight.  That's going to add considerably to the cost of fuel required to get to ?? (and sometimes back if the destination airport charges an arm and a leg which, I suspect, they do in Turkey)

And I wouldn't be surprised if there's the extra cost of baggage handlers at a/p's.

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 11:29:11 AM »
Stoop, you may be right with your comments, but all airlines work on the basis of 50 kgs of weight per passenger including baggage as they need to work on these figures to know how much fuel is needed to fly to its destination,and also book the fuel tanker long before you have checked-in for the flight, as an example a boeing 707 would need 20 tonne of fuel without passengers or baggage and or cargo just to get off the ground, most short haul aircraft have enough fuel on board to get back to its base without refueling at its destination point, as some airports will charge them an arm and a leg to refuel, and back home they buy fuel on the spot market many months ahead of today's prices, also aircraft fuel is not the same as you have in your car......its kerosene and the price per liter is much less than car fuel.

The reason why airlines do not want you take hold baggage is two fold A/ it takes to much time loading and unloading and it effects the turn around time,also they then have to pay ground handling charges as all the time the aircraft is on the ground its not making money, and B/ the less weight means less fuel, but at the same time they have charged the passenger the full rate as if he/she has a weight of 50 kgs, all the extras ie: speedy boarding, excess weight, sports equipment, food and drinks, is where they make their money, as the crew earn a bonus on the extras including overweight baggage, also some airlines will charge on board food and drink prices in euro then give you a very poor exchange rate when you pay in sterling.

Air miles are inflationary proof 300 air miles from london to paris will always be 300 miles but should they do what is being suggested it will be a very good money earner as 1 pence per kilo per mile today will result in being 5 pence tomorrow and then more when they want to earn more revenue, us the unsuspecting consumer will just put up with it, and will you know that's its gone up 2 p or 3p per kilo per mile, it happens already all the time in any supermarket in the uk, do you complain no, do you carry on buying the product yes!!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
Well people are not going to go away for two weeks on hand luggage are they? If the likes of easyjet continue to charge such high prices for hold luggage yet allow people to get on their planes with masses (we've all seen them) of hand luggage for free then they are still carrying extra weight but not charging for it.

Would it not be better to charge a reasonable amount for hold luggage and at least get something towards the cost of fuel and baggage handling fees?

I'm not sure what the answer is other than what the public appear to be doing - stop flying with them or carry the exact limit of free baggage so that they don't get a penny out of you. Easyjet appear to be struggling and Mr O'leary appears to be pretty quiet at the moment as well.

Strange how tow red tops report almost exactly the opposite on the same day  :)

Offline gunna

• Aldershot, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 13:31:29 PM »
I don't know what the answer is either , as the agencies who regulate the airline industry ie: CAA, ABTA, ATOL are 'tigers without teeth' as they are funded by the airlines, CARTEL comes to mind, so unless the general public vote with their feet it will always be the same, and why should someone boycott the airlines and not go on holiday when they could be the only one doing the boycott the airlines know this and will continue there onslaught on there customers and rip them off.

You could go away with hand baggage for two weeks if you have your own holiday home at the resort, or your smalls are small, in the case of myself then I always take the full hold baggage allowance as my smalls are not that small 'extra large' is always printed on the label.

With regard to hand baggage easyjet do NOT have weight restrictions as long as you can fit it in the sizing cage at the desk or gate and can also get it in the cabin locker then the airline will accept the bag and yes like you I have seen bags and bags being taken on board the aircraft but I have to say easyjet have got wise to this and will ask you to take one bag on board and insist that all bags are put into one case including the ladies handbag this also applies to duty free goods.

All airlines are finding it a pinch at this time of the year but easyjet will see its revenue rise later in the year so whilst they are reporting a downturn today they will end up being in profit and the year end, with regard to RyanAir keeping quite he will at the moment due to his court appeal regarding the charging of boarding passes the court action at the moment applies only to spain but it could be open it up to the whole of the EU RyanAir policy is that you have to print you own boarding pass and take to the airport if they have print it of for you at the airport if you have forgotten to do it then they will charge you £40 per pass in the UK outside the UK its only £28 why because he knows he can get away with these fees here in the UK ie: rip of Britain, if the appeal is overturned he intends to cancel your flight and give you your money back but you will have to purchase a new ticket on the day at today's prices it could prove to be a very costly error.

Anyway thanks for the debate its always nice to see other peoples views.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf