Author Topic: The Things You Miss the Most in Calis (From Yesteryear)  (Read 4270 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
The Things You Miss the Most in Calis (From Yesteryear)
« on: January 19, 2014, 23:17:27 PM »
In a couple of other topics (and FB discussions) some of us have been looking back (maybe rose tinted) at years gone by and discussing how "things were better in the good old days". If they were, why were they...what do you miss (if anything at all).

For me I miss the simplicity - you couldn't easily buy things like gammon steaks and Marmite, but the things you could buy were cheap back then. Can't be bothered cooking dinner? No problem, I'll nip up to Gunlukbasi and get a whole cooked chicken for 2 lira (yes, 2 lira) and if that wasn't a bargain enough, the man would wrap it in that amazing flat bread - when you got home the bread was full of juices and chicken flavours. And that was the meal for the 4 of us, chicken and bread    :) Today meat is so expensive, alcohol too. I remember thanking the site guys where we stayed with a bottle of Cin (their tipple when they had their weekly staff BBQ) for 10 lira! Raki is today more expensive than an imported bottle of Scotch whisky was in 2005, and we thought that was expensive!

Government and laws didn't matter back then - who cared what they introduced as a new law? Nobody I knew. Now we are looking through our fingers at Hurriyet and Today's Zaman.

There's loads more rose tinted speculation, but first I'll let others have their say if they want to    :)

Offline Menthol

Re: The Things You Miss the Most in Calis
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 23:58:38 PM »
Spangles.

Offline kevin3

• Prolific Member
Re: The Things You Miss the Most
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 00:23:27 AM »
I miss the days when;
You knew your bank managers name, and he knew yours.
There were no speed camera's.
You didn't need a bank loan to fill up with petrol.
You could walk out of a job in the morning and start a new one in the afternoon.
You could pick and choose which American Rock n Roll star you would go and see at local dance halls for approx 3/- shillings.
There was a community spirit in your local area.
There was no Human Rights and Health and Safety Acts.
I wasn't an old fart. !!!!!          :)

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
Being a "Fethiye person", my best memory of  Çalış is when I hardly knew it existed...

JF

Offline janmack

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:19:43 AM »
Standing waiting for a dolmus and a friendly local stopping to offer you a lift in his beat up car...never seems to happen now. 

Offline trainer

• Last man standing
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »
Standing waiting for a dolmus and a friendly local stopping to offer you a lift in his beat up car...never seems to happen now. 
It does if you’re a woman and its late at night

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
The one thing/place we really miss is La Terace (that is the way it was spelled).  Sitting up there having a lovely meal with great staff and owner, who where all so chilled out was fabulous. Also getting a seat at the front and doing some people watching was really good.  A visit to Calis was never complete without a meal at La Terace and seeing Serkan standing outside waiting to welcome you in. 

Offline janmack

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
I don't think many women would stand alone waiting for a dolmus late at night these days Trainer...I don't think I would have done it here even years ago.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 14:15:20 PM »
What I miss are some of the "old" friends who are no longer with us. I don't miss anything else about Calis, but Lorraine , ( when we lived there), liked Calis only when it "closed down" for winter, and there was a distinct lack of E.P.K.'s hanging around !!   ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 15:18:24 PM »
The days when mini-markets never had any small change so that you left with whatever you had bought plus a handful of boiled sweets. I bought an English version Daily News every morning and saved up enough change/sweeties to pay for a copy and tried to hand them over in lieu of money. The shopkeeper didn't think that was very funny at all; it probably wasn't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf