Author Topic: Scottish Independence  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 20:24:09 PM »
The vote result will show how many Scots believe that independence is better. I'd suggest way less than 50% see it that way  :)

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 20:25:42 PM »
I have lived in England and Scotland.  I also have Irish heritage I have spent a lot of time in Ireland and I would say, come and live in Scotland, it's a totally different situation to the Eire Northern Ireland one.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 20:27:58 PM »
Maybe yes maybe no Scunner

But as this is a process  whilst a victory is  preferable, a good percentage is an excellent bridgehead to build on.

Even if they dont win on this occasion Scot Nats aren't going to become pro London . The political campaign continues .

I agree Jacqui its a VERY different situ.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 20:34:24 PM »
The big question centres around oil. Will Scotland be better off? Well, oil tax revenue to the UK is around the same as what the UK treasury give to Scotland.

If oil related tax revenues go up, Scotland is better off. If they decline (and most think they will sooner or later), Scotland would have been financially better staying in the Union.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 20:41:03 PM »
Maybe

But I do find it interesting as I have previously posted that many English feel it a disgrace that faraway politicians totally detached  and unrepresentative of them make decisions which effect their lives, yet expect Scots to be happy with a govt with no support and even less interest in Scotland.

Have a poll around London- lets face it for those in power thats mainly the only place that counts- about what they think of Scotland. Most would need a map to find it.

Go for it Scotland, don't belittle yourselves staying in a failing club that doesnt want you!!!

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 20:45:55 PM »
At the end of the day it is beautiful that people can make Braveheartesque calls for Scots to stand up and take control of their beloved country and stop a London based group of Etonians with no support in Scotland deciding how those north of the border should live.

But ultimately, they will vote the way they think will put more in their purse, or take less out. I can't see many concluding that an independent Scotland will be the wealthier future.

Offline saoirse

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2014, 20:50:09 PM »
Well its up to the Scots- their country their vote.

I hope sooner rather than later they go for independence.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2014, 20:54:12 PM »
Yes true - I also tend to agree with Jacqui that independence might have stood a better chance with someone a little more credible than Salmond heading the campaign. No facts, no answers, just "it will be ok".

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 22:14:34 PM »
People of Scotland should look to their pride and self respect.

If there was a vote amongst the English re Scotland they would dump them tomorrow.

Better Independent

So if I, or anyone else, votes No, we have no pride in our country or self respect in ourselves >:(.

Rubbish  !!!!!

Offline saoirse

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 22:19:26 PM »
As I say its your call not mine.

If you're happy being ruled by those with no interest and even less support in your country its your call.

I can only give my own view and certainly wouldn't want to be part of a club where at best the majority couldn't care less if I was in or out

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf