Author Topic: Where do we eat?  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Ally B

Where do we eat?
« on: April 14, 2019, 13:54:57 PM »
Mrs B and I were talking about our forthcoming holiday and places we like to eat and we seem to end up eating at places where we know the waiters and we feel slightly obligated to have a meal or two at the restaurant where they work..As we have been coming to Calis for over twenty years we know a fair amount of waiters." Wish they would stop moving around". We try every year to try ones we have not been to before but last years choices were not very good. I do wonder sometimes what it would be like to start off with a clean slate and not know anyone. Mind you if we are stuck in a rut it is a nice one as I cant remember the last time we had a bad meal at our regular haunts." Does any one else do like us or is it just us?

Offline Rana

• Newly Registered
Re: Where do we eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 15:09:16 PM »
Ally B yes we always seem to go to Meeting point or Gunlusik (think that's the name) been to Bella Mamas once and Curry Palace (upstairs Indian) wouldn't go back to Indian but will try the other one on the sea front. Think there's nothing worse than looking forward to a meal then being disappointed so I know what to expect from my regular ones. Would like to try new ones upon a few recommendations and as we are a few minutes walk from Babzen kebab that's on my list for August.   :)

Offline Steve A

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 16:17:27 PM »
Yeah we tend to do the same but made a conscious effort to try other places last year .So it was the first time eating at Guvens,Obens,Lukka,Bambu,Babzen and Dunya.Enjoyed them all but we still did Gunisik,Charcoal Palace,Sarges and Aydin Pide.

Offline Christie

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 16:51:21 PM »
We rend to stick with the ones we know and like, top of the list is Bella mama,  then Georges, CB Indian, Meeting Point,  we tried Babzen kebab last year and will probably try again his year, Obens seems to be one to try as well.  We enjoyed our meals at Shaghai Blues last year but that has now gone. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 17:25:33 PM »
We do similar, although it is quite difficult to follow waiters around - because obviously they may move but not necessarily to a place of same standard/quality as the place we know them from. I don't feel obliged to do it though, if anything it just gives us an extra reason to try a place. Been disappointed a couple of times using this method and slowly trying to stop doing it   :)

I hate talking myself out of going to our "usual suspects" to try a new place, only to be disappointed. I am just as bad at one of our favourite restaurants when for some reason I decide to try something different from my "usual"  - and being disappointed - and wishing I'd just stuck with what I know and love.

My "cast in stone" Turkish choices are:

Pide at Pasha Kebap
Swedish steak at Bella Mammas (sensational)
Iskender Kebap at Sahil Lokantasi
T bone at Mancero

The bottom line in all this for me is that you have a lot of experience and knowledge of the area (as all repeat holidaymakers do) and only have a specific number of meals during your holiday - so if you got a duff one, it's your fault :D

Offline Wasp0

• It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 17:30:57 PM »
Be polite to the waiters you know, expressing your desire to try other restaurants. It's YOUR holiday and you pays the money. I tend to sometimes throw it back at the waiter when he 'Badgers' us to come on in and eat, 'I will if you offer me a discount, like i have been offered at*********' (Insert Restaurant name) !

End of the day if don't try other Restaurants you will never know if they are good or not.

Offline Steve A

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 19:53:43 PM »
Most of the waiters and staff that I know understand you are on holiday and are not offended if you try elsewhere and are more than happy to see you you when you decide to eat in their place.Some of the guys we know even recommend other places or are keen to know what other places were like.

Offline cassie5

• Newly Registered
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 13:59:39 PM »

This will be our first holiday to the calis/fethiye area 4th time in turkey,ovacik last august for 2 weeks and marmaris twice in the 2000s we are all inclusive this year as we were last year and self catering the twice we were in marmaris and honestly cant remember ever having a bad meal eating out we might have been just lucky in our choices but we have always check online before we go on holiday at recommended places to eat or even accomodation take notes and as i say it has worked for us especially if its a place we are visiting for the first time just because a place has had excellent reviews one year it does not mean the standards are the same this year.

Offline LEES

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 20:14:33 PM »
Secret Garden never disappoints

Offline Andy W

• Newly Registered
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 21:48:58 PM »
We have been like most posting sticking to the tried and tested restaurants. For the first time last August we went to Georges. He'd been badgering us in June to have a meal, wish we had as the food there is excellent.
On another note regarding waiters moving around, we had befriended a waiter from a said restaurant / hotel he moved to a new restaurant last year and was most aggrieved when we didn't have our last night's meal at his new restaurant to the point where he blanked both my wife and I when we went to say goodbye on the day of our departure. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf