Author Topic: Sea pollution ????  (Read 53581 times)

Offline scorcher

Re: Sea pollution ????
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 17:01:53 PM »
Poor spelling is a result of fast typing I'm reliably informed - nothing to do with knowledge.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 17:04:57 PM »
And productive tuxt

Offline Blindside

• Newly Registered
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 17:08:15 PM »
Is Jacqui in charge of planning in the region now?

The "authorities" allowed it or were duped by the builders/owners and if so they should be made an example of. Either way it does need to be sorted. As someone else said, perhaps the water discolouration is due to additional algae growth?

It is a disgrace though as looking around from the water taxi and from Kings Garden it really is a beautiful  area. If the powers that be could resist the easy money and maintain very high standards (and pumping raw sewage into the sea isn't) then it could remain as somewhere special.

If they lose sight of that and/or chase the lowest common denominator then it will end up like any other shi@@ole and then the question would be why come here?

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 17:13:40 PM »

The "authorities" allowed it or were duped by the builders/owners

Hotel Dumps Raw Sewage in Sea - But the Blame Lies Elsewhere

If I'd run a pipe from my sewage pipe into Fethiye bay I don't think "Oh the builder/authorities said it would be ok" is going to get me off the hook!!!

Get real people!!

Offline Jacqui Harvey

• Prolific Member
  • Antiques are Green
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 17:54:47 PM »
I remember that there was a lot of bad feeling on the Koca Calis F.B. page about the Sensatori and it's uncaring management pumping sewage into the river behind the place.  A river that was full of fish and life then it was full of poo.  I know the local ex-pats  became very angry and one guy had written a lot of letters and not had much luck getting any action.  He did get a meeting with the Site Manager and was offered 1 week in the resort, probably to keep him quiet.   The resort also dug up all the local roads with their heavy plant and again made the locals mad as the roads became difficult to drive on.
I have no idea who gave them permission to pump sewage into the sea.  However, perhaps someone can answer the question, who gave them permission to fence off a public beach? I read comments about this on the Koca Calis Forum too.  I am sure if you have the money anything is possible.

As for spelling, who cares, I don't . I type at over 70 w.p.m. always have and I make lots of mistakes my fingers act before I get my brain in gear and will continue to do so. So get used to it folks.    Seems I touched a raw nerve though.  If I where/were/wear defending a big resort at every opportunity even to the point of calling  people I have know for years names, like sh@t stirrers  and trashing them on the Forum we all belong to.  I would also try to deviate from the subject as well, knowing the usual suspects would come in and be tricked into changing the subject from something important to something silly.   

Offline Blindside

• Newly Registered
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 20:27:47 PM »
Maybe a local politician was so keen on landing the jobs/economic benefit and kudos associated with a new, large, high-end development from a major industry player in a targetted area he turned a blind eye and moved on before it all hit the fan? He/she might have felt that it's not the best beach in the world anyway so what's a bit more rubbish until it's resolved on someone else's watch/never.

Maybe, the hotel owner got an "independent" marine biology/environmental company to provide an official analysis that determined that the wind/tide/current/local environmental factors meant that the sewage would be broken up naturally and would therefore cause no harm whatsoever? That would enable the local authority to pass the development and subsequently blame the independent "experts" if it were all BS.

Maybe, it will be broken up naturally and not cause a problem 90% of the year apart from peak season and they need to sort that bit of the year out differently?

All hypothetical but possible scenarios. Mostly anything is possible with enough money. Doesn't make it right or pleasant or seem to be a good long term decision for the area.

Offline KKOB

• Prolific Member
  • I'm hearing the word.... Nonce !
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 20:35:19 PM »
As for spelling, who cares, I don't . I type at over 70 w.p.m. always have and I make lots of mistakes my fingers act before I get my brain in gear and will continue to do so.

Ah, so you type all the correct letters, but not necessarily in the correct order.

Offline Scunner

• Chairman of the Bored
  • Administrator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 20:36:26 PM »

All hypothetical but possible scenarios.

All hypothetical scenarios that could perhaps in some way mean the hotel is not at fault.

If the hotel is pumping raw sewage into the bay then the fault lies with them. Not marine biologists, or the local authority, or some long since gone politician, or the builder, or anyone else.

If it is the case that the hotel is pumping raw sewage into the bay, the hotel and the hotel alone is responsible and the hotel and the hotel alone would be held accountable. A big boy did it and ran away doesn't work in Turkey either.

Offline Blindside

• Newly Registered
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 20:51:44 PM »
I agree Scunner, ultimately the hotel owners are responsible in any event. It's their pipe. I'm merely trying to illustrate how everyone in the loop (at the appropriate time) might know the pipe is there and it be allowed.

It might be perfectly legal. Unpleasant but all signed off and allowed.

I'd hope not as there was a load of it swilling about- it's not an overspill from CBF is it???  :)

Offline stoop

• Cerial Killer
  • Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 23:53:35 PM »
So I guess they don't have building inspectors? I would have thought the place would need a certificate or ten before it was allowed to open for business.

Same with the staff accommodation. Who allowed them to build it in the middle of a lake when there is so much land available that would be far more suitable?

My underlying thought is that if they are actually causing the pollution then its more likely through crap workmanship than deliberate actions. Either way it should have been picked up by the building inspectors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf