Author Topic: Winter clothes and food for children urgently required!  (Read 6466 times)

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
Winter clothes and food for children urgently required!
« on: December 18, 2015, 14:11:37 PM »
There is a small refugee camp near Dalaman with about twenty adults and 50 children.

The lovely people from EJ's in Çaliş are going on Monday at about 1pm and are looking for donations of warm WINTER clothing, blankets and food which can be dropped off at their little cafe/restaurant.

This is their message on Facebook.

Hi friends, on Monday we are going down to a place close to us where a lot of refugees are camped, they are in dire need or supplies such as clothes, blankets and food (especially food) so I am asking if anyone is in our area and could donate anything we would be extremely grateful! You can drop them down to our cafe either today or tomorrow or on Monday morning. Even to spend a few lira at the local shop for some rice/pasta or anything. Thanks again xxx

Because there are so many children there I am sure they would love to receive toys as well.

This is their Facebook page link if anyone needs to contact them or find out where on the prom they are.

www.facebook.com/EJs-cafe-648862288472002/

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
Re: Winter clothes and food for children urgently required!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 22:31:53 PM »
Hi Nicola

I can't believe no one has replied to your message, I only wish I was there to do something, I'm sure though that they will get more support on the day from our kind hearted lot on here, Come on folks, children are children whoever or wherever they are in the world, what's the price of an efes if it helps keep a child warm.
Is there a donation page I could donate to?

markar

Offline Highlander

• Lord of the Rings
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 22:57:48 PM »
Unfortunately perhaps two threads running with an appeal for the same thing.

Hopefully enough people will come forward to help both causes.

Offline kayakebab

• Too Normal For Calis?
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 23:16:25 PM »
A fair few of us have donated items today and word is spreading.
We're buying food and donating bedding, toys etc.
Are you living here?

Offline MarKar

• Newly Registered
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 23:41:25 PM »
That's more like it, good to hear news is spreading.
No unfortunately I don't live in turkey otherwise would do more to help, as have done here in the UK.

Markar

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 07:35:36 AM »
WE will bring some food this morning after doing our shopping in Fethiye.

How close can we park to EJ's as I'm not sure where it is from the road, we always park and walk from the end of the prom.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 07:46:58 AM »
Thank you for your comment Markar. I was just coming on here to post an update which I will do in a moment having somehow lost everything I have just written. But first just to quickly answer Don's message.

EJ's is not open on Saturday and Sunday so any more donations should be dropped off on Monday morning. As they intend to leave about 1pm I would recommend no later than 12 o'clock to allow them time to pack the cars.

Offline Liz 101

• Prolific Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 07:52:58 AM »
Closest place to park for EJ's is at the back of the Ceren hotel, which is just past all the building work happening on the old Seketur site

Offline DonM

• Newly Registered
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »
Thanks Nichola will take it on Monday, we don't have any clothes it will be food and toys.

If they need any more transport we would love to help out.

Offline nichola

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
I saw Jessica and Ender last night and what was missing from their original post was the fact that the majority of those in this particular camp are children: babies, toddlers and very young children. I think most people will have assumed as I had before speaking to Ender earlier in the day on the phone that adult clothes were needed. Also a lot of the children are quite poorly, unsurprising really considering the conditions they are living in.

I have copy and pasted this from Facebook posted by someone who recently visited.

There is a large warehouse on the site and 7-8 tents put up, with twenty families living in the camp. We saw about 50 kids of different ages. There are almost no mattresses, cushions or blankets in the tents. They were trying to cook on open fires outside, which means we can also take them some foodstuff in order for them to cook for themselves. The below list seems the most urgent stuff to support these people in these winter conditions:

-mattresses, blankets, cushions and bed sheets
-winter clothes and shoes-boots
-pots & pans and kitchen gadgets
-foodstuff
-baby food and nappies / hygienic pads for women
-toys and stationery for kids
-soap and cleaning stuff / plastic washbowls for washing and dishes

This is likely to be be an ongoing situation with the harshest winter months yet to come. To date we have been blessed with amazing warm sunny weather in the day but temperatures at night are already starting to fall to close to freezing.

Donations

If anyone wants to make a donation I will be more than happy to accept it via my PayPal account and I will personally guarantee that every penny is spent appropriately and feedback on here amounts raised and how it is spent. As I said this is an ongoing situation so although this trip is scheduled for Monday there will be more in the New Year.

My PayPal account name is theturkishtradingcompany@gmail.com

Make it a personal gift so no fee is deducted from the amount sent and so every penny of your donation counts. If you don't know how to do this let me know and I will spell out the steps.

In the message box simply just write children and your name and do not under any circumstances write Syria or even refugees otherwise I will have the money laundering and anti terrorist police all over me like a rash. As I have closed my web site no other money is coming into this account so I will know what it is for anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf