Author Topic: Personal safety in Fethiye (as a tourist)  (Read 2006 times)

Offline JohnNerush

Personal safety in Fethiye (as a tourist)
« on: September 19, 2011, 13:05:15 PM »
I have a small concern that I am hoping can either be dismissed or confirmed.

I am an avid photographer and I am really looking forward to the multitude of photographic opportunity's in and around Fethiye when I visit next week however I am slightly concerned about the risk of having my camera snatched. It is quite large and not so discreet (Nikon D1 DSLR) nor is it easy to conceal.

I appreciate that this is a risk anywhere however I was curios as to whether anyone knows of this happening often? Is Fethiye a fairly safe place for tourists?

Thanks in advance.

Offline dycedon

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 13:14:42 PM »
John
We have been going back and forth for the last six years and have never really seen any crime at all, as for snatching i doubt it very much, i would say you will feel safer in Fethiye than probably your home town, enjoy taking your photos as there are ample opportunities for some great shots.

Offline JohnNerush

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 13:20:07 PM »
Thank you Dycedon. I will post all my photos on the forum for anyone who would like them once we get home or if the internet connection is ok at the hotel then probably the day I take them  :)

Offline littlereddevil

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 13:55:47 PM »
I have been going to Fethiye for over 20 years and have never heard of a snatching there

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 14:06:01 PM »
There were reports a couple of years back of people on mopeds attempting to snatch handbags as they passed walking ladies although I have also never actually seen anything of the sort. Just be vigilant and sensible when you are walking about, especially late - but it really is a safe place to be so stay relaxed  8)

Offline jacx

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 14:19:08 PM »
Hi JohnNerush, I am an avid photographer also I have been going to Calis/ Fethiye for over fourteen years now. I also carry a large DSLR not just a compact and I have never had a problem. As Scunner says Just be vigilent, this kind of thing can happen anywhere at anytime. Infact I have had my handbag picked in london, and my purse stolen from it and I never felt a thing. Just enjoy the so many photographic opportunities, but take care as you would anywhere. :)

Offline JohnNerush

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 15:01:18 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance  :)

I didn't want to go with any un-needed concerns. Obviously, as suggested, it can happen anywhere and I am always vigilant (its my precious!) but wanted to be sure.

The internet provides such a great opportunity to speak with or at least read about places from people who either live their or visit, much more reliable and informative than travel agents and brochures!

Thanks again.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 16:25:16 PM »
oh my goodness you will love Fethiye for photographic opportunities - first stop the markets !   I also carry a large camera around with me - never leave home without it and have never had any problems.  Of course you need to have your wits about you and not leave them at restaurants as I have been known to in the past!  However that all turned out well because the waiter ran half way around Fethiye to find me to return it to me !!

We look forward to you sharing your photos when you get back !! come back and post them... ;) :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf