Author Topic: Highlander's Absence - Some Sad News  (Read 12295 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Highlander's Absence - Some Sad News
« on: April 04, 2012, 22:09:57 PM »
To arrive directly at the point, I am personally devastated to let friends (both "real life" and virtual) know that John & Brenda lost their daughter Rachel on the 24th.

Rachel was diagnosed with a very rare form of cervical cancer on 11 November, just 10 days after hosting a surprise 60 birthday for John.  If I can quote him directly..."As you might know from her fb posts she made light of her illness and I never heard one single negative word from her and her indomitable spirit was there to the end...". This was most certainly the case, Rachel has always been in conversations with me and many other members of CBF via John and her contributions didn't change one iota at any time - she very much "got on with it".

She passed away peacefully in her sleep on Saturday 24 March. She was 36.

Her wish was to have family flowers only and a collection for Childline for which she had just qualified to a be a Councillor which of all her achievements John was most proud. Over £1,000 was collected for the charity at the funeral which is a testament to her alone.

John and Brenda have many, many friends on CBF and in Calis and as a team in admin we have known for a couple of days and we are absolutely distraught that this has happened to two of the nicest and most genuine people Calis has sent our way. Many people associated with Calis and Fethiye will also be sharing the grief.

John & Brenda have also told me that while they realise very few people reading this will have met Rachel,they would get great comfort from anyone who feels they would like to make a gesture of goodwill in her memory by making a small contribution to the CBF School project. I have countered this with a proposal that any such donations will be split 50/50 with Childline - another wonderful cause.

Sorry, I did pre-warn you it was sad news :( But John, Brenda, your friends are here if there is anything we can do for you.

Offline legless

• Muppet on Wheels
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 22:24:25 PM »
So very sad, our thoughts are with you both,
God Bless
Ron & Maggie

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 22:32:21 PM »
Keith we're absolutely dumbfounded. We have been privileged to meet John and Brenda and would like to send them our sincere condolences and our love. No, we did not know Rachel although we new of her and would be happy to make donation in her memory.
Ken & Sue

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 22:33:21 PM »
Dear John and Brenda, both Dogan and I are absolutely devastated to hear this sad news. We knew something was wrong but were not party to the details so this comes as a terrible shock.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time, much love Nichola and Dogan

Offline Rindaloo

• Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 22:34:59 PM »
What terribly sad news.  Sending our love to you and your family.  Lynne & Dave xXx

Offline Pi55y

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 22:38:04 PM »
John and Brenda, Pete and I send our love and support to you both at this very, very sad time.  We did not know your daughter but can understand your loss and feel for you.  The loss of a child, is one of the hardest things to deal with and to come to terms with - our hearts go out to you both.

Thank you for your kindness in wanting to donate any contributions made in your daughter's memory to the Bozalan School project - like Keith I feel that any contributions should be split 50/50 with Childline, a cause that was clearly very dear to your daughter.

Keith please could you advise how payments should be made. Thank you.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 22:38:44 PM »
As you know John & Brenda, our every waking thought is with you both. At this particular moment, there are no words that can say how sad we both are concerning your devastating loss. Hope to speak to you both when you are properly ready.
We shall be making a donation to Childline soonest. Love, Gordy & Loz.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 22:40:19 PM by GordonA »

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 22:39:27 PM »
I just said to my husband last night, that John was very obviously missing from the forum and did wonder if all was well. He's a daily poster, so was conspicuous by his absence.
This is such sad sad news and devastating for the family.
We send our heartfelt thoughts  and prayers to John and Brenda at this very difficult time. I cant think of anything worse than your children going before you.
Rosemary & Robin xxxxx

Offline DianeT

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 23:06:30 PM »
So sorry for your loss, our thoughts are with you.
Diane & Steve xx

Offline laffa

• benitez
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 23:44:26 PM »
Keith, glad that you have made this post. thank you.
It goes without saying, that we have struck up a very fond friendship with John & Brenda over the years, and my heart feels really heavy for them, we have exchanged gifts at special times during our friendship,and even when Rachel was ill, they very kindly made an anonymous donation to The Hillsborough Appeal,without any fuss or need for applause,( I knew by the writing on the envelope)I dont have any fancy words or poems at this stage, but can only send them my love and prayers, no words could possibly take the hurt away.thanks once again Keith.x

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf