Author Topic: Nightmare Journeys!  (Read 1320 times)

Offline julesbob0303

Nightmare Journeys!
« on: August 31, 2011, 15:15:15 PM »
We returned home yesterday after a fantastic four week holiday in Calis.   8) :):D

The only downside were the journeys to and from Dalaman.  [^][:(!]:(

We have flown with Onur Air many times with no real problems, other than slight changes to departure times so were more than happy to book with them again this year.   :-\

This year, we chose to fly out of Gatwick (much cheaper than out of Bristol or Cardiff, our "local" airports) on 1st August.  We travelled up to London by train (hubby's a train driver, so we have free rail travel).  The first hurdle was when we arrived for the Gatwick Express to find there had been a flood on the line from a burst pipe and the line had been closed for over 4 hours!   :o

We had some time to spare, so had a quick re-think and piled our luggage and teenagers back into a taxi, thinking that we could have a change of direction if we went back to Victoria.  As we slammed the door shut, the staff shouted that the line had just re-opened!   :)

It was chaos as there was a huge backlog of passengers, though many had given up and had left, or were sitting around crying due to missed flights.  (We had been told that there was also a huge hold up on the road on the way to Gatwick, so no chance of getting there with a direct taxi.)  We finally managed to get on the train and arrived at Gatwick with only an hour to spare before our flight actually left!  (So glad I didn't book the VIP lounge for the four of us as I originally planned - we had no time to go in there, as we went straight through check-in!)   :)

We finally arrived at our apartment at 5am on the 2nd to find we had a massive problem with cockroaches (will post elsewhere about this!  :( )

Our problems continued as we then found out a day or so later that Aegean had gone bust, and we needed to contact the CAA to arrange a new flight home.  As we had friends flying out (luckily with Thomas Cook) to stay with us for the last week of our holidays, we decided to hold back on the call, in case they were sending passengers home early.  We really didn't want to go home before the 29th, though we had a day or so after this to play with before we had to return to work.   8)

I finally made contact a few days before the end of our holiday and we were given a flight home on Monday evening leaving Dalaman at 23.10 hrs.  We were pleased with this as our original flight would have been earlier that day anyway.   :)

However, the flight went via Bodrum to pick up more passengers, and landed at Manchester, with onward coach transfer to Gatwick!!!!  We asked at Dalaman if we could bail out at Manchester and get on one of the other coaches to Cardiff, Bristol or Birmingham and we were told that this would be fine.   :)

The flight left Bodrum around 1am Turkish time, with a lot of very tired babies and children on board.  (I have four kids so know how difficult it is with tired children.  However, allowing your child to watch cartoons on a personal dvd player at full volume with no headphones at 2am is taking the mick for other passengers!  The staff asked the parents many times to turn it down, but to no avail.  The child eventually fell asleep after about an hour and a half!   :o )

On arrival at Manchester around 3.30am British time, it was bedlam - no one there to tell us where we had to go or what we had to do.  We waited for the coaches to come in but our three choices all had minibuses rather than coaches and were full.  :(

We therefore chose to make our own way home, rather than go all the way to Gatwick and then have to get the train back to Wales.  (We had originally booked a Travelodge in Gatwick for the night of the 29th as we were due to land around 9pm.  As we didn't leave Dalaman until after 11pm, we lost this booking, and are unable to claim the money back for the room plus meals previously booked, as it was too short notice.)

To get home to South Wales, we had to get three trains and a bus, a total travel time from Dalaman of around 15 hours!   :o:(: :)

I now have the arduous job of claiming back for next year's flights.  Any ideas of where I even start?  They are booked on our credit card, so I guess I have to start with Barclaycard?  Thanks for any advice.   :)

Apologies if this has been covered on here already (I'm sure it has!) Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to go through all my missed posts yet!   :)

Roll on our next visit to Turkey - 7 weeks time, booked through Easy Jet!  :D

Just as an after thought - all you cbf'ers - keep an eye on which airline I book through!  I have lost flights through KTHY, Goldtrail and now Onur Air in the last year or so!  Maybe I'm a jinx on airlines .......   :o:P ;)[:o)]

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 15:16:50 PM by julesbob0303 »

Offline marina

Nightmare Journeys!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 17:10:47 PM »
julesbob, what a nightmare!  Glad you managed to get home ok in the end.  You'll need another holiday now  :)

Wish you hadn't put that bit at the bottom though and said your next flights were with Easyjet!!

We have flights with Easyjet in a couple of weeks to Spain and then our trip to Calis next May is with them too  :o

I'm (fairly!) confident we won't have a problem with them though  ;)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
Nightmare Journeys!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 20:23:59 PM »
Gosh what a nightmare Julie so glad you managed to have your full m onth though :)I am dying to read your cock roach story so will look or that in a mo! I only phoned my credit card supplier last Friday and have been refunded yesterday, cant believe it! I was told to email this address disputes@lloydsbanking.com (my bank is not Lloyds it is Halifax)so did this I had to put in the subject line my name postcode and the last four digits of the card i booked my flights with, I was emailed back with in a hour (I also attached all my booking invoices in the email) and was told they were looking into my case, then I received a call on Monday to say I would be refunded in the next few days and I have been cant fault them, try that address Julie and you may get refunded quite soon so you can book again for next year!:D

Offline karen

Nightmare Journeys!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 22:45:38 PM »
Start with Barclaycard, if you booked direct with Aegean/H4U you will get your money back quickly, they are aware of whats happen and will ask you a few questions and send you a form to fill in and ask for copies of your bookings ( I had my refund straight away before I had even returned the forms)it did say that they will take the money back if I didn't send info within 28days. I am still waiting for them to confirm everything but the money is still in my accounts so presumming everything going ok.

karen

Offline julesbob0303

Nightmare Journeys!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
Thanks Karen, will contact them today.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf