Author Topic: my vist this time to calis *moan.  (Read 21620 times)

Offline siemli

my vist this time to calis *moan.
« on: April 27, 2011, 17:20:50 PM »
[size=1]As some of you know we have a house in calis and return there probably 3-4 times  a year
However on my visit this time I noticed the severe lack of families visiting calis?

I have noticed a over take in British people living in calis (of the retired generation) and wondered if the negativity given of by some of them has reflected on the diversity of people coming back?
I have been coming to calis for probably 7 years, my husband 14 and I have never seen the behaviour demonstrated this time by ex pats..
My overall view on what I saw this time was rudeness and cockiness..
The ex pats I saw ordered drinks in English despite bragging to the waiter ‘'I live ere luv have done for years. (How hard is it to say iki bira lutfen'?- especially if you have lived in the community for years?)
everywhere I turned I heard '' no thanks not today I live here'' as people strolled past restaurants..
We have made a huge effort to learn bits of the language so why if you are privileged enough to live in such a beautiful country, you don't even bother to order a drink or say hello in their language-it really is ignorant.

We went to the opening night of the Indian restaurant (the name slips past me -Bombay ?)--I was standing in the line for the buffet in a summer dress (it was still 40+) when the lady in front of me said to her friend ‘'look at the state of that''(pointing to a lady wearing a vest top and cotton trousers) ‘'what does she look like what a state in this weather-its freezing and she walks around like that'-turns to me -‘'are you not cold wearing that?-I live ere and I am bloody freezing I don't know how you tourists do it''-to which I replied ‘that we are not acclimatised as you to the lovely weather' she then turned and continued to single out other  tourists wearing summer clothes.

The retired generation have appeared to have taken over calis which I thought was a family area?-the restaurant on the prom had advertised an eater egg hunt and fun evening , we later found out it was cancelled due to the ‘people' complaining that they was only interested In the music -and the fact there was no children this year.
 What does that say?
We will continue to visit our second home in calis with our family and will continue to make an effort with our Turkish language and use our manners.
 it's a great  shame the majority of residents  of calis cant.

dont get me wrong before you all start  8) -We have lovely neighbours in calis and have many other British friends living in turkey who make a real effort in the community -and with the culture, but sadly I feel the ‘family feel' of calis this year was gone..:([?]
am I wrong?
[/size=1]
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 20:20:28 PM by siemli »

Offline dycedon

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 17:30:04 PM »
i like that

Offline Robw

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 17:35:27 PM »

It`s only April[?]

Offline Eric

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 17:58:51 PM »
Totally agree with your sentiments

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 18:11:04 PM »
I've said it so many times, there is a level of expat society there that is obsessed by everyone else's lives and movements. It takes over their entire personality and entire life. What you wear, drive, drink, who you are seen with, who you aren't seen with, anything and everything is fair game. They will discuss anyone at all with anyone at all, even with complete and absolute strangers. They are your enemies, they are people you thought might be your friends and they are people you have never spoken to in your entire life, but they are an authority on the subject of you.

Even your closest 'friends' are often unlike the friends you had in the UK - I recall two couples having a meal together, both enjoying the company of the other pair and sharing a lovely Turkish evening. Much affection shown when one couple eventually called it a night. Then before they were entirely out of sight, the wife of the remaining couple was telling staff "see her, she drinks her Bacardi at home but when she's out she'll only pay for Efes"...

When you live there, your private life is, sadly, stolen and pulled apart by these people. They don't have to know you at all - it's a cliche but what they don't know they make up. When you confront them about it, they blame someone else. Normally one of their friends.

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 18:21:38 PM »
As "two week wonders" I can say that we haven't noticed the expat community much. Don't know why.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 18:27:19 PM by Highlander »

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 18:22:36 PM »
"We will continue to visit our second home in calis with our family and will continue to make an effort with our Turkish language and use our manners.
it's a great shame the majority of residents of calis cant"

I agree with a lot of what you say but you are wrong to say the majority cant, we can and do, as do many of our friends, to coin a phrase you must have met what are commonly known as expat knobheads, but I can assure you they are in the minority.
mark

Offline Eric

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 18:23:17 PM »
Totally agree with that too Keith  ;)

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 18:23:25 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Highlander

I cannot say that as "two week wonders" we haven't noticed the expat community much. Don't know why.

You aren't there for the April procession of cheap and cheerful offerings on opening nights, and you don't choose where you go while on holiday based on how much an Efes is. Now you do know why :D

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 18:26:29 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by karaokemark

I agree with a lot of what you say but you are wrong to say the majority cant, we can and do, as do many of our friends, to coin a phrase you must have met what are commonly known as expat knobheads, but I can assure you they are in the minority.
mark

Agree there too Mark but at times it can feel like it is a majority. It's because you only see the ones that are out moaning, because you don't see the ones (the majority) that are having another quiet night in  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf