Author Topic: too long!  (Read 10359 times)

Offline june

too long!
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 19:01:30 PM »
I would have loved eye contact with the owner...believe me....
The only problem is a lot of the time it falls on deaf ears....shame but there you go....there are lots of other very good places and so its not the end of the world.

Offline maximumtom

too long!
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 19:55:27 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Scunner

If I tell the police when asked that I saw someone last night but didn't tell them the "fuller picture" that when I saw him I killed him, then I believe I would have lied to the police.

Furthermore the alternative you put forward is that the reason wasn't given to the customer but was to another entirely unrelated couple? Is that the way things are communicated these days?

I'm really not interested in fact. The service I received at Bostans was poor and moreover dishonest. Whether there is more to the story of someone else's experience won't have any bearing on my experience.

In courts in the Uk people are sworn in to tell " the Truth the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth" . People do not lie if they tell the truth. This is why the law requires them to tell the whole truth. However, the point I raised was about your logic not about what you consider constitutes lying, although what you consider to by lying would affect your opininion on this. However, I would be interested to hear of those on the forum who whould agree with your logic.
Also, I did not put forward an 'alternative' as you put it.  I gave a simple example (and did not spell it out in words of one syllable) of how the second person might have been aware of something that the first person was not and that this did not constitute calling the first person a liar. This was nothing to do with the actual situation but was hypothetical to show the fallacy in your logic.

As for your comment "I'm really not interested in fact", what can I say ?
I am afraid that this has gone off topic but I thought that you were mistaken in accusing AB&A of calling anyone a lier.
Oh dear, there go all my brownie points :(

Offline sting

too long!
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 20:17:00 PM »
It was nice and tender tho !

Offline Anita Brian and Aslan

too long!
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 20:18:07 PM »
A moderator that i`snt really interested. Lol

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 20:21:22 PM »
My point is that if there is more to the story than the original poster told us, tell us what it is. We can all use the "I've heard things about XXX but I can't say" rot, it is the root of a lot of bad over there. You can say whatever you like on CBF as long as you back it up with facts. Put up or shut up. Simple.

For maximumtom let me clarify one thing. I did not say he called someone a liar. I said (quote) "because you liked it doesn't make others liars". The meaning of that quote is that this guy may be right in his view and at the same time others can have an opposing view which is also right in their experience. If I say "Maximumtom irons his socks but that doesn't make those who don't idiots" did I accuse maximumtom of saying that people who don't iron their socks are idiots? Nonsense I'm afraid Tom.

Can we get back to taking the p1ss out of Lance now

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2010, 20:26:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Anita Brian and Aslan

A moderator that i`snt really interested. Lol

A new member with 5 posts, all about their mate's restaurant Bostans - all serving to bring in even more complaints about the place. Well done, he'll be proud of you!!!

And I am not a moderator or interested. Take your moaning elsewhere now.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 20:41:48 PM »
Just for information, here is a brief resume of views that oppose yours about how wonderful Bostans is:

suzi Q: "then we waited for second course after 50 mins ask the waiter was it likely to be much longer he just laughed and walked off. After getting the attention of another waiter we asked again he said 5 mins, after another 15mins and getting rather past eating the meal it arrived! As soon as it came up we requested the bill then paid for it and left without eating".

freddoc: "we did wait an hour for a pancake. The waitors kept saying 5 minutes, but eventually said sorry no pancake. ~ I got the feeling that the chef had left for the night, they should have just said so, would have been fine with that.".

bee: "the place wasnt full and there were at least 5 waiters on, we sat there for 15 minutes without anyone coming over to us, I put my hand up to get attention, one of the waiters nodded but didnt come over, after another 10 minutes we stood up and left, then 2 waiters quickly came after us, I just said forget it, and they put their hands up in the air wondering what they had done wronge, its laughable really".

sting: "Food was Ottoman and for my wife spagetti bolongnase,after she had finished her's and I was still waiting finally gave up and walked away !!My wife paid for all and left to meet me at Bustop".

But you like it - I do get it! You are allowed to like it and you are even allowed to freely (at my expense) tell everyone you liked it. I only took the comments from this topic, I could add many more negative ones if I could be bothered to invest the time, which I can't. Once again, my point is that you have dug up an old topic that is negative about Bostans to tell everyone that you think it is great. I think if I owned Bostans I'd have preferred you to leave this topic buried and start a new one. But it's entirely up to you!

Offline Anita Brian and Aslan

too long!
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2010, 20:47:23 PM »
Quite true June, I just thnk that someone saying it`s not very good(did`nt type wot I was thinkng). does`nt mean that the place is  bad, and maybe you got it on a bad day, it is easy to say  a place is c**p , but on the whole you have got be able to say . OK, i`ve eaten there before and it was OK. If you have a good experience  precious little is said on here, but to say you have had a bad experience has much more impact, that was my point Are there people who have eaten at various places and had a good night, only to get on here and say "it was s**t on saturdsy". That is what people see and take in. The thing is, people go where they like to go, and as i said before, people have a soft spot for places, it`s not wrong, it`s human nature. By the same token , people have an aversion to places they might have had a bad experience, but that does`nt make the place a bad place, I have the good grace to say ok, we can put it down to a bad night and move on, but if you never go back because of it, then you never know if there is a good night. Live dangerous, risk a bit of upset in your life. (without trying to sound flippant, if it does, I apologise before  I get hung on a yardarm by the chairman)
If I have offended anyone with what I have said, then I apologise without reservation, but this forum has an influence, and the hoteliers in Calis cannot respond without seeming sycophantic. Criticism should be constructive without beind Destructive

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
too long!
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2010, 21:06:48 PM »
You don't give people the credit they deserve for having their own minds. You think this forum is destructively influential whereas it is constructively influential. Jeremy Clarkson's choice of worst car of the year consistently went on to become a huge seller, year after year. Nobody has a bigger chance to try to influence sales than he does in that industry. I have never read a bad review on CBF and avoided a place because of it.

What I object to is being told that people should tell the staff or owners, not a public forum. It is the right of everyone to tell whoever they choose to. If the review is less than positive, the owners and staff should read it too and learn from it. They open their doors and do all they can to get people in - and who is paying any attention to the ones walking out? Or the ones that pay and never come back? It isn't getting business that's hard, it's keeping it that's the difficult skill.

It doesn't matter how many fans of a place I think let me down turn up here out of the blue and tell me how great it is, and how wrong I am, it will only serve to make me stick to my opinion all the more.

Owners are welcome to respond and often do. It is generally well received here too. But far better is to learn from what they read and make it constructive for them too.

Offline bee

• Droylsden, Manchester, UK
too long!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 21:46:58 PM »
I've said it before and i'l say it again, really there is no place for restaurants that have "bad days" whats that all about!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf