Author Topic: Pensioners Eating Out  (Read 4381 times)

Offline swindsor

Pensioners Eating Out
« on: April 02, 2013, 15:45:30 PM »
We have come to Calis for the last four years in the summer and are coming again in July 2013.  There's six of us - myself, my husband, our two kids (17 & 20!!) and my parents who are both in their 70's.  We love to eat out most evenings and we love the choice available to us.  We love that we have a lovely plate full but my parents are often over faced and struggle to eat even half of it.  They don't have a big appetite anyway but in the heat they eat even less.  They do like to eat out and love the social side to it  When they eat out at home they usually order "pensioners" meals and I wondered if anywhere in Calis offered  a similar option.  If could be said that they could just leave what they don't want  but they find it embarrassing when the waiter collects their plates and there's loads not touched.   They always explain the food was lovely, just too much for them.  I have often thought about ordering children's portions for them but wondered if this would be frowned upon? Thank you

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Pensioners Eating Out
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 15:54:34 PM »
After the kids grew out of the kiddie menus we spent a few years asking for an adult portion halved and never had a problem at all. Turkey is great like that, you can order a half portion, full portion - even one and a half portions! Just tell them your parents don't eat too much, it will be fine just about anywhere.

Offline pookie

• Prolific Member
  • One hell of a Pookie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 15:55:29 PM »
Hi swindsor
I have a teenage daughter who eats like a mouse.......and we become very fed up and upset when the waiter returns to take away half a plateful of perfectly good food.  However in Calis we have found that if we ask for small portions, they are happy to accommodate - some even reducing the price accordingly !!   I haven't yet found anywhere that wouldn't help.  They are a really helpful bunch !

Offline swindsor

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 16:00:51 PM »
Thanks for your replies.  I'll pass on what you've both said to my mum and dad.  They'll be happier knowing it's acceptable and others do it.

Offline barry44544

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 16:02:48 PM »
Go to the Shaka..... They'll have no problem eating the portions there....

Offline marina

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 16:03:27 PM »
Not sure about 'pensioner' offers, but I know I'm often overfaced with some of the portions you get in some restaurants.  I usually ask for a starter portion, or order two starters, one as a main course and that's usually enough for me, especially if they bring the bread out beforehand too!

I don't think you'll have many problems just asking for a smaller portion for your parents, it's worth giving it a try as I do know what you mean about sending loads of food back untouched, apart from being very wasteful it looks like you haven't enjoyed it, which certainly most of the time you've enjoyed it a bit too much!    :)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 16:05:13 PM »
I remember telling a Turkish friend that I found pide a difficult thing to have for lunch as for me one was not enough and two was way too much. He just looked at me like I was bonkers and said "order one and a half then"  :)

It is us who make the rules, not the Turkish - they will sell you what you want to buy. It's also along the same lines that I used to wonder if the Turkish chicken/meat stalls at the Sunday market ever wondered why all the British only buy eggs in sixes and twelves - it's the way us Brits are programmed :D

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 16:10:28 PM »
some freinds we go out with a not big eaters, they often ask for one meal between them and an extra plate, they have never had problems at any of the restaurants doing this.
Mark

Offline Supacabby

• Sunny Brighton
  • Location: Sunny Eastbourne by the sea aka Gods waiting room :)
  • Calis Beach - next best place to heaven...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 16:22:49 PM »
Mark beat me to it, done this many times, even for a big guy I find the meals too much sometimes, especially at "Lances Bistro"!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 19:56:13 PM »
If we have a meal at the Mozaik Bahce I could never manage a dessert as the helping are so big.  However, I always feel guilty if I leave anything as the food is so good. 
I have asked for a smaller portion but this does not work at all.  We were in there for lunch one day with Jim and Helen Fraser and she asked for a child's portion and it was huge...

However, getting back to the subject, I would say that everyone has a different appetite and it does not matter your age.  If you ask for a smaller in portion in most places you would get it.  My Father ate very small portions, but loved a huge starter and big sweet, but he would have been mortified if we had of asked for a pensioners meal.. He did not want anyone to know his age. He was proud of looking younger.  We just asked for a small main meal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf