Author Topic: Beach House Bar/Restaurant  (Read 8060 times)

Offline madmart

Re: Beach House Bar/Restaurant
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 16:06:39 PM »
Why are the same bars used every year for the auction?  I for one never attend as I think it so unfair that the others are not included.

Probably because some of the others aren't interested/can't be bothered/don't care/someone else is doing it it might go away.

Delete as applicable

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 17:30:04 PM »
It is purely logistics....this is where it works there best.... To be fare to the other bars and testsurants The 3cs hold different events in them... They also hold the Spring fair up the main drab to be fair to those bars too after there were complaints that everything takes place on the front.. They were then subjected to abuse from some of them weren't happy about that...Trust me they try to be fair to everyone..... To be perfectly honest some bars are more interested in their own profits than helping children.... I know of one instance where one bar owner wanted 200 lira to stage an event in his bar in the Winter.. AND keep all the profits from food and drink..The 3cs are damned if they do and damned if they don't.. I know this much that they are not in it to help the profits if the bars in Calis they are in it to help children who need all the help they can get and work bloody hard doing it... So carry on not going to the Auction. Because you dont think its fair.... The bars in Calis have made lots of money on the backs of their hard work...and I mean hard work...

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 17:35:19 PM »
Madmart I suggest that you go to a meeting of The 3cs with you suggestion of how it could all be changed after all The 3cs have only been running these events for 6 years what do they know? Fair to the other bars? Don't make me laugh.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 18:15:18 PM »
Why are the same bars used every year for the auction?  I for one never attend as I think it so unfair that the others are not included.

I can answer that :

1, The two bars in question have been massive supporters from day one, I stand to be corrected but probably about eight years ago and when first asked, nothing has been too much trouble. However:

2, With both the Auction and every other event including (Spring Fayre, Chritmas Fayre, Carnival etc.) we always have businesses that promise everything then deliver nothing, usually all that is being asked for is a bit of space outside their premises. We often come across a massive supporter next door to a business that says "don't you dare put that bunting up in front of my premises" it's noticeable that those same businesses NEVER EVER refuse customers attracted to their premises by the charity event.

3, We have businesses that close at the end of October and stay closed until May, yet still refuse that we use a bit of space in front of their premises.

4, We have businesses closed for the winter who tell the charity that it is fine to use the space in front of their premises in December, only, and after the table plan has been worked on for literally weeks and weeks, to be told on the morning of the the event "you can't have this space, there's going to be a lot of people here today"

5, We need a space where we can demonstrate and show items that feature in the auction. Azure properties provide that and are great supporters in not only allowing us use of their space but also providing the power for our event as well as the perfect auction plinth.

6, We need a space that if the weather turns rainy, we can use our Branda for the auction and keep our audience under cover if need be, our current location provides that.

7, We need a secure area (and we've had thefts in the past) to display the items to be auctioned, last year that was 180 items with items as large as bicycles. This year it's 200 items.

8, We need a place (again undercover) to locate our admin team who are rarely seen but have (in my opinion) the most intense job in trying to keep up with me on the auction mike while ensuring every single product bid for for is paid for and goes to the correct owner.

9, We need an area that not only delivers everything listed above but is also immensely accessible for our bidders and that we can pack the very maximum number of potential bidders in one place (providing for item 10)

10, Often in pitch black dark on the promenade, in fact, mostly in pitch black dark on the promenade, our bid spotters have to react within less than a second to bids signalled within a bar and get their bid registered back to me within that same second, their isn't an auction house in the UK, Christies included that has a wider area than we cover, and of course, they don't do it in the dark with 100s of people wandering between the bidders and the auctioneers team.

I, could go on, but too be honest, I'm getting bored now.

So please, Marills, if you can find a location that ticks all of the above and maybe more, please let me know. Otherwise please rethink your short sighted and ill informed comment

" I for one never attend as I think it so unfair that the others are not included. "

By the way. you might wish to comment on how the plethora of other events organised by the charities  during 12 months of the year that are unfair to the business owners who benefit from the thousands of extra people attracted to their location? I won't hold my breath !
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 19:54:09 PM by Rimms »

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 18:18:45 PM »
Put much better than I did George... I have calmed down now.... Thank you.....

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 18:42:05 PM »

4, We have businesses closed for the winter who tell the charity can use the space in front of their premises in December is fine, only, and after the table plan has been worked on for literally weeks and weeks, to be told on the morning of the the event "you can't have this space, there's going to be a lot of people here today"

You can't use the bit of space outside our restaurant for your Christmas fair, there's going to be a lot of people here today, because there's a Christmas fair.

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 18:59:09 PM »
Keith, you couldn't make it up! But I swear it happens with alarming regularity. However, as the ex FNWFLD (only veterans will get that) I'm now the voice of reason and have to say on balance that 80% of the business owners here (IMO) are absolute gems. What's the saying about the minority spoiling things for the majority?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 19:08:07 PM »
I don't doubt it. I recall arranging a charity night that filled a normally totally empty establishment. I assumed they would be over the moon and grateful forever for us getting people into their place, maybe some would like it and it could be the start of something.

Well, having it full for the first time ever was not quite enough, they upped all their drinks prices significantly to make hay while our sun was shining. I doubt anyone who was there for the first time ever saw a second time there.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 19:30:23 PM »
sadly keith that happens too often hence staying at the same bars for the charity events, a lot of these bars have no foresight, that is if they look after you, you come back but they live for today and take what they can on the night.

Offline mercury

• Turkey
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 19:31:56 PM »
Lost count of the number of bars that really want to help the charity in The Winter months...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf