Author Topic: Hardtalk - Mehmet Simsek - Finance Minister  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Ian

• Loveable Northern Gentleman
  • Prolific Member
  • Getting Younger by the Day the Longer We Stay :-)
Hardtalk - Mehmet Simsek - Finance Minister
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:08:18 AM »
Just watcheed this chap - Turkish Finance Minister interviewed on BBC World News (it is repeated here in Turkey again at 6.30pm) and what a very impressive chap he was! Very frank, came over really well.

His bottom line was "in 10 years Turkey will be a full member of the EU" as the EU will see Turkey's growing economic and political influence in the region as an asset they need to have to maintain their own influence and importance in the world.

He also said "we will not sit around and wait for the EU to continue to develop our economic and political influence in our neighbourhood (own backyard) as it is in our interests to try and make our own neighbourhood more stable than it currently is"

He also referred to a recent study by Goldmans that said that Turkey would become the 3rd most important economy across the European markets (second to Russia) within 5 years - and recent growth rates would seem to support that.

You could not but be impressed.

For property owners over here maybe - just maybe some of our lifetsyle investments could also become a good economic investment over the next 10 years???

Ian

Offline brianthegardener

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 16:44:22 PM »
Ian...if Turkiye makes it into the EU in the next ten years or twenty for that matter...i will show my A**SE on Calis sea front...there is more chance of ME winning the UK lottery, i dont do it either...the " run of the mill Turk" doesnt want to go into Europe either... the Goverment can see the future in Europe but no other Turk can...maybe im wrong...we will see.

Offline cheers

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 17:58:10 PM »
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 18:13:01 PM »
Brian - did you watch the programme - his confidence and arguments were extremely well made.

I would have agreed with you before this last 24 months but we are beginning to see a much, much more confident, prosperous Turkey who wield more influence and power than ever before.

Who would have thought that until recently Turkey would have become Israel's biggest "friend" in the region - albeit with some American influence - we shouldn't underestimate that they want Turkey in the EU as well.

Change happens - the axis is moving East and Europe will be left behind if it does not embrace change.

If we take on some of the Balkan basket cases than I see no reason why Turkey should not be welcomed with it's prosperous economic future and political influence in the Islamic world

There is going to be a "new world order" - it is very clear.

Who knows - but what I do know is a crippled / bankrupt Turkey had no chance but that is no longer the case.

Ps "the run of the mill Turk" doesnt want to go into Europe either
Neither did the run of the mill Mancunian or Liverpudlian for that matter - do you really believe that means anything! :D:D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 18:16:27 PM by Ian »

Offline col

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 19:14:50 PM »
I hope the same and yet to speak a Turk who wants to join the EU.
For many of us who have property here, or moved here, or just for a holiday, one of the reasons is because Turkey is not governed and have some ridiculous rules & regulations etc put upon them by Brussels. Of course there would be advantages, work and loss of costly residents visa to name two, but I would rather Turkey keep out and keep the country as most of us like it.

quote:
Originally posted by brianthegardener

Ian...if Turkiye makes it into the EU in the next ten years or twenty for that matter...i will show my A**SE on Calis sea front...there is more chance of ME winning the UK lottery, i dont do it either...the " run of the mill Turk" doesnt want to go into Europe either... the Goverment can see the future in Europe but no other Turk can...maybe im wrong...we will see.

Offline Ian

• Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 19:30:40 PM »
Col - hi - I tend to agree with you - like you - not sure if the benefits outweigh the negatives. - also not sure if it will ever happen as like most others my instinct says the Germans, Austrians and French will never let it happen but................

As much as we hear dark things about the ruling party - the more I see of them and the more I watch how they have managed their regional policies and their economy and some other things - the more impressive they look!!

Lets be honest before 2004/5 the country was a bit of a joke to most people with one coup after another over the previous 30 years but in just 5 years the political standing of Turkey has moved massively - someone deserves the credit for that - what will they achieve in another 10 years????

Just look at Greece and the problems they have and see Turkey moving way past them and a real influence on the world stage.

Ian

Offline apollo

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 19:40:15 PM »
I thought that it was a very good interview Mehmet Simsek made some very good and valid points. Especially when he spoke about past governments and Turkey has always said yes to USA and NATO. But now the country wants to be more active internationally and do what he believes is right for the country.

It is in Turkey's interest to embrace both Europe and The Middle East.  

« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 19:43:48 PM by apollo »

Offline Firo

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 19:57:30 PM »
Quote Ian
"Who would have thought that until recently Turkey would have become Israel's biggest "friend" in the region "-

That's why Turkey has today stated that if Israel doesn't apologise for the killing of 9 Turkish citizens whilst boarding a relief ship, they will cut diplomatic ties with Israel...

They will not get into the EU in 10 years or 20 years IMO....They very easily chop and change their minds as the above threat shows.

Offline col

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 20:29:04 PM »

Yes, I think much the same re: benefits and negatives and the Gertmans, Austrians and French, and two of them will always have a BIG say on EU policy and changes.
Last year I remember quite a few Turkish friends here, and some English who were expecting another coup and wanted one. Despite the govt here seeming to manage the economy well, amongst other issues, there is still that feeling amongst, can we say.....the more modern and liberal Turk,who are not over keen on how they see the Turkish army losing some of their influence, as i am led to believe from some Turkish friends.
So maybe there will still be some more 'turbalent' times ahead!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Col - hi - I tend to agree with you - like you - not sure if the benefits outweigh the negatives. - also not sure if it will ever happen as like most others my instinct says the Germans, Austrians and French will never let it happen but................

As much as we hear dark things about the ruling party - the more I see of them and the more I watch how they have managed their regional policies and their economy and some other things - the more impressive they look!!

Lets be honest before 2004/5 the country was a bit of a joke to most people with one coup after another over the previous 30 years but in just 5 years the political standing of Turkey has moved massively - someone deserves the credit for that - what will they achieve in another 10 years????

Just look at Greece and the problems they have and see Turkey moving way past them and a real influence on the world stage.

Ian

Offline c1

• Northampton, UK
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
Turkey will enter EU, although not sure what shape EU will be in as Euro will come under more pressuer over next 18months.Benefits for the turks would be opening up of the EU markets more employment for the young population,as I think china will  face strong competition from turks and eastern europe if and when they get their act together. Turkey has been the gate way to the East for 1000s of years for goods etc and maybe seen a a moderator and influence for the good in the region as a whole, hopefully they will not forget their founding father's veiws.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf