Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 20858 times)

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 12:43:59 PM »
for cement don't they need chalk? by the mega ton, not sure if the hills/ mountains in that part are chalk.if its concrete factory the truck movements will be a major factor, If my memory serves me well last year the road was blocked for sometime due to landfall.

Offline Strawberry

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2007, 13:12:27 PM »
Hi,

I'm a new member and have only just discovered this website.  I can't say how devastated I am to hear that there may be a cement factory built in Uzumlu!  I am coming over in the next week or so, mainly to look at a villa for sale there.

I know Turkey well; I have a small place in Ovacik and have stayed out there for months at a time.  But I really fell in love with Uzumlu last winter when I saw it for the first time, and decided I wanted a place there. It is just so beautiful.

I'm in a quandry what to do now.  I don't want to lose the villa I have my heart set on, but I don't want to buy it if the cement factory gets the go-ahead!

Does anyone know when a definite decision will be made?

Regards,

Strawberry

Offline Eric

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2007, 13:26:30 PM »
Hi c1,
No there is neither chalk or gypsum in the hills, the two commodities required to make cement.  These will all have to be brought in from elsewhere by road.  This is a proposed Cement factory not a concrete factory, the cement factory being the worst for pollution and impact on the environment.

Strawberry, The owners of the site state that they will start building in 2 years time with production starting in 5 years time, if they get permission.  There is a big if now as the protest is gathering speed.  Fi has put links to various local newspaper articles on this forum, please check them out and sign the petition.  As Fi has stated, we have been told that this IS stoppable.
It might be an idea to let your estate agent / builder know of your concerns, it could affect his business, as the more influential Turkish people we have on board the better. He can contact Fi if needed my email is on www.fethiyetimes.com in the most recent article.
I can sympathize with your quandary as it is a beautiful place to live hence the protest which is gaining momentum as we chat.

Eric & Fi
PS Strawberry it might be an idea to introduce yourself via member introductions the norm before posting on a subject.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 13:43:14 PM by Eric »

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2007, 19:03:32 PM »
Strawberry, I expect will be the first of many, to not now buy in Uzumlu because of this issue, further depressing an already depressed local housing market. This brings me back to the point I first started with - the Turks need to grip this as it is they who will suffer most by this on going saga - loss of jobs accross the board as the housing market stalls.I fully accept that we can do our bit but in my view Turks will only take notice of other Turks.
I wonder what the view of the local Uzumlu 'big wigs' at the Belidyre is on this matter? They either support the local house building industry and the enormous financial benefits it brings to the local Turkish community or they support the factory. The building of the latter in all likelihood will destroy  he former.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2007, 20:51:20 PM »
Chris

Your generalistic views on who "the Turks" will or won't listen to are mildly racist to say the least. I have found the Turkish generally very receptive to the ideas of others.

Now

Do you seriously think that your choice (house building) has "enormous benefits", while a factory, with the long term employment that would bring to the area (for local people who have a home and would never achieve one of the big 4 bed detached villas you are worried about) will result in "loss of jobs across the board"?

Not a beautiful sight, and I'm not a fan of it, but to me, your attitude is totally "nimby".

Offline puma

• Prolific Member
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2007, 22:54:39 PM »
hi and welcome strawberry have you made an intro in the members section

Offline sominekebap

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eric

For all of you who wish to support the protest I have created an online petition you can sign.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Uzumlu/

Thanks
Fi

Eric, I am pleased to sign this petition and support your efforts to have this development stopped. We will be happy to contribute a prize in your forthcoming raffle. Good luck

Offline Strawberry

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the extra info.  I am still coming out to Turkey anyway, and will go and look at the villa in Uzumlu, but I have pretty much shelved the idea of buying there until I know what the future holds with regards the cement factory.

I have informed the estate agent about my concerns -  he claimed not have heard anything about it - and he is in Fethiye! Anyhow, I gave him this website's address, and also told him to look in the Land of Lights newspaper. I'm sure he did know about it really; which has rather made me wary buying any place from him - in ANY area!

I shall definitely be signing the petition, but are there any other ways or means with which to bring this to the publics attention? Maybe the national press would cover the story? Local politicians? Besides spoiling a part of the world which should have some kind of protection order on it (like the Blue Lagoon) its an environmental disaster too!  Would it be worth contacting the Environmental Minister in Turkey, too?

Puma,

Hi, I'm just off to post on the introduction board. I've done it back to front! Pardon me.

Strawberry

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
if the new company has to ship in, the raw material and hasn't got access to cheap power, and good road infrastructure etc I can't understand the business model the owners are applying, make no sense to me, apart from the destruction of outstanding natural beauty, I have noticed that some trucks have tipped waste (building waste etc) in to the valleys on the way up to the village.what effect would this has on the water source, maybe the pollution element could persuade water company onside, sorry if you guys have already thought of this, the best of luck in your endeavours

Offline ted molloy

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2007, 15:16:54 PM »
I find it quite bizarre that anyone would want to even think about putting a cement factory in such a beautiful area,
One can only assume the the company concerned think they have identified a potential market for their product in the area with all the development that is taking place in and around Uzumlu but surely by putting this factory in the area they are potentially killing the goose that lays the golden egg .
Already this is a big put off to anyone thinking of purchasing in the area.
I think the local planners(if there is such a body) have been very short sighted in the development format for the Uzumlu area and should have designated the whole area as a national park and an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Good luck to all who are fighting this I for one will gladly sign the petition.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf