Author Topic: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: If We Could All Vote - Would the Scotland Vote Be As Close?
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:53 AM »
Scotland

Has it's own language
Has it's own currency
Has it's own parliament
Has it's own laws and legal system
Has it's own borders
Makes it's own decisions on big issues like University costs and prescription charges

Quite frankly, I'm struggling to see how independence is going to make any positive difference.

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
I remember our first meeting with Salmond and I did like him.  He seemed so kind and caring and assured us how much he wanted to help us and how he was going to act on our behalf.  He did nothing more than send us a letter and that was the end of it.  I soon realised that he is all talk and promises that come to nothing.

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 09:34:01 AM »
Well George, all you say is true. Its the numpties that can't see the wood for the trees, but believe me,the difference will be crippling IMHO. If poeple are lucky enough to have up to £80,000 in their banks, their money is protected if things go t1ts up. Accounts with higher savings in them, of which there are thousands and thousands, some have been emptied and deposited south of the border to protect their money just  to lessen the risk. This all has a knock on effect, as banks willl be less able to offer loans and mortgages etc to future borrowers. I have this information from 2 sources, working in 2 different banks. On a local level, we have the Trident submarine base right on my doorstep. Now you'd need to be an eejit to actually like nuclear weapons, but I dont want to be a sitting target when Salmond et al, gets rid of the weapons if they get the vote. I like to know we are protected. PLUS, it is a huge emloyer, not just locally but all over the West of Scotland on a daily basis, and Nationally, daily and weekly for Consultants and Contractors from all over the UK. This allows my town of Helensburgh to flourish, affording us bigger supermarkets, nice B&Bs for Contractors and visiting naval families, severall taxi companies, all of whom are busy, a sceond to none direct train service to Glasgo & Edinburgh, twice an hour, as well as a daily overnight service to. London. I am told that we only have a full time Fire station and crew, becase of the naval base. If all the people that would be moved away from the area, would leave us with a population that would only merit a retained service.If Salmond get rid of our base, then naval families will be moved back south, severly affecting all our local services, many of whom will without doubt, have to close. There's a saying here "We're all Jock Tamson's bairns", and that for me means all of us as a United Kingdom and I do not want that to change. So there you have it. All the changes will have a negative affect.  That's only the tip of the iceberg for me. Let me be clear also, unlike a lot of Yes voters, I actually DO respect others opinions.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
I think the Emperor Hadrian had the right idea.  ;)  :)  :)

Offline angieebabe

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »
At last some positive and open honest views on this subject without being bombarded with one way "Yes " voters self opinions and usually through social media websites and we all know which one that is .
Anyway my Family is Scottish and Proud of it  but we are part of the United Kingdom and hopefully always will be , A definite "No" voting Family.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
The CBF poll result (although not too scientific) does surprise me. I was expecting a huge Yes vote from English members wanting to cast Scotland adrift. As Scotland receives more from Westminster than it generates with oil tax revenues etc, it isn't based on economics, so it must be that the non-Scottish members of CBF love Scotland, and/or the UK as it is.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 12:14:18 PM »
The CBF poll result (although not too scientific) does surprise me. I was expecting a huge Yes vote from English members wanting to cast Scotland adrift. As Scotland receives more from Westminster than it generates with oil tax revenues etc, it isn't based on economics, so it must be that the non-Scottish members of CBF love Scotland, and/or the UK as it is.
For me Keith it is a case of "better the devil you know" and "why fix something that's not broken"

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »
I would urge everyone to watch this excellent summary from Scottish economist, Jim Swift

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB7XMxCkorI

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 13:26:53 PM »
If I lived in Scotland I would vote "Yes". It wouldn't take the crass stupidity and outright lying of the "No" campaign to persuade me to do so. Not would it take the fountain of talk from Salmond although he strikes me as the most skilled political operator the UK has seen since Wilson. But I don't live there so I don't has a vote; instead, as a Welshman born and living in England, I wish the Scottish all the best in the future whether they are independent or still under the oppression of Westminster and Whitehall.

Offline Rimms

• Prolific Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 13:52:06 PM »
To get a better perspective, I'd be interested to hear some of the lies put out by the no campaign. Could you enlighten me and also list who said it and when.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf