Author Topic: It's a small world at times!  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Hamlet

It's a small world at times!
« on: June 21, 2014, 20:29:28 PM »
Since moving from Kent in the UK to Uzumlu here in Turkey over 4 years ago we have met and become good friends with so many people who mostly live in the village full time and a few that own holiday villas here.
So many of these people either lived or worked within a 15 mile radius of where we lived or where we ran our business from. But we had never met any of them before coming out here.
These instances run from one couple who lived a 10 minute walk from our High Street office & with their 2 daughters working for one of our competitors to another who ran an affiliated business 12 miles away with whom we had mutual contacts, I met him for the first time at Kaya Köy.

There are many other instances but the strangest one came this week.

There is a holiday villa 5 plots (300 metres) further along our track, the owners of which we have never met but this week I found out that the husband is a chap that was in my class through Secondary School and that I have not seen for almost 46 years!
Having now both looked at each other's current photos on FB, we could well have been in the same bar at the same time and not known.
I feel a reunion coming on this year!

Such a small world, 6 degrees of separation does exist in many forms I'm sure  :o

Offline Hamlet

Re: It's a small world at times!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
Following on from this:

Last evening we were on Calis promenade (very busy) when a couple on their first trip to Turkey asked me to photo them & the sunset.

Talking to them it turns out that he & his wife were born, respectively, in the same two adjoining towns that myself & the present Mrs Hamlet were born.
These areas form part of a five adjoined town authority of nearly 300,000 households.

He then went on to tell me that they now live in another of the towns, where we had our small business, of which he knew & he reeled off names of people & business I still have contact with.

Then came the part that really shocked me, his wife mentioned the name of her Uncle, who turns out to be a chap that in 1968 started in the same trade group of apprentices as me and we worked together in the Royal Navy Dockyard for the next 4 years. I last saw him in 1985, many years after the 'yard' had closed down.

Now I'm starting to worry about who will turn up next!  ???

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 17:43:34 PM »
I was brought-up in Maidstone. Lived there from 1956 - 1985. Spent a lot of times around the Medway Towns and Dad was stationed in the dockyard for a while during the late 40s.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 17:50:17 PM »
When we bought our place in Calis,  We met the people in the next Villa who came from Maghull, Liverpool. Where I came from  and it turned out the lady was born in the same road I had lived in and the couple now live in the next road.  The man sang in the choir of the church we got married in.    It certainly is a small world.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 18:00:34 PM »
Strangely enough I have never met anyone in Calis or the surrounding area that has any vague connection with me or mine,does that make me odd?

Offline BernieTeyze

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 18:28:57 PM »
Young lady and her husband in the next block to us in Ovacik was a school friend of my daughter's and used to visit our house quite a lot. It was another school friend in Birmingham that told us both. I wouldn't of recognised her from Adam 21 years later..remind me not rely on the witness protection programme next time. :-\ ;D

Offline hubblebubbles

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 19:04:19 PM »
The first New Year I moved here  and was out celebrating at the far end of Calis and got talking to people at the next table who lived here. Turned out I was their post lady for 13 years and could even describe their house even though I didn't recognise them. Did remember they never tipped me once in the 13 years though. Several years ago I was in a lift in a hotel in Tenerife when a man got in who was tattooed .I looked at the tattoos and told him he had them done in Boscombe by my brother as I recognised his work and I was right . He was amazed. Indeed a small world .More so as when I was selling up to move here from Hampshire  I advertised items for sale in a local newspaper. The lady who came to buy asked why I was selling such beautiful items so told her I was moving to Calis in Turkey. To our amazement she had just returned after  living here for the previous five years so needed to furnish a new home. Gave me lots of good tips etc.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:42:11 AM »
Hubblebubbles brother also did my tattoos nearly 40 years ago!   :)

Offline sadler

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 14:29:57 PM »
Surely Tinkerman your mother didn't get you tattooed while you were still a babe in nappies, you can't be much more than 40 and a few months old can you?   ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf