Author Topic: How to kill a resort in one easy mistake  (Read 21282 times)

Offline Captain Squiffy

• Mr Permafrost
  • Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
How to kill a resort in one easy mistake
« on: April 27, 2012, 17:06:37 PM »
Apparently, all the restaurant/bar owners, plus the Calis Dernigi have had a meeting and as from the first of May they have fixed the price of a beer at 6tl(whether or not price fixing is legal or not is still up for disscussion).

This seems to be their way of thanking the ex-pats who have supported them throughout the longest, coldest, wettest winter in 35 years and kept them going. Rather like a kick in the teeth I think.

Apparently,they all think that this will be the way to "encourage" a "better class" of people to Calis. Clearly, their business accumen is sadly lacking. Have they never heard of "LOSS LEADERS"? Get bums on seats and then perhaps people will spend more. Put the prices up and you will get far fewer bums on seats.

Calis is Calis and will never be a 5 star resort, no matter what the misguided aspirations of a few rich business men maybe.

You are left with your own choices - as for me, a BBQ in the garden with a slab of Tuborg will suffice.

Should my information be wrong, then perhaps one of the Calis Dernegi or one of the restaurant owners  could correct me.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 17:14:26 PM by Captain Squiffy »

Offline lance

• Prolific Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 17:10:39 PM »
Don't they say this every year there's going to be a set price but there never is ,think all talk as usual.

Offline Captain Squiffy

• Mr Permafrost
  • Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 17:18:14 PM »
We will have to wait and see. Although, some of the owners seem to think that it is all highly ammusing to treat us like a "cash crop".

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 17:18:45 PM »
I'm with Lance on this, same thing is said every year, but it doesn't take too long before those with the emptier restaurants break rank, and drop the price.  In fact they try to do the same in Hisaranu every year too.

Offline karaokemark

• Chesterfield, UK

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 17:51:23 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Squiffy

Apparently,they all think that this will be the way to "encourage" a "better class" of people to Calis.

Sorely needed in my opinion ;)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 17:58:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Squiffy

Have they never heard of "LOSS LEADERS"?
Have you never heard of "MARGINAL COSTING"? If the bars/restaurants earn enough money over the summer they can get through the winter just by covering their costs. If they charged winter prices in the summer they would go bust. What is all this whinging from ex-pats about having to pay more in the summer? Would you prefer to pay summer prices all year round?

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 17:58:48 PM »
There was a meeting last September at which time this was agreed. I am led to believe that some of those attending walked out in disgust.  From what I've seen during my years in Calis & Fethiye, some bar and restaurant owners give locals and residents a discount. By Turkish standards, many Turks think that most people from the UK are wealthy and thus 'soft touches'.

Offline desmartinson

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 18:01:39 PM »
Do you live here now Colwyn[?]

Offline Ray1951

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 18:04:24 PM »
There was a meeting about this in September last year at which some of the attendants walked out.  However some bars and restaurants do give discounted prices to locals, regulars and ex-pats.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf