Author Topic: New Member  (Read 1599 times)

Offline ewarts

« on: September 23, 2005, 22:20:46 PM »
Hi Folks you sound like a great bunch of people. Myself and husband are from near Edinburgh and are coming to turkey in October to look around at property in calas beach and surrounding area. We have been to Turkey twice before on a package holiday over in Marmaris and loved it both times the people are so friendly. Anyone give me a few do's and don'ts from experience as i'm a bit worried about taking the big step. :)      from Shone and Jim

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 22:37:18 PM »
Hi Shone and Jim, welcome to the forum.

There is a lot of info on buying in Turkey and I'm sure you will get much advice from members. My advice is very simple:

Have an idea what type of property you want and where you want to be (quiet areas or busy etc)

Have a budget and stick to it. Remember you will have costs on top such as the 3% agency fee (money well spent believe me), cost of deeds etc etc.

Go to view with more than one agency. There are many to choose from and I'm sure you will be able to sift out the bad ones if you do a little searching on here.

Tell the agent what you want and what you can afford. Be polite but firm if they start showing you properties that don't fit your criteria - you cannot afford to waste your time.

Good luck with the search.

Stoop

Offline ewarts

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 22:57:37 PM »
Thanks for that stoop good info.Will have a better look at the forum tomorrow when Iv'e more time and find out how it all works.Hope to catch up with you all some time soon.  thanks shone

Offline Anne

• A Barmaid, From Hell
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 00:46:02 AM »
Hiya
Welcome to the forum.
You'll find lots of useful info here, take your time and read as much as possible.  There's a search facility at the top of the page to help in your quest.
Good luck
Anne

Offline canalman

• Aged Headbanger
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 06:02:38 AM »
Hi Shone and Jim, welcom to the forum and good luck with your search for a place in Calis.
Pete and Sue

Offline badger

• One of Scunner's best mates
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 09:01:52 AM »
Hi Shone&Jim
             Stoop is spot on with his advice.We went to chalis in june with four agents as possibles and soon had some idea who we would trust with our pending purchase of our holiday home.As you say Jim it is a big step and we did have a few doubts but there are lots of members on the forum who will reassure you.We ended up buying in gunlukbasi an apt which should be ready next june hopefully. Good luck

Badger   (and good luck to the jam tarts today unless you follow Hibs)

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 14:29:47 PM »
hi shone and jim good luck in your search and welcome to the forum we have a place in catalarik which was a bargain when we bought last year, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and double glazed with garden and pool on a complex, just 15 mins from calis and 15 mins to fethiye nice and quiet and near enough to get to the night life

Offline lolly

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 12:18:49 PM »
Hi shone and jim welcome to the forum. You won't go far wrong if you take the advice of forum members. Good luck with your search.

Lolly x

Offline number2

• More than just a member
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 12:48:36 PM »
Hi Shone & Jim, Have you been to Calis before, cos it's quieter than Marmaris, it's more like Icmeler, i've been Icmeler, but i never felt at home til i found Calis, bought an appartment 3yrs ago, now i feel more at home 6wks a year than i do in england for the other 46wks. Alan, by the way welcome to the forum

Offline Twin Bee

• The Artist Formerly Known As
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2005, 13:41:50 PM »
Welcome. I can understand your feelings but people are right when they say no need to worry too much. The system is quite reliable but you should still think carefuly at every stage.
I would suggest you contact at least 3 agents and you will get a feel of which ones you like the best. You may like all three and then it is a matter of choosing the prefered property. It is quite likely they all will offer something to suite. I agree about 'careful budgeting' but you might find it helpful to ask to see a property say £5000 outside your range. This way you will find out what the extra buys. It can make quite a difference and you won't be the first person who somehow finds that little extra. We did!
I suggest you allow at least 10% for addtional costs for the agents fees and various taxes and other bits and bobs, and another 5% for furnishing.
Best of luck
STUART

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf