Author Topic: What3words  (Read 1157 times)

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
What3words
« on: February 22, 2016, 20:28:30 PM »
What3words has divided the entire globe into 57trillion 3m-squared boxes and given each location point a code or 'address' using three words from the English dictionary.

The w33 pin can be moved around Google Maps and will show the code for the precise point where the pin has been placed.

Alternatively, users can search the site for landmarks or addresses to find that location's code.

Or three random words can be entered, each separated by a full stop, to find a surprise location.

Once a location has been identified it can be shared by email, Facebook, Twitter or GPS systems.

According to what3words our front gate in Kaya is located in the square labelled belated.fairer.hence . Far easier to remember that GPS coordinates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3458234/The-Etonians-realised-three-words-pinpoint-planet.html

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
Re: What3words
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 20:34:12 PM »
You can also change the 3 words to a local language without changing the language of the rest of app. The following are currently available: Turkish, French German, Spanish, Italian. With more to follow soon.

Offline Stuart T

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 21:14:05 PM »
Just did it.

Good heavens.

......and it's global!

Most odd but I'm not sure how to take any advantage of it.

Perhaps I'm being obtuse?

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 23:04:40 PM »
It'll be handier once they get it properly set-up for directions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf