Author Topic: Paying by card. Beware  (Read 2282 times)

Offline simpsons

Paying by card. Beware
« on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
I know this is "Teaching your Grandma to suck eggs", but me and the Minister of War, have just been to Sok to get some shopping, and the bill came to 28 ytl. I paid on my card, and when I went to enter my PIN number, I noticed the assistant had put in 280 ytl as the amount. I pointed out the error, and she apologised, and amended it. I am not blaming her as this may have been a genuine mistake, but I wonder what would have happened if I hadnt spotted it, and left the store. So just a word of warning, to always check the amount when paying by card, as a mistake could be costly.

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 13:18:19 PM »
My ex did a similar thing, £1000 instead of £100, we had a devil of a job to get our money back from the retailer, good advice, thanks.

Offline cheers

Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 13:19:19 PM »
It might have been a mistake but the scam is they give your 252TL to the person standing behind you in the queue with their change!  There was a police warning in the UK about it earlier this year

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 14:48:04 PM »
Maybe she had fat fingers and hit the 0 by mistake.

Fact is it's much easier to under charge than over charge with those machines - I know I use one at work every day. To charge someone more you need to hit extra buttons but to charge them less you hit less buttons. So it's much easier to charge someone 28 rather than 280 as you can think you have hit the last 0 and not realise you didn't press it hard enough/missed it.

My money is on a scam.

Offline kevman

Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:30:50 AM »
We paid by card 132 lira to Migros last year.3 weeks later we realised our bank balance was not right so went off to the bank to investigate.Migros had taken the payment twice.When we asked how this could have happened,we were told, oh' mistakes can happen.
Ok, so Migros took 2 lots of money on the day we bought our shopping....why did it take them 3 months to put it back????????

Offline AndyLin

Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:11:44 AM »
I was under charged by Opet petrol, got 120 Tl worth paid for 20 Tl. Was on way to Belek for a week of golf when bank phoned, mistake realised, sorted out when I got back and the girl behind the till at opet apologized to me for any trouble that this had caused. Hadn't realised as I hadn't had my glasses on.

Offline Libra

Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
...and allways check your receipt item by item. Everthing might look automated and computerised in a supermarket , but imagine the human work behind all this - and humans can make mistakes.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
Happens in the UK too - I remember Legless on Facebook getting charged 45 grand for cod & chips!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Paying by card. Beware
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Happens in the UK too - I remember Legless on Facebook getting charged 45 grand for cod & chips!

I didn't know you could get cod and chips on facebook ;)

A bit pricey though:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf