Author Topic: Authentic Turkish Food  (Read 10756 times)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2011, 10:35:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by janmack

When did good food become this complicated??  
Good food is just what it is, whether in restaurants, pubs, at home/friends  etc.  
I personally like Indian and Italian and that is what we generally eat out here.  
The only times we eat out are when we fancy Turkish food then we tend to go to places not in Calis.
Folk should just eat what they want and if steak is the most recommended dish...well done to that restaurant :)

It's interesting to hear what you personally like and you think people should eat what they like, however, if you go to the beginning of the thread you will see this message.

--------------------
"Can you recommend somewhere to eat in Calis or Fethiye where they serve TURKISH food, not Chinese, Indian, Italian etc! We stayed in Olu a few years ago & apart from the fish the food was really disappointing - a European mishmash."
------------------------------
So, basically, we are being asked to recommend a restaurant that , serves Turkish Food. So as a resident where do you recommend[?]
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 10:52:06 AM by Jacqui Harvey »

Offline johntaylor49

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

Yes, my local Indian isn't cooking traditional Perth authentic curries either. They say the recipes are from India.

Tell you what folks, nearly all Indian food served in UK Restauarants is not authentic and most of it is crap! Very few real ones outside of Rusholme in Manchester, the famous "curry mile", or Southall near London. You get the odd one, such as a place I know in Glasgow, but most are a mish mash serving anglicised stuff and non-indian at all such as Tikka massala -- nobody in India will ever have heard of it! They are mainly Bangladeshi run and hash slinging rubbish! (I can say that cos my wife is Indian and I know what proper Indian food should tatse like and how it is cooked!)

I guess Turkish food is much the same, if it is cooked right to genuine recipes then it deserves the title, no matter where that may be. If we want to be that pedantic then what is Turkish food? It is derived from the ancient Kingdoms of the Middle Sea and Persian Empire, the taste of all those Counties is in it, from the Persian Rice through Levantine and Arabian breads to the Honey flavoured sweets of the meditterannean and North Africa.

For me, the absolute delight of Turkish Food is just that, it encomp-asses so many of the places I have lived in and loved, it is the Middle Sea on a plate, from Spain round in a Circle to Morroco and reaching out inland as far as Turkmenistan and beyond. Hundreds of years of fklavour and experimentation!

Yes, a foodie, I confess all --

Offline johntaylor49

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2011, 11:07:13 AM »
Just bugger all to do on  a wet Saturday morning in Manchester so fancied a waffle on here :D (waffle -- ha ha --food --oh never mind)

Really enjoyed this subject now I know precisely where Mosaic Bahche is and I am going to go there!

Thanks

JT

Offline janmack

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

quote:

Good food is just what it is, whether in restaurants, pubs, at home/friends  etc.  
I personally like Indian and Italian and that is what we generally eat out here.  
The only times we eat out are when we fancy Turkish food then we tend to go to places not in Calis.
Folk should just eat what they want and if steak is the most recommended dish...well done to that restaurant :)

It's interesting to hear what you personally like and you think people should eat what they like, however, if you go to the beginning of the thread you will see this message.

--------------------
"Can you recommend somewhere to eat in Calis or Fethiye where they serve TURKISH food, not Chinese, Indian, Italian etc! We stayed in Olu a few years ago & apart from the fish the food was really disappointing - a European mishmash."
So, basically, we are being asked to recommend a restaurant that , serves Turkish Food. So as a resident where do you recommend[?]

Jacqui I don't think I'm the only person who has gone off on a tangent with this thread but hey ho.  
To answer your question - as a resident I like eating at home ;)  When we go to restaurants, we tend to go to Pasa Kebab, Seckins, Kebab Hospital, Birlik and various little lokantasi's dotted around Fethiye/Gunlukbasi.

Offline johntaylor49

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2011, 11:22:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ovacik2

Why argue? Cook your own traditional/authentic Turkish food. http://english.turkishcookbook.com/

very good indeed am buying for my Wife as a surprise present to go with the other 387 Cookbooks we have! Everythuing you can imagine,even dishes like Moose and one of my favourites --- Elephant Stew!

JT

Offline johntaylor49

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
I have been to Pasa Kebab and will be back again, and again, and again!

No more now, enough from me, stopped raining, going out to deadhead my Dahlias!

JT

Offline june

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2011, 16:59:47 PM »
John, if you like  pasha  kebab you will love mosaic....I loved pasha when we went, we found mosaic after....and I loved that a lot......definately authentic......oops....ha ha  ;):Dxx

Offline Julesp

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2011, 21:59:05 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Jacqui Harvey

quote:

--------------------

Anywhere that does sis kebabs, Guvec,mezes etc. its all Turkish
You will find that places like Pasa Kebab will not be able to serve you anything on the menu which includes Doner meat after it has finished They will only put one Kebab on for the day and once its gone its gone
Contrally to opinion Turk food has to be fresh and not prepared ready to heat up on demand

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2011, 23:11:43 PM »
John, out of interest, which Indian restaurant is near authentic in Glasgow?
I've been in loads of them and the best I've ever had is in http://The Dhabba  Mouth watering stuff:D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 23:12:25 PM by Anne »

Offline slartibartfast

Authentic Turkish Food
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2011, 23:14:38 PM »
OK I'll try asking again ..... where is Mosaic / Mozaic ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf