Author Topic: Istanbul  (Read 4441 times)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 07:10:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

Ps were not going for new year but the week after

Oh Good,  sorry for warning I felt like a party pooper after I wrote it. Not even sure where I heard it.  Do give us a report on your holiday as it is on my "to do" list.

Offline Harmless

Istanbul
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »
Sultan Ahmet.
Near to everything.
Have a great time, and buy a museum pass each, it will save you a fortune

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 17:21:19 PM »
Well that is a useful tip - where do you buy them from? anyone else with useful information - Im not really a traveller, in fact this is rather epic for me, i like the usual, the familiar, the I know where we can get one of those, which is why we bought a holiday home. I love the idea of exploring but in reality I am petrified of it all so all help will be gratefully received!

Offline Harmless

Istanbul
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 18:24:03 PM »
They sell them outside the museums in or next to the ticket booth.
We saw them at the Topkapi entrance.

Offline fethiyeflo

Istanbul
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 20:42:05 PM »
we are going on saturday for a few days and staying in the hippodrome hotel in sultan ahmet,i will let you know what it is like

Offline Gorgeous_bird

• Prolific Member
Istanbul
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 23:28:55 PM »
I think we have settled on the Tan hotel but will be interested in your experience Fethiyeflo

Offline starman™

Istanbul
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »
I would recommend taksim square over Sultanahmet. Sultanahmet maybe close to the main touristy sights of grand bazaar, blue mosque, topkpai palace and Aya sofiya but there is a whole load more to Istanbul then Sultanahmet and it would be good to get away from the tourist hordes and see some real istanbul life. taksim is the central spot and on the end of a metro line to go to other places other then sultanahmet.
IE, Dolmabahce palace, Ortakoy, Bebek, Kadikoy for sali pazari, princes islands, golf at the KCC, historical district of Arnavutkoy, Rumeli hisari and if feeling ventouros goto Anadolu kavak where not many tourists go but is stunning.
Sultanahmet is not everyday Istanbul and as a resident here for more years then I care to count, I maybe goto that area about once a year if that just like many other Turks do.
Still a great place to go if you have never been there but try and get a feel for the old and new. You have Sultanahmet for all its history but you will be surprised when you drive up buyukdere caddesi to Maslak and see how modern the place is getting with the current tallest skyscraper in Europe the istanbul Sapphire, the beaches at Kilyos......too much to mention.

Offline Harmless

Istanbul
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 13:52:11 PM »
Princes Island is a lovely day out and the monastery is well worth viewing.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you  have your camera ready.

Offline fethiyeflo

Istanbul
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 21:07:16 PM »
we just came back last night and had a lovely few days,stayed in sultan ahmet, got lost a few times but soon found our way, we just done lots of walking really not really sight seeing just looking,went to taskim on the tram and metro and it was really easy
we was lucky as my fellas friend and cousin live there and his friend took us to the istanbul forum and i shopped in h&m and ikea haha so i was happy
food and drink usually more expensive than fethiye

Offline Julesp

Istanbul
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 21:22:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgeous_bird

I think we have settled on the Tan hotel but will be interested in your experience Fethiyeflo

I stayed in the Tan Hotel a couple of years ago Its a nice place

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf