Author Topic: Wine  (Read 3505 times)

Offline mkwhite

Wine
« on: June 17, 2012, 15:34:39 PM »
I am sure I have asked this before but I cannot find it on search.
Can anyone recommend some drinkable Turkish wine and what sort of price are we looking at in shops/restaurants.

Offline reddevil

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 19:00:54 PM »
Try Agora (not to be confused with Angora) Sauvignon Blanc - between 11 and 12 TL in Migros. Much nicer than some of the more expensive Turkish wines.

Offline jo b

• Chandler's Ford, UK
Re: Wine
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 22:03:26 PM »
We are red wine drinkers...and are usually happy to drink Dikman whilst out in Turkey.

We always arrive home and have a sip of our usual.....Aussie, Spanish , Argentinian etc and heave a sigh of contentment!

In our opinion Turkish wine is ok....but not anything to write home about!

Offline hotfootirene

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 22:52:31 PM »
Having done my fair share of wine tasting trying to find a drinkable white. My personal preference is Biricik which is inexpensive and Azda stocks it

Offline mac2010

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »
Kavak white .12,50tl shops -rests 30tl.
Angora white/red. 16tl shops- rests 35tl.
Villa Dulça klasik white/red 18tl shops-rests 40-48tl.
Yakut white/red 28tl shops-rests 55tl.
Echo falls red/ white/ rose 35tl shops-rests 65tl.
Majestic red/white/ rose-15tl shops- rests 30-35tl
 I have tried all of these and found them all very drinkable,Dikman is a bit harsh for me :o Most big supermarkets  sale all these and more ,sometimes on offer at lower prices but above are average costs.Some smaller supermarkets do large 2lıtre whites/reds which can be good some times when ice cold.Your on holiday try afew ..Have a go..

Offline corbindallas

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:37 AM »
I have to say as a regular subscriber to Virgin Wine, Majestic and Laithwaites  :angel: when in the UK this is the one side that I really miss living in Turkey. The wine here is nowhere near the quality available in the UK, and to get a decent bottle in Turkey means you have to pay a premium that hurts the taste if you get my drift. Even the ones that taste ok leave a reminder the next day with a pounding head, something the ones in the Uk don't do to me! Often  ;)

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:33:29 PM »
Angora, Majestik both red & white quite pleasant, but in the region on 13 - 15tl a bottle. Best by far is Sava, only stocked by Carrefour at 9tl

Offline valleyboy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 13:36:57 PM »
My wife drinks red wine and she agrees with you Liz about the Sava sold in Carrefour for just under 9 Lira, she finds it quite acceptable particularly at that price !, there again she is easily pleased !!   ;)  :)

Offline starman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 14:12:32 PM »
Angora, villa doluca and dikmen should be avoided like the plague. Very poor low quality which barely passes by the name of wine. There is a good seresin but I tend to generally avoid Turkish wines. A good summer wine to have that isnt that expensive is pinot grigio blush.

Offline Cavfan

• Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 14:24:48 PM »
We always arrive home and have a sip of our usual.....Aussie, Spanish , Argentinian etc and heave a sigh of contentment!

In our opinion Turkish wine is ok....but not anything to write home about!

I have to agree with that. As a white wine drinker I have struggled to find an acceptable drink - to be fair its not been too hard a struggle and has been over a good 23 years! So you could say I'm a trier!
I cant really do Dikman and theres another thats sold in vats - Altieneppe or something like that, its a bit like a chardonnay which I used to be able to palatte and now even the thought makes by tummy do a 180degree! Eugh! But saying that I can no longer do a chardonnay anyway! I find the Angora the best along with Cankaya- can do either but neither cheap! Well not for Turkey anyway. We have paid a ridiculous amount for Angora but that was at the Sat and it was at lunch time and we'd had about 3 bottles! We had a lovely time!
Nevsha(?) is ok too but wasnt as widely available last year?
We have occasioned into Rose territory and find the Villa Doluca one of the best- Lal is a little too sweet!
To be fair though so long as its icy cold its ok- the cold detracts from the flavour anyway!

I am making it my project to find a half decent prosecco/cava Turkish dupe now!
 :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf