Author Topic: The Duck Pond  (Read 4414 times)

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
The Duck Pond
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
This morning Simon,Baz,Andy Munroe and myself went to the duckpond in Fethiye with two car loads of rocks and a further load of shingle,
we built up the corner as much as possible and covered in shingle, they now have a small beach 8) 8) 8) 8)

We stayed there for about an hour afterwards and they never went near it, despite putting out loads of bread :)

if anyone is walking around the area and sees the ducks on the beach, please take a pic for us ;)

The pigeons quite liked it:D

This is how it was...

This is it under construction...

The finished look....

:) ;)

Offline Linda

The Duck Pond
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Looks really good, what a fantastic idea! I'm sure the ducks won't take long to appreciate there new oasis! I'll go armed with my camera and will have a look when I'm next down in Fethiye  8)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 11:39:46 AM by Linda »

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
The Duck Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 10:04:28 AM »
Well done chaps, they'll soon be on there, stretched out on sunbeds.....

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The Duck Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
Thanks to all concerned.
Glad to see some improvement, it will take them a while to start to use this new facility as they will not know what it is and be cautious of using it. However, they will come around to it eventually.  Incidentally, bread is very bad for ducks.  If you want to see what food is better for them apart from Duck pellets read this:  http://birding.about.com/od/birdfeeders/a/feedingducksbread.htm

Offline scorcher

The Duck Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
They are not too keen on oranges either...

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
The Duck Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »
I was having a wee alternative thought about this earlier today. I wonder how the restaurant owner really fels about this. If immigrants from another country came to a British restaurant owner here and said a few of their people didn't like what was going on and could they make changes, I think they'd be sent away with their marching orders!!!! When in Rome etc springs to mind.
 8)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
The Duck Pond
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Toky

I was having a wee alternative thought about this earlier today. I wonder how the restaurant owner really fels about this. If immigrants from another country came to a British restaurant owner here and said a few of their people didn't like what was going on and could they make changes, I think they'd be sent away with their marching orders!!!! When in Rome etc springs to mind.
 8)

Yes but surely if your restaurant relies on foreign customers it's in your interest to be sympathetic to their concerns. If not you could suddenly find nobody want to come and eat.

Great job by the way. Well done to all concerned. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:35:09 PM by stoop »

Offline terrie

The Duck Pond
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:56:19 PM »
We didn't upset the restaurant in any way,and they welcomed us to get involved,very amicable people,once they knew who we were and we were not there to cause trouble'
When we met the manager of the resturant we approached the problem in a different way!
We obviously spoke to them about peoples concerns,and some of ways to improve,but we discussed a length how it could be improved..but not to their cost,which got them thinking....so we said we would do the work and fund it though Animal AId,(we think about the animals not the owners)
Anyway total cost......0 lira!! Rock collected over 2hour period,two vehicles to transport said rock and stone,and a couple of hours early this morning of hard labour lol..simon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 14:39:09 PM by tinkerman »

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
The Duck Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 13:40:03 PM »
Terrie, If you tell the owner that if the ducks start to lay on the island he should collect the eggs and use them or sell them.  Ducks are not particularly good at sitting on eggs if they are not in a quiet place so they will lay and leave them.  I used to have an incubator and hatched quite a few ducklings as I only occasionally got a broody duck.  I also used to have a great business selling Duck Eggs.  
If the owner thought he might make a little money from the ducks, it would go a long way towards the way he treats them.
Thanks again for all the help and hard work from the gang.    

Offline Karabag

The Duck Pond
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 17:50:16 PM »
Well done you are all amazing.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf