Author Topic: Tommy Cooper  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Colwyn

• Prolific Member
Re: Tommy Cooper
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 17:16:15 PM »
I thought it was a very good programme and Thelfall's acting brilliant - once I had got over the strange way make-up has stuffed his face. For me Tommy Cooper was the funniest person I ever saw on TV; like a great many others I started laughing when he walked on screen. The two British double acts mentioned above were also very good, although not a patch on the great Laurel & Hardy of course.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 17:31:05 PM »
Laurel & Hardy, NOW you're talking !!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Susiepink

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 17:37:23 PM »
It was all 'of the day'  I was never keen on Morcambe and Wise. I thought 2 Ronnie's were better, but today's comedy acts surpass them by a mile. Peter Kay, Michael Macintyre, John Bishop, there's loads to pick from but it make  the comedians of the 60s and 70s look very tame

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 17:44:06 PM »
I think it must be age related and about enjoying the comedians of your day. Personally I didn't like 2 Ronnies, Dick Emery, Morecombe and Wise etc, and as for the likes of Bernard Manning.... Ewww
I grew up with Julie. Walters, Victoria Wood,  Harry Enfield, Rik Mayall, Rowan Atkinson, my favourite is Frank Skinner and still find them funny and 'today ' I like John Bishop, and Stuart Lee
Gordon must be older than I thought.

Offline GordonA

• Chauvanist Clown & Resident Curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 18:00:41 PM »
I think it must be age related and about enjoying the comedians of your day. Personally I didn't like 2 Ronnies, Dick Emery, Morecombe and Wise etc, and as for the likes of Bernard Manning.... Ewww
I grew up with Julie. Walters, Victoria Wood,  Harry Enfield, Rik Mayall, Rowan Atkinson, my favourite is Frank Skinner and still find them funny and 'today ' I like John Bishop, and Stuart Lee
Gordon must be older than I thought.

Hey, no ageism please, and if you take a look at my " Avatar ", you will see my age written there !!  ( I'll do the jokes, thank you very muckle ) !!  ;-)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 18:12:32 PM »
No matter who they are or when they were about - if they appeal to your sense of humour then they are funny!

Me? Love M&W, TC, Jasper Carrot, Wood and Walters, Only Fools, Peter Kaye, Frank Skinner, Dave Allen. Can't laugh at Miranda, Manning, Bishop, Macintyre.

Offline scorcher

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 18:23:33 PM »
Chic Murray was always good for a laugh - and I agree with others re. Frank Skinner.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 18:36:06 PM »

Me? Love M&W, TC, Jasper Carrot, Wood and Walters, Only Fools, Peter Kaye, Frank Skinner, Dave Allen. Can't laugh at Miranda, Manning, Bishop, Macintyre.

Yep, we're all different. From your list I can't remember Victoria Wood saying anything remotely funny ever, Jasper Carrot was funny for about 2 years then should have been shot, and I find McIntyre, Manning and Bishop relatively good. Agree on the rest - Dave Allen was a genius. Even as popular as he was, I think he was hugely underrated.

In modern times I like Paul Merton, absolutely love Sean Lock, hate those two women who do the baking programme I think (Mel & Sue is it? Hugely unfunny), and can't stand that beardy one who wears all the brown corduroy.

Offline usedbustickets

• Institute for the hard of understanding
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 18:38:25 PM »
Never got Frank Skinner,  macintire,bishop, Whitehall, brand and howard are the worst of the modern lot for my money.

Over the years I saw many of the great comedians live but funnily enough never managed to catch  cooper and morecombe and wise, though I loved what they did on tv.  I would have liked to see billy Connolly but I wouldn't pay the ridiculous ticket price.

Best of the live in no particular order canon and ball, tarbuck - surprise myself there - Lenny Henry, jimmy jones, dukes and lee, roger de courcey and nookie bear,  and the biggest surprise who was unexpectedly funny tom o conner.  Worst of the live Freddie star and the nasty  Jim Davidson.

Laurel and hardy sublime,

Offline Bluwise

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 18:56:35 PM »
TC just wasn't funny to me but…….Freddy Starr - cringe-worthy, embarrassing, sad.  I turn the TV over at the mention of his or Brian Blessed's name - horror!
I know Brian is not a comedian but if he's on a show he tries to be funny and it's awful - nothing more than a booming voice - and that isn't clever.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf