Author Topic: Music lessons  (Read 1813 times)

Offline sunnyd

Music lessons
« on: August 22, 2011, 21:54:45 PM »
My darling son has decided that he wants to learn to play the drums! Not the drums that you sometimes get with Turkish music ( or during Ramadan!.... but a full drum kit!  :o I have tried to persuade him to try guitar or piano.. but he's adamant on drums!!
I know of a few places that do music lessons, but they concentrate on piano, guitar, violin and saz etc. Does anyone know of a place that does drum lessons??
Any help is appreciated..... (I think  ;))
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 21:57:21 PM by sunnyd »

Offline sandgrounder

Music lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 22:16:51 PM »
Hi Nikki, speak with Aykut in Fethiye. He has a music school on the road that leads from Fethiye to Migros. It's called Fa-Re music school and he definately teaches drums:D

Offline screamlead

Music lessons
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 22:24:31 PM »
Theres a few shops in Fethiye selling full kits - dont buy him one yet! But may be worth asking in those if anyone teaches too. Does he just want to plug his ipod in and bash along or does he want to learn properly? Theres 2 qualifed ex professional percussionists on this forum.

Offline sunnyd

Music lessons
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 23:13:23 PM »
Thanks Russ, will try him.
Screamlead... I don't intend to buy him a full kit! There would be too many complaints from my neighbours aswell as me!  ;) an ipod.. what's that lol :D
He does want to learn properly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 23:15:09 PM by sunnyd »

Offline screamlead

Music lessons
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:36:04 AM »
Sunnyd - spoilsport! i can just imagine it, knocking hell out of a kit over here and the complaints ha ha. There are other options though such as dampening kits to cut out the noise and the 'other' option to go 'electric' which he will be the only one to hear it (apart from the sound of sticks on rubber) By properly i didnt just mean the 'Drums' i also mean reading and writing music too. Anyone can be taught a few rhythms (within reason) then they just progress to playing along to tracks etc. Theres a lot more to it than just bashing a few cymbals and skins until bordom sets in. Plus the cost of lessons too - no idea what it costs over here but would imagine in UK these days its nigh on 30 quid an hour.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
Music lessons
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:33 AM »
Adamant didnt play the drums

Offline sunnyd

Music lessons
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:27 AM »
:D:D

Offline sunnyd

Music lessons
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
Dave, yeah he is really serious about it, so I want him to learn to read and write music not just bash about  :)
I will try Fa-re as Russ suggested and see how we go.... ;)

Offline screamlead

Music lessons
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Sunnyd - ok np - gimme a shout if you get stuck, i'm sure i have some learner books here somewhere. What he may need early on is a practice pad - rubber pad to put on a table etc to practise his stick work. Some types of mouse mats work too! (and tin cans n upturned buckets!):-)

Offline sunnyd

Music lessons
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
will do thanks  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf