Author Topic: Will prices drop  (Read 3106 times)

Offline heather07

• Perth, UK
  • Prolific Member
Will prices drop
« on: January 13, 2012, 19:57:22 PM »

Offline grahamturner09

Will prices drop
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 20:27:17 PM »
I have no idea where they get the figures from but I went to Spain just over a year ago and there is no way turkey was 60% more expensive if anything it was the other way around the prices in Spain were ridiculous
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 22:09:55 PM by grahamturner09 »

Online marina

Will prices drop
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 20:54:35 PM »
Me neither graham. After our usual two weeks in Calis in May we went to Spain for 10 days in September last year.  It was a lovely place on Costa Blanca between Alicante and Benidorm.  We really enjoyed it and would go back, but cheap it certainly wasn't! We've also visited many parts of the Costa del Sol over the years and, while some places are much cheaper than others, I don't think there's anywhere you can describe as cheap, particularly compared to Turkey!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Will prices drop
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 21:21:54 PM »
We went to Spain last year (time to see other places after 10 years of Turkey only) and were ready for a shock when it came to prices but to be honest it really didn't come. Of course you need to choose your restaurants but certainly the ones we went to were very good quality, lovely locations etc and the girls always chose from the 3 courses for 9 to 10 euro menu (three courses is what holidays are about when you are 10!) and so the value (and food) was pretty damn good. Across from our apartment were two pizza/pasta places where nearly every pizza/pasta dish was 3.5 euro, beer 1.50, soft drinks 0.80 and they started at midday and finished 13 hours later - and hardly stopped seating and serving people for all that time. The food was excellent too - we had a couple of lunches there.

So unlike Graham, we didn't find it to be ridicules, I'd say across the board they were pretty much the same. As in Turkey you can eat to suit any budget, and eat well at all. Where they differ greatly in favour of Turkey is accommodation costs and airport transfer costs - and where they differ in Spain's favour is drinks on the house - I honestly think I got more drinks on the various houses in our 11 days in Spain than in 5 years living in Turkey...

:)

Offline grahamturner09

Will prices drop
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 22:11:20 PM »
Thank you mr scunner have corrected that :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Will prices drop
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 22:13:47 PM »
I thought you were talking all continental  ;)

Offline Ovacikpeedoff

Will prices drop
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 22:16:22 PM »
The problem with this type of survey is that it is only a small selection of items. Two of the items suncream and wine are a great deal more expensive in Turkey than in most other south med countries. So a fairly large difference in price will have an exagerated impact in the total overall price index.

As Scunner wrote items like transfers and accomadation are not included. If they were Spain and Turkey would come out around the same.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Will prices drop
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 22:37:30 PM »
Absolutely - as can be seen in a similarly weak Daily Mail article every year. Here is last year's equally dubious one being discussed: www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42275

Offline canadadry

Will prices drop
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 23:51:26 PM »
To go to Spain or Portugal etc in 2011 for 2 weeks and now in a forum like this to try to forecast what will happen in 2012 is ridiculous.
Stick to what you about know thats what I say.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Will prices drop
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 00:00:26 AM »
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Must be Friday night!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf