Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 4588 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Scottish Independence
« on: November 28, 2013, 12:00:28 PM »
If you care and have an hour to spare then you may find this worth watching...

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/aljazeeracorrespondent/2013/11/scotland-brave-201311157143845856.html

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 19:09:58 PM »
I didn't click the link Nichola, waste of time, as an extremely patriotic and proud Scotsman, it will not happen.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 20:08:16 PM »
Strange isn't it? As a Scotsman living in England you will not get the vote. However, we two, an Englishwoman and an Irishman living in Scotland, we will get the vote..

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 20:12:17 PM »
And another English/Irish combination here with two votes  :)

Has anyone seen any polls on the likely outcome? From the people I know it is a scientific 0% For 100% against. Seems like Salmond is playing some ultimate fairy tale fantasy game, where succeeding is impossible.

Offline echogirl1

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 21:17:37 PM »
It seems to me, an ignorant Englishwoman, that the only people to gain from an independent Scotland are the SNP who will have a bigger voice in the politics of the United Kingdom, united we stand, divided we most definitely fall!!

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 21:24:27 PM »
One of the latest polls say No's have a 9% lead with 15 % undecided

Alex Salmond may already be dead in the water because not enough people trust him and the more he continues to steadfastly refuse to give specific answers to specific questions he worse off he will be.

Unless he can categorically convince enough people that they will be better off then he will be dead in the water.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 21:38:44 PM »
As was said today in the Scottish Parliament - he gives off the impression of someone who will offer and promise anything to get independence.

Should he get it, I doubt many trust him to keep those nice things in place for long.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 21:45:27 PM »
After meetings with him when he was our local M.P.  Meetings on different matters,  I  can confirm, he promised help and did absolutely nothing.  He is a total waste of space who is only interested in Alex Salmond.  I have yet to meet anyone local to me who has a good word for him.  All the years he was local M.P. the only thing he did was buy himself a lovely big old mill in it's own grounds, so he could have a local second home.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 22:02:20 PM »
The really dangerous thing is that he is a very skilful politician. if it were not for him I doubt we would be even discussing the matter.

He says that he will save £ 100's of million pounds be getting rid of Trident from Scotland. That's probably true. But what he doesn't tell us is how much our share of relocating it will be or how many jobs, direct and indirect, he will have destroyed.

He says we will keep the pound sterling. But that's not our call. What will he do if George Osborne says No thanks and sends us homeward to think again.

Etc. etc. etc.......................

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 22:12:08 PM »
Strange isn't it? As a Scotsman living in England you will not get the vote. However, we two, an Englishwoman and an Irishman living in Scotland, we will get the vote..

Yes it is Jacqui. And the absolute last thing I want is for "celebrity Scots" who have set up home in the wonderful USofA and who haven't paid taxes in this country for years, coming back buying a sh*t-hole of a flat in Glasgow and registering so that they can get a vote.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf