Author Topic: Changes in Calis  (Read 12880 times)

Offline Menthol

Changes in Calis
« on: January 16, 2014, 23:08:41 PM »
Courtesy of Turkey's For Life - big changes to the canal near the beach

http://www.turkeysforlife.com/2014/01/calis-canal-work-pathway-fethiye-turkey.html

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
Re: Changes in Calis
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »
Yes, we stood on the iron bridge down the water taxi canal near to Club E and the tent bar the other day watching this massive JCB ripping out the banks and all of the tall grasses and reeds, I suppose it's progress but we couldn't help feeling that a bit of the 'magic' of our area was being removed forever.

It will look smart when it's finished, maybe even a bit sterile, but long gone will be our days on the water taxi sat watching the array of wildlife that live amongst those reeds with our mate Jim looking for 'Nam' hiding in what he calls the Mekong Delta. 

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
Does anyone know if it will extend past the wooden bridge? I mean water taxi side up the canal past the Mutlu. Surely not...

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
Yep already started to rip up the bank opposite the Water Taxis, well along a bit anyway, when I looked yesterday it was only as far as the green bridge.  Not sure at this stage where they are going.

They also started on the opposite bank (nearest the beach) and were tearing up the narrow boardwalk path that follows the curve of the river back to the main road.

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 09:10:09 AM »
Anyway why are we referencing another site when this matter has been covered for months on the CBF, indeed on the work in and around the town your local intrepid CBF reporters were a clear week ahead of these jokers.

What a writing style - critique not criticism before anyone starts  ;) - it was more like a restaurant report from a pompous local paper's 'Food Correspondent'.  Might of easily looked like this:

My partner and I enjoyed the quaint Calis atmosphere, though it seems that the numbers of locally re-introduced wildlife was mysteriously going down.  Anyway onto the meal, we both started with the soup, and then we both moved onto the Duck Ördek Adası, made from only local ingredients and Oh, how we love Duck Ördek Adası!!

Don't move that dial keep it real on CBF I say.........

Offline philrose

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:16 AM »
Anyway why are we referencing another site when this matter has been covered for months on the CBF, indeed on the work in and around the town your local intrepid CBF reporters were a clear week ahead of these jokers.

Perhaps because some people like it  ;)

http://www.calis-beach.co.uk/forum/calis_beach_questions_and_information/great_resource_firsttime_visitors_36400.msg176967.html#msg176967

Offline Steve A

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
Still makes me sad when I look at all of the development, but that's what they call progress.methinks our little bit of heaven is become more like everywhere else

Offline usedbustickets

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Does anyone know if it will extend past the wooden bridge? I mean water taxi side up the canal past the Mutlu. Surely not...
  As a further update on your Question Keith.  As I said before they have started to work on the bank opposite the water taxis, down as far as the green pedestrian bridge by the Club E.  It looks like they are digging out quite a bit to not just erect the stone work etc. but to also widen the canal at this point.  The other side of the water taxi bridge, B52 side continues on at a pace and the stone work is now at the first point of the bend back towards the main road, they have also begun to backfill behind the stone work between the B52 and the golden moon, big area there now... ripe for building.  The beach side bank has had all of the boardwalk path lighting removed, ready now for the diggers.... not sure if they will attempt to widen the canal at this point, as they have done on the other side of the bridge, as the road is quite narrow ...... but you never know!!

Sorry on the absence of piccies, but did not take the camera.... I will ask Hans and Lottie, the Turkey Life Food correspondents to take some next time they are down there  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline philrose

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 14:06:07 PM »
Taken today the current canal work can be seen on the right, along with the soon to be demolished taxi boat buildings on the left.....

Offline Rimms

• Whisky Fingered Lavvy Director
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 17:52:43 PM »
Similar photo taken today

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf