Author Topic: Introducing our 2012 Project - Bozalan School  (Read 37397 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Introducing our 2012 Project - Bozalan School
« on: March 07, 2012, 15:53:27 PM »
As previously mentioned, CBF has decided to support a specific project working in tandem with the Calis Children's Charity (3C) who you probably know undertake many projects, often in order to make life more rewarding, educational and fun for those local kids who are not lucky enough to have everything they need. In fact, it isn't about getting everything they need - even the bare minimum necessary for basic things like a good education and a fun playtime can be a cost well beyond some schools.

Our first ever project will be for Bozalan School - high in the hills above Saklikent. Refreshingly cooler in summer; damp, cold and unhealthy in winter. In fact, so damp that some of the classrooms couldn't be used at all, and teachers had to sleep on site as the road was so bad. 3C charity have seen more needy local schools than most of us - and the condition of this school was a shock even to those hardy folk.

Generous local benefactors (as far as I know wishing to remain anonymous) have kicked off the improvements by sorting out the appalling roof, and putting in a central heating system - which is a wonderful start - in fact the two most important things because we can't do much good under a leaking roof in stone cold rooms.

The next requirement is to have the toilet block fitted out - the ceramics (I'm trying to be posh here) have also been donated and I hope to convince a local building company to install them free of charge and will keep you informed. The whole place also needs painting but to give you an idea of the current state of the building, this will have to wait perhaps for a whole sunny summer to dry through before I hopefully find another good hearted local company to do the job.

Where you can help:

We have a list of items that the school needs - some of it desperately and some of it just to make the school day a bit more rewarding. From coloured pencils to a lorry load of desks. The proposal is that we publish the list of requirements and members can pledge to donate to buy one of them that is in their price range - rather like a wedding list - and as the individual items are pledged for, we will put a line through them. Members can also make a ‘normal' donation in the usual CBF/Paypal fashion, and we will put these together to hopefully cover a few larger items.

The largest items we hope will be funded through a sponsor system - we will contact local companies and remind them how many free recommendations they got in the nine years of CBF and  would they like to join us on this project and receive great publicity on here for their generosity. Members who have close relationships with a local business are humbly asked if they could propose that they sponsor something. It would also be nice if members who we have been here for when they needed advice could be here for us for this special project! We also have vague plans to have some fund raising evenings between now and the Carnival week.

We will put the list up shortly so you can see what we are aiming to raise funds for. In the meantime, you can read more about Bozalan School here: http://calis-beach.co.uk/forum/calis_childrens_charity/bozalan_school_45802.0.html

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 19:48:39 PM »
Sounds good to me - look forward to seeing the lists  8)

Offline Karennina

• Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 21:50:05 PM »
count me in I have gained a wealth of knowledge from CBF over the years and probably saved money in various ways thanks to this forum. I work at two schools so will keep my eye out for things that get chucked out never ceases to amaze me the things that get thrown away over here, they are not even offered to charity shops or local children's homes. :)

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:48 AM »
Have e.mailed you Karen. xx

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
This sounds a great scheme, not just a short term fix to the physical problems, but something with long term future benefits in the contribution it makes to the kids and their lives.  Well done for the work done so far, and good lick with the planned fund raising.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:20:41 AM »
All efforts to support us are usually most welcome Pete. I don't wish to sound ungrateful but can we pass on the good lick?

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 15:54:39 PM »
None of the committee warned me that we should have danger money for driving up to Bozalan school!! Some of us went to Derekoy school today same direction but the opposite side of the hill. All I can say is "Rod you deserve a medal" a road would be nice to get up there. LOL :o

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 18:27:56 PM »
Announcing the <b>extensive</b> list of needs for Bozalan School below - yes they really do need all of these - let's hope we can do our best, whether that is everything on it or some of it, we'll collectively make one hell of a real difference for these kid's schooling and playtime.

Remember, you can help in one of several ways:

1. Choose one or more items on the list you would like to supply funding for.
2. Make a 'regular' donation (which we will pool/allocate to items)
3. If you are close to a local business, say an estate agent, restaurant, tour company or shop - please ask them to sponsor one of the items (or more than one!) - I will personally see the publicity they receive on CBF and Fethiye.co.uk will be well worth their effort. My experience is (and this is not meant to offend anyone, it is a great compliment that businesses in Calis and Fethiye rarely offer to sponsor charity events - but when asked are nearly always delighted to pitch in - so PLEASE ask wherever possible!

Details of how to donate/sponsor to follow, but for now here is the list: Only ORANGE items to go now!!!

3 large classroom pinboards  £20 Anonymous
Wooden shoe cupboard and coat hanger cupboard for nursery class £150  Combined CBF Donations
Wooden shoe cupboard  and coat hanger cupboard for large classroom £150 Combined CBF Donations
Double desk and chairs - we need 15 now 8 of these -  £70 each
5 Turkish dictionaries £15 anonymous donation
5 Turkish Expression dictionaries £15 Toky
Coloured  pens and pencils sets for 5 children  - £25 Buddy
Coloured pens and pencils sets for 5 children - £25
Coloured pens and pencils for 5 children - £25
Coloured  pens and pencils sets for 5 children  - £25
Coloured  pens and pencils sets for 5 children - £25
Coloured pens and pencils for 5 children - £25
5 Spelling guide books - £10 christine
5 big sets of playdough - £20 june
Chess Set - £10 Toky
Education posters for walls - £20 Heather07 & hubby Gus
1 x lot of  various stationary materials (paper, exercise books etc) - £20 Anonymous
1 x lot of  various stationary materials (paper, exercise books etc) - £20 Anonymous
Various craft materials - £15 Babadaq Bridge
Various craft materials - £15 Babadaq Bridge
Big plastic skittle/bowls set for nursery class - £12 cazza
4 x  glove puppets  - £20
4 x glove puppets - £20
5 sets finger paints -  £22
4 footballs - £20 true blue
2 basketballs - £14 Toky
Small childrens freestanding basketball hoop - £30 Heather07 & hubby Gus
Skipping ropes - £20 Heather07 & hubby Gus
Giant lego set for nursery class - £30 Heather07 & hubby Gus
1 x wooden picnic table and benches  £100 Jacqui Harvey
1 x wooden picnic table and benches £100
1 x wooden picnic table and benches £100
Slippers for 10 children - £18 jacqtay
1 x selection of puzzles - £20 LisaRob
1 x selection of puzzles - £20
1 x selection of puzzles - £20
1 x metal double swing set for playground including installation - £250 Embrace Charity
1 x metal double swing set for playground including installation - £250
1 x metal see-saw for playground including installation - £100 Cenk & Olga at Interturk Estates
1 x metal see-saw for playground including installation  - £100 Embrace Charity
Waste bins for classrooms - £20 Highlander
Classroom carpet 7m x 5m - £215 including fitting
1 x nursery classroom cupboard - £166  Combined CBF Donations
1 x main classroom cupboard  - £166 Combined CBF Donations
1 x set of  nursery classroom drawers £175 Combined CBF Donations
1 x set of  main classroom drawers  £175 Combined CBF Donations
DVD player - £30 Pledge received (anonymous)
32" Television - £250 Bekir at Eren Spot
1x selection of table games - £20 Sunlover
1 x selection of table games - £20
1 set of 21 wooden lockers for children - £350 Anne & Barb's Coffee Morning!!!
1 x set of reading/story  books - £10 steveb1
1 x set of reading/story  books - £10 steveb1
1 x set of reading/story books - £10 littlereddevil
1 x set of reading/story books - £10 littlereddevil
1 x set of reading/story books - £10 june
1 x set of reading/story books - £10 pompeylil
1 x set of reading/story books  - £10 Bluwise
1 x wooden modular classroom furniture set (fills one whole wall of class) - £540
1 x selection small musical instruments  £20 Babadaq Bridge
1 x selection of small musical instruments £20 Anonymous
1 x selection of small musical instruments £20 MGT
1 x light fitting     £18
1 x  light fitting    £18

1 x light fitting     £18 dycedon

Let the crossing items off the list commence

Thanks guys  :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 21:51:26 PM by Scunner »

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 21:03:15 PM »
I have added a quick page that explains how to donate via Paypal - this is at http://calis-beach.co.uk/bozalan_school.htm

The important bits are that it is best to log in to your paypal account directly at www.paypal.co.uk rather than use the donate link. Logging in this way means you can select 'gift' as the transfer type, meaning Paypal will not deduct their fee from your donation [full details on where to find "gift" are given on page 3 of this topic]. The account email address for this project is shown below:

If you use the "Donate" button on the Bozalan School page, Paypal will  deduct their handling fee as there is no option to select "gift" as the transfer type.

If you are pledging to buy a specific item via the donate button please can you add 7% to ensure there is enough after Paypal have taken their fee to pay for the item. If in doubt you can contact me and I will give you my bank details (assuming I know you) for a fee free transfer.

Any questions please ask away.

Also, to maximise publicity - please can Facebook users consider pasting the donation page - http://calis-beach.co.uk/bozalan_school.htm - into their Facebook status, it may bring us a donor or two - thanks  :)

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 21:36:00 PM »
Hi Keith, thank you and CBF so much for taking on Bozalan School as the official 2012 CBF charity project.  It would be absolutely brilliant if the great people on CBF are able to help provide for some  (or  hopefully a lot) of the items on Bozalan's wish list.  It will really make a difference to the daily lives of these children (and also to the children that follow on at the school when the present youngsters  leave for "big school" in Kemer).

The children really do have very, very little at the moment and it would be great to provide them with some of the nicer things as well as the basic basics - things that are just taken for granted by children at UK schools.

I understand that some residents out in Turkey are already looking to pledge some money for this worthwhile project.   This will be collected by the 3C's on behalf of CBF and official receipts given and we will then add this to the running CBF total.

Again thank you so much on behalf of the 3C's and the staff and children at Bozalan village school.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf