Author Topic: Why we love Calis  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 17:09:39 PM »
Yes I do hope he comes back. I spent many an afternoon in the Bus Stop, watching him practice this strange and unique act where he twiddled and tossed empty smirnoff bottles behind the bar until he had smashed them all on the floor.

Offline Bluwise

Why we love Calis
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 18:22:56 PM »
Travelling on a crowded Dolmus, my 3yr old grand-daughter was sat on her Mum's knee at the front and of course wanted to go to Daddy at the back.  A young man (probably early 20's)  without speaking, lifted her up and mid-way passing her to the back to Dad, kissed her gently on the cheek.  
That simple, tender gesture has stayed with me and is one of the first things I think of when dreaming of Calis -

Had that been the number 52 to Rotherham ...well, so many different outcomes!

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 18:23:56 PM »
Murat got married last week.  Hair cut off wearing a suit and that same cheeky grin:D  I'd to check twice on FB that is was really him.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 18:24:57 PM by Anne »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 18:40:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bluwise

Had that been the number 52 to Rotherham ...well, so many different outcomes!

How true that is Sue - and how many times I've pondered that. I do feel we should envy Turkey for it, we seem totally afraid of predators and perverts in the UK. Of course I do understand that there are bad people about and that you should always be vigilant, but not everyone who wants to give a child a hug or a kiss is a paedophile and we need to get that back in context in the UK.

I remember my parents came to Turkey for the first time to visit us, and they loved it but simply couldn't get their head around the adult/child interaction - especially my mum who had recently retired from over 20 years in Social Services working with children. I remember we went on a boat trip and one of our kids wanted to steer the boat (as usual) and the captain picked her up, cuddled her and sat her on a seat high enough to reach the wheel. Afterwards, to show her his approval at her navigation he lightly smacked her twice on the bottom as she walked away. Well, my mum was absolutely gobsmacked by this

And that is, in my own humble opinion, how much we have lost in this area as a country.

Offline Bluwise

Why we love Calis
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 20:24:16 PM »
We have indeed lost so much here for no gain.
We are "old school" and it is so lovely to return to good manners and genuine affection for children and older people in Turkey - it gives us pleasure to watch our little one being whisked off for an ice cream by a waiter - no panic or worried looks (although my eyes are never off her!)   We can't even take her photo over here at the local pool - "By Order" for fear we may capture someone else's child in the snap and do something dreadful with the picture.

We need to get real and stop accepting every ridiculous rule and regulation that's thrown at us "for our own protection".  
Well, it's almost a pleasure having to watch you don't fall down an unfinished man-hole in Turkey - take at least a little responsibility for your own safety I say and free up the millions spent on policing this and warnings about that..... and all those counselling/advisory groups...well that's another story that gets me heated!

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 23:33:38 PM »
i must admit when i brought the twins over on their first visit last year.it took some getting use to the Turkish people picking them up as we were walking on the prom and wanting their photos taken with them
(rob did try and charge them 10ytl per photo)

Offline davo

Why we love Calis
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 14:43:24 PM »
my experiance is of being burgaled once and attempted once and both times the police arrived the first time they took fingerprints etc
the second time they where told some one was trying to break in and caught the cuprit!!>
On both occassions staff members at bars   ie charlie at nils and a young lad from b52s both coming to the police station and interpreting until
the morning and then returning to the police station the next day.
when asked what i owe them etc both these guys smiled and refused to accept anything
thats why i love turkey.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 16:18:35 PM »
Since my original post I came across this photo of my good friend.

One of my all time favourite photos from Calis

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 16:19:04 PM by Highlander »

Offline raygans

Why we love Calis
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 19:01:41 PM »
We first went to calis in august 2010,arrived at telmessos at midnight the tempreture was 26 degrees and we were melting,after putting our daughter to bed we sat on the varanda to try and cool off when we were approched by two ladies from the villa opposite carrying a huge plate of ice cold watermelon and welcomed us,these lovely ladies (mother and daughter as we later found out) were so nice throughout our holiday,our daughter made friends with the children there and was called over there every morning for breakfast.Both ladies were eager to learn english and we spent time with them and our dictionarys and phrase books,needless to say we returned to the same place last year and have booked again for this year.We have met loads of lovely people and are looking forward to meeting more this year,we have definatly caught the calis bug x

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf