Author Topic: Wonderful Turkey  (Read 7422 times)

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
Re: Wonderful Turkey
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 16:44:58 PM »
as we all know the Media scaremongering will effect the visitors to Turkey

Just curious, what scaremongering has there been in the media? 

I know the Daily Mail is always anti Turkey and will print any old bollox if shows Turkey in a bad light, but it has been doing that for years.  The media coverage I've seen has generally been fairly well balanced, and a lot less biased than it could be.  Sometimes you have to accept that beyond a particular area (bubble?) there are bad things happening in a country.

JF

The Daily Express has run almost identical stories this year telling people not to come to Turkey this year because of terrorism....or go to Egypt...or Spain.... And I *mean* almost identical as in they are using the same base copy for each one.

Why? Because if they can scare people into staying at home in the UK rather than go abroad, their circulation figures don't drop as much over the holiday season. I'm not speculating here - a friend of mine on a national newsdesk has told me it is a deliberate ploy.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 16:50:09 PM »
Agreed Diane - not a joke at all. For your information this Kalkan link was posted on here about 10 days or so ago.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 18:22:35 PM »
as we all know the Media scaremongering will effect the visitors to Turkey

Just curious, what scaremongering has there been in the media? 

I know the Daily Mail is always anti Turkey and will print any old bollox if shows Turkey in a bad light, but it has been doing that for years.  The media coverage I've seen has generally been fairly well balanced, and a lot less biased than it could be.  Sometimes you have to accept that beyond a particular area (bubble?) there are bad things happening in a country.

JF

The Daily Express has run almost identical stories this year telling people not to come to Turkey this year because of terrorism....or go to Egypt...or Spain.... And I *mean* almost identical as in they are using the same base copy for each one.

Why? Because if they can scare people into staying at home in the UK rather than go abroad, their circulation figures don't drop as much over the holiday season. I'm not speculating here - a friend of mine on a national newsdesk has told me it is a deliberate ploy.

Ok, so what you are saying is that this is a plot by the newspaper industry to boost ailing circulation figures?  Seriously?

On the basis that you don't normally post rubbish, I just floated your theory past a News Editor of a national daily (mate of mine for 25yrs plus).  He liked it.  In fact, he liked it so much he's going to raise it at their editorial meeting in the morning.  Actually he didn't.  He laughed like a drain as I knew he would and suggested that too much Xmas spirit had been consumed by someone - or that someone was possibly being wound up (he used different words, newspaperly words that I can't remember  ;)). 

He's a good pal and I like to cheer him up with little nuggets like this.

Anyway, back to the original point.  The current advice from the FCO when travelling to Turkey is:

"There is a high threat from terrorism.  Attacks could be indiscriminate and could affect places visited by foreigners." 

While resorts like Kalkan, Fethiye, Calis etc are unlikely (at this time) to be the subjects of an attack, the threat is still there.  So you have to ask, are they scaremongering or are they simply regurgitating what the British government say?

Over the past year there is a lot that could have been published in respect of Turkey and its relationship with IS, but it hasn't been.  Will that change in the next few months...  who knows.   There is also a lot that could have been published relating to the number of folks killed by the Polis, by MiT and by "other forces" (to use an Erdoganism) - but it hasn't.

I stand by my original statement, recent coverage has been fairly well balanced - the sporadic sensationalist headlines and ill informed articles written about Turkey are nothing new, it's been that way for years. 

JF

Offline WordBird

• What's the worst that could happen?
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 21:19:39 PM »
No. I'm not saying it's a plot at all. How ridiculous.

Your national newspaper mate versus mine.
You clearly believe yours, as I do mine. Don't see why the 25 years plus is relevant, but for the record I've known mine for around the same length of time.

Anyway. As you say, back to the topic.

Offline JohnF

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 21:26:57 PM »
No. I'm not saying it's a plot at all. How ridiculous.

Plot, policy, connivance... whatever you want to call it, maybe you should reread your second paragraph.

Aye, anecdotal arguments with a big dod of hearsay thrown in. Magic  :)

JF

Offline sadler

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2015, 21:40:21 PM »
C'on folks, it's Christmas.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 22:13:17 PM »
Yep, we're only a day away from the celebration of one of the world's biggest conspiracy theories.

Offline sadler

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 22:32:14 PM »
So are you taking a holiday and relaxing KKOB? Or are you standing by your principles?  ???

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 22:35:16 PM »
Yep, we're only a day away from the celebration of one of the world's biggest conspiracy theories.

What conspiracy occurred on Christmas Eve then    ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 22:46:17 PM »
So are you taking a holiday and relaxing KKOB? Or are you standing by your principles?  ???

Principles have nothing to do with it, but as it happens, I'm working 12 hour shifts all through Christmas and the New Year.

Have a good 'un.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf