Author Topic: Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu  (Read 21241 times)

Offline Strawberry

« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
I received an email from an estate agent who have properties for sale in Uzumlu...........and they said the cement factory will not be built in Uzumlu; it will be built 10 kilometres away. Is this false information they've given me, do you think?  Or have they just got it wrong?

I thought the cement factory was going to be built in the valley?

Strawberry

Offline Firo

Proposed Cement Factory in Uzumlu
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2007, 08:13:05 AM »
Strawberry,

I think they are trying to mislead you.  The Cement Factory is proposed to be built on the site of the Koru Koy quarry which is in the Uzumlu valley.  The site can be seen from most parts of the valley and the pollution will, potentially, cover an area up to 40 kilometers around the site.  The estate agent is probably correct in that Koru Koy is 10km by road (less as the crow flies) from the centre of Uzumlu (6 miles)but it is in the heart of this beautiful valley so Koru Koy, Incikoy, Uzumlu, Cadianda, Niff etc etc etc will be affected by it, not forgetting the dozens of lorries that will be trundling through the valley 24 hrs a day providing the raw materials and taking away the finished produce.
A question not answered yet is where are they going to dump the waste products?
To sum up, they are playing with distances and trying to mislead you, an area 40 kilometers around the factory could be affected.  Plus, most of the houses we have seen for sale in Uzumlu have an uninterrupted view of the site.
Best option come and have a look for yourself and then you can make an informed decision.

Hope this helps.

Eric and Fi
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:20:22 AM by Firo »

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #82 on: August 26, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
I took some pictures from my friend's garden last summer. On the first one you can see the quarry in the distance. I've zoomed in a little on the second one. As you can see - if the cement factory goes on that site it will affect the whole of the Uzumlu plain.

Good luck fighting this. I hope you get it stopped.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 20:04:55 PM by stoop »

Offline Firo

« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2007, 12:08:28 PM »
Thanks for the pics Stoop, I think it shows better the location than the written word - "A picture paints a thousand words"

Eric & Fi

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2007, 17:59:47 PM »
Dear Susan, in reply to your post of 20 Aug, I too am sometimes amazed that I am living in Turkey!
I see from Strawberry's post of 26 Aug his Estate Agents have denied the factory will be in Uzumlu. Firo calls this 'misleading', I call it lieing.
The property market in Uk is a million miles different from here. We are all sitting on properties worth well under what we paid and falling in value by the month. According to the press last week property in Uk will rise by 40% in the next 5 years.
I certainly am not sticking my head in the sand but I am not prepared to get too excited by something that may never happen and that we, as Brits, have no control over.
I am neither being positive or negative, just realistic.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2007, 18:06:14 PM »
I don't know who Stoop is ( why do people hide behind pseudonyms?)but the photos have been taken from our best friends' garden and they are presently in UK.I hope s/he had the courtesy to ask them if it would be ok to publish them on the web?.

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2007, 18:40:07 PM »
Chris - they are my photos so I can actually put them where I like. As for them being taken from your best friends garden - is that really a problem? I'm trying to help people get a feel for where the proposed factory is going to be.

I've actually put a post on the forum (at their request)showing their house for sale .. and yes they are in the UK and were round at our house having a barbecue last week when I actually informed them of this project.

Also if you want to know who I am (I do not hide behind 'Stoop' it's actually my nickname)then just click on my profile.

Offline chris tippett

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2007, 19:46:46 PM »
Stoop, thanks for this. Just looking out for my friends as I am not sure I would want pictures of my property on the web without permission, whoever owns the pics.Chris

Offline busybee

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2007, 20:04:32 PM »
I do not live in Uzumla but I think the whole cement factory proposal is outrageous.  Would like to say that Eric and Fi's commitment to preventing its go ahead and informing folk is outstanding. Keep motivated we are all behind you. Does anyone know of the long term health effects of the white dust?

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2007, 20:04:34 PM »
Chris - I'm not going to argue over this as it is going off topic. If you look at the pictures you will see very little evidence of who's property this is taken from. However to be fair I have decided to delete the first picture. The others could have been taken from anywhere along that road.

Stu

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf