Author Topic: How to kill a resort in one easy mistake  (Read 21342 times)

Offline bewva

• Prolific Member
How to kill a resort in one easy mistake
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 08:59:42 AM »
The problem is its difficult to choose something else when they charge 6 - 7 TL for a large coke which to me is a bigger rip off.

Offline philrose

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2012, 09:14:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bewva

The problem is its difficult to choose something else when they charge 6 - 7 TL for a large coke which to me is a bigger rip off.

Good point that. No one seems to notice the extortionate price of soft drinks. There are some places on the front that charge 2 lira for a small bottle of water or soda and thats something like a 500% mark up!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:16:46 AM by philrose »

Offline kenkay

• Radcliffe, Manchester, UK
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
If it's 6 lira then that's no problem, I'm not buying it. I'll have a couple before I go out then another 4 or 5 couples when I get back  ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 09:24:28 AM »
I do hope CBF members who only vist Calis as holiday makers announce, loudly, and at every available opportunity when sharing a bar with ex-pats: "6TL! Wow, that's cheap! It's only just over 2 quid!". That should cause ructions.

Offline Steve (redding43)

• Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
quote:
No one seems to notice the extortionate price of soft drinks. There are some places on the front that charge 2 lira for a small bottle of water or soda and thats something like a 500% mark up!

So, about 80p for a bottle of water and a seat in a restaurant/bar by the beach? Is that so bad?

Based on your argument then McDonalds should be sent down for a long time......

Offline anna-marie01

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
Colwyn I think you are talking absolute rubbish!! :-\ We 'ex-pats' don't work in £'s we work in Turkish Lira as we live here! Whether you agree with it or not, we 'ex-pats' help sustain alot of businesses over the winter months when Calis is a dead and alive hole!! Therefore we feel like we are being 'ripped off' once the season starts when the bars/restaurants want to charge over double the price for a beer. I am not saying that I don't agree with a little increase, but this is verging on the ridiculous. [:(!]Maybe if you lived here your perception would alter too.

Offline tinkerman

• Prolific Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:33 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by philrose

quote:
Originally posted by bewva

Good point that. No one seems to notice the extortionate price of soft drinks. There are some places on the front that charge 2 lira for a small bottle of water or soda and thats something like a 500% mark up!

Don't pay the mark up price! buy a bottle of water and drink it at home, that should teach them a lesson! :D

Offline philrose

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
I also noticed the "all you can eat" menu at Serkul 1/2 has now gone up from 18 to 25 lira!

Offline Toky

• Prolific Member
  • Every day's a day for dancing
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
It's the slippery slope downwards charging 6TL for a bottle of mediocre beer.That makes it just over £2 at today's exchange rate and that is ore expensive than some prices here in UK. I believe it's not only the scenery, but the prices that brings tourists to an area and like  alot of countires before, folks will look elsewhere to get the best value for their mony. It must be infuriating for folks living there to see such a price hike. We noticed that too very briefly last year, when boards outside restaurants got changed from the last week in April when we arrived, to the start of May, our second week. They almost all went up in price. I feel for the bar owners to, who have to fall into line. That's tough for them as they know well it will have an impact on their business.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:04 AM »
I have spoken to a lot of people who have been travelling in different parts of Turkey recently and they say that they can't believe how cheap the prices are here in the Fethiye areas for both food and drinks  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf