Author Topic: Why we love Calis  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« on: January 19, 2012, 21:35:23 PM »
I may have posted a similar story in 2008 but it's happened again.

The fellow next to Cowboy in this photo is Tashin, the handyman at Letoon when we stayed there and who became a very good friend.

Although we were fortunate enough to meet up with some of the ex Letoon staff on our last visit, Tashin was not there and it must be 3 years since I last saw him.

And yet, having heard through the Calis grapevine, he took the time to pick up the phone today to speak to Brenda and ask if I was in hospital and if I was ok. He also asked about another member of my family's health.

That's why Brenda and I love Turkey - the fabulous, fabulous people.

Tashin - you are a gentleman and I am so glad to have you as a friend.

Offline anna-marie01

Why we love Calis
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
That's a very nice story Highlander.  :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
I agree the difference (maybe the all important 1% difference) is the people and the stories people take home with them. As a similar offering...

We were in a bar (shock) on the seafront going back a good number of years, certainly before we had any ideas to move to Turkey, and it was quite late (after midnight) and back then there was no Mete market open 24 hours or anything of the like - a tragedy because although we could carry on our evening, we had run out of fags! I asked at the bar if they sold them and no. I asked if they knew of anywhere open that sold them and they said if there was, they would send someone to get them but it was now too late.

We carried on our evening and around five minutes later a guy who had been sitting nearby very quietly and alone walked across to me and said "I wasn't trying to listen, but I heard you have no cigarettes. I am leaving now and I have cigarettes at home - please have these" - and gave me a full pack and an open one with a few in. I was absolutely stunned - this sort of thing doesn't happen much in Leighton Buzzard! I thanked him but said that I couldn't possibly take them. He was quietly insistent and said he would not take them back. I thanked him greatly and he said "have a nice time" and went on his way.

That quietly spoken individual turned out to be no other than someone many wouldn't associate with quietness really - and a guy who never let us down in all the years since...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 13:54:18 PM »
The present Mrs H recognises the body but cannot remember his name ;).

Thinks his name might be Murat (fair chance some may say) laterly of B52 and/or Scarlett.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 15:12:54 PM »
Yesterday a lady got on the dolmus, but banged her head in the doorway and it started to bleed.
A flurry of tissues followed, someone gave up their seat for her, everyone was asking if she was ok, then a few minutes later another lady got on the dolmus and took over holding the heavily bloodstained tissue on her head for her.

When the dolmus reached the hospital the lady who was holding the tissue for her, helped her off the dolmus and accompanied her into the hospital.

No one seemed to bat an eyelid and think this was unusual, except me!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 15:30:33 PM »
I'm fairly sure our dolmus to Gocek last September took a not insignificant detour so that an elderly gent, laden with a big sack of tatties. was dropped as near as possible to his house.

As with kayakebab's post there were plenty of willing hands on the dolmus to help the old fella/

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 15:39:31 PM »
It was amazing to see how the girls so naturally learned to sit on the lap of a seated gentleman (generally of a certain age) on a crowded dolmus when we lived in Turkey. No problem, no need to tell them, no hesitation - they climbed up and got comfortable. You can add your own ending to this story...

On one of our holidays to the UK from Turkey, we got on a very busy bus, heading into Belfast...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 15:57:11 PM »
...there was standing room only, but it wasn't long before a young lady stood up and offered me her seat...

Offline Jenny Daly

Why we love Calis
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 16:44:06 PM »
It is so true the Turkish people are the most hospitable!!  I have travelled a great deal of the world and apart from Thailand I think the Turkish are the best - We have three Turkish families that live on our complex - they constantly knock on our door with plates of food, fruit, cakes.....they want to share everything with us!!  We were amazed when we first came over because you just don't get that in England - well not where I live anyway.  We reciprocate always ..... but my cooking is definately not as good as theirs.

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
Why we love Calis
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 17:06:54 PM »
Murat is now in thia land dont know if he is comming back or not :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf