Author Topic: Hand Luggage with Wheels  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Ray1951

Hand Luggage with Wheels
« on: March 22, 2012, 22:36:52 PM »
Just had a call from a friend who told me that Thomas Cook were stopping people taking small suitcases with wheels as hand luggage. They insisted that all hand luggage fitted into the measuring frames and they were being VERY strict - no leeway whatsoever. If your hand luggage had wheels it had to go in the hold and if, combined with your main luggage, weighed more than the weight you had paid for, you are being charged £12 per kilo extra.  This was on a TC flight out of Manchester. What next???

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 22:45:47 PM »
Total rubbish Ray - possibly even more unlikely than your last TC report that they are now weighing duty free. As for hand luggage not fitting into the measuring frames, if it is the wheels that prevent it fitting then it doesn't fit. There is simply no possibility that hand luggage with wheels cannot be taken on board anymore - nearly all of it has wheels these days!

I've got £50 that says this is total junk - anyone care to take up the bet? Loser gives £50 to the Bozalan School project...

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 22:52:28 PM »
I believe that the weight restriction and hand luggage rules should be enforced.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 22:52:55 PM by Highlander »

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 23:27:33 PM »
They stopped us taking our hand luggage in October because it was a couple of inches bigger than the frame thing. They were letting loads on with wheels that did fit though (and loads on with bigger hand luggage than ours that obviously never went to Mrs Jobsworth to check in).

Offline Firo

Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
If it is within the measurements that they dictate it can go as hand luggage whether it has wheels or not. The clue is in the measurements!

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
Load of bullucks!

My guess is someone has been caught out trying to get too much weight on board and feel a little peeved.

I have however seen Ryanair stop people (happened to me last October) at the gate and ask them to fit the hand luggage in the measurement thingy... and so they bloody should! Some people get away with murder on what they class as hand luggage.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:53:52 AM by stoop »

Offline Ray1951

Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:12:34 AM »
At the end of the day ALL carriers will find a way to screw us but if you check out the TC website you will see that the size of hand luggage
has changed from last year - F A C T !  The use of semi bad language is NOT appreciated. Some people on the forum think they know it all.  I have only imparted information given to me or factual happenings in which I have been involved.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
£50 bet Ray - are you up for it or not, you do sound confident :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:34:59 AM »
Oh and for the record, I don't see anyone in this topic who "think they know it all" - just we've been on here a long time and can spot the difference between fact and second hand gossip. I don't know it all about your friend's story but I'll tell you exactly how this ludicrous story came about:

Your friend's hand baggage didn't fit in the dimensions frame. Had it not been for the wheels, it would have, it was a close run thing. As it didn't fit, it isn't permissible in the cabin (nothing new there) and it had to be put in the hold, for which there is a fee. When you spoke to him, he told you it had to go into the hold "because of the wheels" - which, upon hearing you came here to tell us luggage with wheels cannot be taken on TC flights as hand baggage.

I know I'm right on this one Ray - I am, aren't I  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Hand Luggage with Wheels
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:57:47 AM »
Sorry you didn't appreciate my 'semi bad language' but I get really annoyed when people complain about things that they can avoid if they just read/stick to the rules. It's not rocket science to read the terms and conditions before you turn up at the airport. I'm sure most people do this but then there are others who either don't do it or just ignore it and try and blag their way through check-in hoping they can get away with a little extra. No good moaning if they get caught! No sympathy from me for holding up the queue I'm in!

So - YES FTC do have a smaller allowance for hand baggage. They are bottom of the allowances for size and weight! They are miserly... but they are the rules and are printed in plain English.

Easy Jet:  You can take one piece of hand baggage into the cabin with you -no bigger than 56 x 45 x 25cm incl wheels- which must fit comfortably into the baggage gauge. 10kg

BA: Your main piece of hand baggage is up to the dimensions 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in), including the handle, pockets and wheels.
Your bag must fit into the bag gauge, available at the check-in area. 23kg.

FTC: Each person is allowed to carry one 5kg piece of hand luggage on to the plane up to 43cm x 28cm x 23cm. 5kg

Ryanair: Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

Monarch: Ooops! Take care to comply with our hand baggage restrictions or you will be charged £50 / €60 to have your bag put in the hold. One piece of cabin baggage per person to include handbags and laptops + one standard size carrier bag of goods purchased from the departure airport. Hand luggage dimensions must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (including handles and wheels) and must not weigh more than 10kg.

Thomson: Each customer is entitled to a check-in allowance of up to 15kg baggage and a maximum 5kg for hand baggage (max. dimensions: 55cm x 40cm x 20cm).

Jet2: Hand luggage: One small item no heavier than 10kg and measuring a maximum of 56 x 45 x 25 cm (including handles and wheels).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf