Author Topic: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in 2011  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in 2011
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
The Good:

Meeting People:
As always, the highlight of our 2011 visit was the fabulous people. First and foremost of course my traveling companions, Mrs H and Martha for putting up with me.

And then, and in absolutely no specific order, CBF members - Lazaras (who we were fortunate to meet on a water taxi), Nichola (and Dogun of course), Lynn (rindaloo) and Dave, Alan (number2), kayakebab (and her lovely sister), Lesley, Colin, Firo and Eric and Caz.

Then there were our local friends including shoeshine (Adem - who we met as what seemed like a young lad and who is now the proud father of twins, Nevra, Hulya and Ibo at Maya (we also had the pleasure of meeting Nevra's business partner and partner, jerry (as in boat), Mustafa and Murat at Scarlett, Joseph, Billy (at Bostans), Tansu (at Bus Stop) and Zeki and Sabri (at Infinity Jewellry) and many others.

Flying from Aberdeen:
Shorter journey to and from airport, much more relaxed, no green and white shell suits or daughters called Charlene or Britney. Also sat beside nice people, what a difference that makes.

Apartment:
After our transfer driver eventually found it, whilst very small (but we hadn't brought a cat), was very well situated for us and we virtually had the pool to ourselves.

Art Class:
Nichola persuade me (she is a very difficult lady to say no to) to attend this event at Mozaik Bache. Although my "wind surfer" was no where near as good as flowers Nichola allowed me to paint over, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Backgammon:
Although I generally got slaughtered by Nevra (couldn't fully concentrate for obvious reasons) and others I really enjoyed the odd game. I cannot believe how quickly the locals play.

Boat Trip:
Arranged to go out with Jerry and as it turned out there were only 4 passengers so we virtually had the boat to our self.

Maya Café & Bar:
I think I may have said this before, and I am massively biased, but Brenda and I are so very pleased for our dear friend Nevra seems to be making such a success of her venture in what I understand is very much male dominated environment.

Burlesque Show in Scarlett:
Still haven't fully recovered. These guys always seem to be trying something different every year.

Lunchtime Date:
My thanks to Alan (number2) for giving us the opportunity of meeting Lynn and Dave at Café Soul.

Travel:
Constantly impressed with the frequency, value for money and helpfulness of people on the dolmus. For example, our return trip to Gocek on the dolmus was 21tl (or approximately £ 8.00)

Oludeniz:
The improvements to the front along the beach are very impressive.

My dearest friend:
All that having been said and without any doubt, the greatest pleasure of our holiday was being able to call in to see my dearest friends Scott and Fiona in Aberdeen. We have known each other since our very early teens and it was really great to see Fiona looking so well after having suffered a heart attack some five weeks ago. I love her dearly and wish her a continued and full recovery.

The Bad:

Missing people:
We were so sorry to have missed Gav, Chrissie (and Pete), Tinkerman (and Pauline) and heatherhanum (and Nigel). If you are a CBF member and we didn't come across each other, than maybe next time.

Tourist Numbers:
Everywhere we went was extremely quiet with very few tourists going about. Gocek was a case in point. Let's hope business picks up during the season.

Sizes:
Abruptly finding out that, amongst other things, flight seats and sunbeds have suddenly shrunk in width.

Boat Trip:
Despite the "good" of the small numbers we didn't venture out very far. I understand the economics regarding the distances in relation to the numbers on the boat, but it's not the first that it has happened. And I didn't actually receive my promised "exclusive" Jerry Boat t-shirt. Still, a good day out - thanks Jerry and Dalya and "the young fella".

Gocek:
Despite having a lovely day out, didn't see anyone famous. I don't know the full story, but apparently there are only a few boats which can do boat trips to Gocek. But it's easy to go by dolmus and is well worth a visit.

Turkish Tourists:
Mrs H did commented on how many Turkish tourists were in Calis when we were there. I was told by a local businessman that Turkish Tourists are charged more than others which is clearly a contradiction with the practice that expats are charged more than Turkish people for services etc.

Children:
A pet hate of mine I'm afraid, but I just don't like to see young kids in buggies being wheeled around the resort at all hours.

Invitations:
Despite passing both establishments on numerous occasions, not once being handed a leaflet for either B52 or MCM ;).

1985:
Coming to the realization that the only things that were going to swell to twice their normal size during the two weeks were my ankles ;). Note to self - make doctor's appointment.

The Ugly:

Parents with teenage girls:

I would hope that I cannot be accused of being prudish, but I was shocked and appalled to see how provocatively dressed young teenage girls were allowed to walk around the resorts with their parents. Surely they are at a vulnerable and impressionable age and need guidance and "protection".

Rubbish:
It seems to me that this is getting worse. The rubbish lying beside wheelie bins is an "ABSOLUTE" disgrace. Only in Turkey would the local Council spray the inside of wheelie bins and leave rotting food stuffs and loads of other rubbish laying immediately adjacent to the bins.
We also noticed far more litter and debris on the islands we visited on a boat trip and indeed floating on the water.

Dangerous:
Watching a toddler (without arm bands) being left on the pool steps while granny went for a cigarette and seeing her slip under the water. Fortunately, granny hadn't wandered of too far and was able to pull her back up in time but very frightening.

Loungers:
People who will insist on laying across three seats at Gates at the airport. There are barely enough seats for everyone to get one anyway and this practice is about as inconsiderate as it gets.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:32:34 AM »
Sorry we missed you H, next time ;)

Offline one world

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:08 PM »
It was delightful as slways to spend time with you, Brenda and Martha. Thank you for sharing your time and good on you for coming to the art class - not as easy as it looks  ;) we enjoyed having you  8)

Nichola & Dogan (Dogan is now signing off  ;))
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:32:47 PM by one world »

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

Us too H

Excellent  post- holiday account

Regarding the rubbish,it is a pet hate of ours and I can't get

my head round why people cannot dispose of their unwanted trash the correct way,last year whilst cycling away from the built up areas the rubbish dumped in the hedgerows and roadsides amazed me.

Geoff

Offline booo

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 14:28:20 PM »
Agree with most of your points but the bit about pushchairs being pushed around at night I must say I cant see any harm if your little one is fast asleep in a comfy pushchair. But I HATE HATE HATE seeing people drinking when they have children with them!

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 15:08:17 PM »
H after  'knowing' you for so long.  It was a real treat to meet you and Brenda.  The icing on the cake was some Scottish smuggled goods  ;)  And, amazingly, there's still some left :D  Very much appreciated, though now I am blaming you for my weight problem....

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 15:18:13 PM »
Was lovely to meet you, couldn't really chat much as I haven't learnt to paint properly, let alone paint & talk.
Shame I missed you the following week but have had a poorly arm, so no painting for me.

Are you back again this year?

Offline marina

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 15:26:07 PM »
Some very good points made there, and one I am in full agreement is the 'loungers'.  It infuriates me when I see selfish people taking up three or even four seats for themselves and their bags and don't even seem to notice others standing.  I refuse to stand when I see people doing this and always ask them to move so that I can sit down.  [:(!]

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 15:33:39 PM »
Really really sorry to have missed you H -  yet again!  It seems like we are destined never to meet!  :D    Firstly we missed you by a couple of hours at Maya and the next time it was because my mobile was out of charge and I did not pick your text up until the next day - so very sorry  :-\    Hopefully next time?

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 15:50:12 PM »
Have to agree about the rubbish, I wish that Turkish people would not throw it everywhere around the bins.

Glad you like Aberdeen Airport, bet you missed all the clapping when you landed?

Re the buggy dislike.  My Daughter, Son-in-law and Granddaughter were over with us this time. They were very firm with the rule that my Granddaughter should keep to her normal bed time which is usually around 7.30pm. So they either had a long late lunch, then a meal or take away at our place or an early dinner out in the evening. They did not want to take the baby out at night and push her around in a buggy and get her out of her bedtime routine. They also don't like the idea of keeping a baby up really late so the parents can go out to bars and restaurants. So have to agree there too. However, if a baby is used to being kept up late and pushed around the streets I suppose it's O.K.
However,  last year I remember a  large family at the next table to us in the Chinese Breeze coming in at 10.30pm with a baby and two young children.  They ordered drinks and meals.  The children where obviously very tired and really did not want the food, the baby cried and the parents started to shout at the children for running around.  I love children but I don't think they should be in restaurants so late at night when they should be tucked up in bed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf